You Must Read This

hello guys, i am just wondering if anything like this has happened to you,s, i got a phone call last night about 8.30 of a MATE (sid) asking if i can give him a hand to knock a few rabbits down with him so i said yes, so i picked him up and i had my son and my ferreting and hunting partner (andrew) with me, so we go to the farm and we do a few setts with no success, then we are doing a 30 hole sett when a farmer of the bottom farm walks up to my mate andrew and asks how we are getting on so as a rabbit bolts he said 1, good timing, anyway they are talking away about the mole problem on the fields and he asks andrew if we do moles and he tells him that we have just started learning the mole trapping game, so he gives the farmer a card with our number on it and the farmer said he will be in touch with us to have a go at them so it is turning out to be a good day or so i thought, anyway the farmer asks andrew if he could pop down to the bottom of his field and do the setts in his wood as they are every where so YES was the answer,and the ferrets come out and we start to take all the nets of and sid shoots over to the farmer and tells him to discard the card what was passed to him and tells him to phone his farmer friend to get his number for the ferreting permission, WHAT THE FCUK, anyway the farmer goes on his way and i tell my son to go to the car for some new locator batteries because what is going to be said is not for his ears, so i ask him why has he just stood on my mates toes and his reply was i was talking to him on sunday about the ferreting, and i said well if he wanted you to do the rabbits he would of said to you on sunday or shouted you over as he was only on the other side of the fence and he could clearly see you as he was only 25 ft away from you, and all he said was that he was talking to him on sunday, ??? , the point of the matter is that we were going to do moles for the man with the ferreting being the perks of the job, he thought he was missing out on something or so he thought, anyway i kept my cool until we done the wood and ended up with 10 rabbits and by then i was so peed off i said thats it and we packed up, when we got home i dropped him of last so i could have it out with him and all he could say was that he asked him for the ferreting on sunday, so what do you lads make of that, and it is not finished with yet, round 2 tomorrow when i go to see him again as it is nowhere near done with. :censored:

Edited by rabbitmad

You were on his permission as a guest and off the back of his permission got some ferreting (albeit with some mole trapping) if I was him I'd be pissed. He invites you to help his permission (helping you out) and rather than saying 'I'm just helping out (name) but I reckon we could with (name) have a crack at moles for you; that way when the rabbiting was offered he wouldn't have felt like you were stealing the land he was aiming for and the farmer he was massaging.

I think he could have handled it better than he did but tbh if I was him is be livid.

• Like 2

hello mate i was helping him out, and he doesn,t do moles, he is 50 yr old and and 19 stone and he cannot even kill a rabbit because he has bad arms, and the permission we were on was mine and his permission anyway as he had the farm next to this farm and we both offered our services to this farm, but as it goes people get greedy, And i put of doing my own farms to help him out, my mate was not in the wrong as he was asked by the farmer if he could do the moles and he said yes and that is why he gave him a card with a number on it, so as a friendly gesture the farmer asked if he could do the wood to remove a few rabbits for him while we were there, tell me this is the farmer going to pay for the moles getting removed or would he rather see rabbits get took of his land for free as well ?, i have never been in this game to stand on anyones toes and never will, but if we get a job to do of a farmer we will do it, we have enough permission to do for rabbits to last a lifetime, and i have permission of farms where there is 3 different lots of people doing it as it is a lot of land just like this farm, so you can say he is peed off but who is to say that he wont get the permission as well as us. he just shouldn,t of pulled the farmer like he did and gone and seen him in his own time, plus he has no transport to get anywhere so it feels like he has used me for the last 10 or so years to go and do his farms , like i said i was doing him a favour not him helping me out as he has never helped me on my farms because he cannot do the walking that is needed to get to the setts, i helped him as i thought he was a very good mate but i was wrong,it will be sorted out today when i go to see him as he might think my mate was shocking for doing that but he should of waited and found out what was said before he said what he did considering he wont do moles as that was what the permission on the land is for and not the rabbits, atb rabbitmad.

Edited by rabbitmad

I totally agree how he went about it was wrong and if it was a shared permission then that's a little different; I could just imagine how I'd see it if it was my permission and people I'd brought with me started yoinking neighbouring permissions without cutting me in... But if it's as you say sounds like you should simply just stop ferreting with him. If he needs you more than he needs you it'll impact him more.

It's supposed to be a pleasant activity remember?!

hello mate, i love the sport and always will but it needs to be sorted out between us as i cannot let it sit on my mind like it is, i have text him and am going to see him later on today to sort it out properly, as we have been good mates for a long time and it doesn,t feel right, i will let you know how i get on, atb rabbitmad.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some new permission about 2 years ago and i asked a friend of mine to give me a hand to knock down the rabbit numbers over the first few days. I had asked the farmer to let the land owners of the farms bordering his land that we would be working the hedges on the lane between the farms. On the second day one of the other farmers asked me to call in and see him the following weekend to take a look at the rat problem in the barns.Then driving past two days later just to check out the rabbits, who should i see but the so called friend walking in the farm yard with air rifle in hand. Of course we had words :nono::chair: but from then on i will always keep my permission to myself even when two or more pairs of hands would have been useful.

• Like 2

hello mate,i caught him today at a bird auction and had a few words with him, as it said in the posts he needed me more than i needed him, i have plenty of land to do and it was a favour i was doing for him and i wouldn,t want his land considering we shared the bordering land but i can say that is no more after today haha, let him have it i don,t need it and don,t care i am better of without him, i have new land to go and check out tomorrow and there is moles to do as well, i have that much land i will not stop all year so i am good and my grafting partner has a smile on him like a cheshire cat now he knows i have come to my senses and got rid, the fact of the matter is that we were asked to do the moles and he should of had more faith in his mate who i have done a lot for, more than a lot of people, it is him who is stuck with this land and cannot get to it now, so i am happy doing my own land and that is how it is going to stay, thanks, atb rabbitmad. :tongue2:

• Like 1

I'm glad I've got a couple of mates I enjoy going out with, we share each others land, but never go to each others permo without the permo holder present, NEVER,

We've thousands of acres between us, and it allows land to be rotated, you'd never ferret the hedges on your own successfully any way....

If I've read this right, you've hunted with this man for 10 years, and only now decided he's a dick :hmm: either he's used you for 10 years, or you've used him, it doesn't sound like the type of hunting pairings I'm used to... unlucky to you... or him maybe...

• Like 1

I'm glad I've got a couple of mates I enjoy going out with, we share each others land, but never go to each others permo without the permo holder present, NEVER,

We've thousands of acres between us, and it allows land to be rotated, you'd never ferret the hedges on your own successfully any way....

If I've read this right, you've hunted with this man for 10 years, and only now decided he's a dick :hmm: either he's used you for 10 years, or you've used him, it doesn't sound like the type of hunting pairings I'm used to... unlucky to you... or him maybe...

was thinking the same newkid and another thing rabbit mad you say hes 50 and your 19 stone and what age are you ?

• Like 1

We had 31 off of a bit a month or so back, it's Sam's permo but he's not always about, another group of lads turned up ferrets etc ( no one else has permission here)... they caught a glimpse of us and there was a Mexican stand off for 10m mins, then they came over, they had permision on the land next door, and jumped on here fro time to time, when Sam told them "it's only me who has permission" they left.. no worries,

This land is an hour or more from Sam, probably 10 mins from me... he asked me to walk the dogs on it for him, " you can ferret if you want"... I said I wouldn't and I'd wait till he was back next season and we'd go up then, I'll walk the dogs around it, but it's his Permo not mine.

You can lose mates quickly over stuff like this, when it's so simple not to.... If they have the permission, it's there land to choose what to do.if you're approached by someone on there land the conversation is their's to have IMO.....

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 3

Aye it's a bad trick, if someone takes you in their land you don't go back on it.

But let me ask you something?

If you were taken out by someone to help clear some of their land as the farmers were on at them.... You did a good job, killed a good bag. Happy farmer.

Obviously you are at the mercy of when they call you in.

However ..... They are less obsessive than you, and go out only occasionally. They don't really make a serious dent in the rabbits. And you know it doesn't wash with the farmer.

But you can't say or do anything..... It's their land.

Right up until the farmer gets so hacked off they give the Land to another group of lads.... Who do the job proper.

Now your mates lost his land.

We see it a fair bit.

hello, well newkid i am 13 stone and quite strong but i have grafted my c**k of all my life and kept myself like this and i have just gone 42 but he might be 50 and 19 stone and he has lived of benefits all his life, big difference, the permission was both ours to do as we both were there to ask the farmer for permission, and it is him who jumped the gun about the rabbits as it was about moles , it was my ferreting partner who the other farmer approached to ask about the moles, and as i said about my ex mate he doesn,t do moles and never has because he probably couldn,t, and he never rotates his land all he thinks about is getting rabbits to take to the game dealer so he can have a few quid to put his horses or football bets on, he never put juice in the motor or helped when i had land to do as i said earlier in a post that a lot of my land is on fells and hilly in places, it is him who loses out not me so i don,t really care, he might of took me for a mug as some of you will say but when you thought he was a true friend and sh*t like this happens the truth always comes out and i dont care as i am sorted and saving loads of cash because i am not running that divvy about and my land is getting done proper now and the farmers and such are happy to see me more often, and i buy traps nets and such with my money when i go to the game dealers like many others i know so good all round, so HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:bye::bye:

Edited by rabbitmad

Never mentioned your age, weight or your work ethic anywhere mate....

I just find it a little strange you say you've hunted with a bloke for 10 years, and now he's a real dick, used you, etc.. It wouldn't take me 10 years to suss someone I hope... If I'm on a bit with the lads I hunt with, no matter whose, and we're approached, it's a bonus for all, if it's Sean's, micks or mine we all get the benefit.... I would imagine that's the same for most who ferret with another couple of lads...

• Like 1

Aye it's a bad trick, if someone takes you in their land you don't go back on it.

But let me ask you something?

If you were taken out by someone to help clear some of their land as the farmers were on at them.... You did a good job, killed a good bag. Happy farmer.

Obviously you are at the mercy of when they call you in.

However ..... They are less obsessive than you, and go out only occasionally. They don't really make a serious dent in the rabbits. And you know it doesn't wash with the farmer.

But you can't say or do anything..... It's their land.

Right up until the farmer gets so hacked off they give the Land to another group of lads.... Who do the job proper.

Now your mates lost his land.

We see it a fair bit.

Tough call mate,

It's not most of ours jobs, so sometimes you lose bits to the pros I suppose

Bit we done last week was meant it have been gassed last year, we had 51, mick ferreted it and long netted it one night in the week, as well so over 100 rabbits in a couple of weeks trips... But we're not trying to completely clear either...

You can only do what you can I suppose mate, most of us have enough ( maybe too much) without going back on others anyway.

The big farm I do mainly, is not an easy place, never big numbers, but had a few hundred over the last 3 years or so off it, I just keep the farmer in the loop, let him know we're still knocking away at it, if he's going to let someone else on he will any way nothing us hobby hunters can do about it IMO..

• Like 1