Close Range Shooting Vs Long Range (What Is More Dangerous)

Hello,

A friend and I where having a discusion this evening. He said it's dangerous to shoot at distances over 400 yards because the further you shoot the more chance of having a bullet bouncing up at a object and going over the backstop.

I thought that the more distance you shoot the more angle the bullets has over the surface when hitting a object and less chance of bouncing up at a object.

In my opinion in a close range shot when the bullet is traveling at the same angle as the surface the chance of bouncing is much bigger.

Anyone has got experience with this?

post-89319-0-19694900-1392675047_thumb.jpg

Thanks alot!

Gr Jacco

Edited by bbjaccov5
  • 2 weeks later...

To be honest the distance is irrelevant when speaking of safety. Your diagram if I understand it suggests the bullet will ricochet.

The shot IMO should ONLY EVER be made once three criteria have been met

1) The shot is within a distance that meets the shooters and bullets capability

2) There is a clear and well defined back stop

3) The target/quarry has been 100% identified.

I would say 99% of accidents involving shooting fall outside the three criteria.

• Like 2

Quite agree with Seekers explanation, and I must confess to not understanding your diagram, as it suggests the bullet will ricochet at around 225 yards, expedited by some mysterious force, it is quite simple, if you dont have a good safe backstop behind whatever you are shooting at, DO NOT PULL THE TRIGGER.

• Like 2

Personally I would say that the distance shot would create a more dangerous environment. Simply because you cannot predict how it's going to behave and the distance may contain something you don't want to land a round in.

Know your target and what lies behind and beyond it.

Are we talking JFK magic bullets here? LOL :hmm:

Depends on what it hits on the way to target and one it hit target and then maybe goes through target.

I agree with Seeker mostly but i suppose it could be possible for a large deflection from something.

Its not always possible to do this obviously but the only way to be totally sure you hit nothing is to know exactly how far your bullet could go (ie half mile, mile etc) and then make sure there's nothing within that circumference from target. :whistling:

He is correct on two points. 1. the bullet will be traveling slower and will have as a result lost a lot of its frangibility on impact hence ballistically a ricochet can be seen as more likely (especially with tougher heavier constucted deer bullets) 2. its harder to define the nature of the ground at 400 yards than at say 100 (hidden boulders etc within the grass are harder to see)

Still there is only one safe shot and that's the one were you are sure were the bullet will end up, though show me the guy who has never had an unexpected ricochet and I will show you a guy of limited experience in the field and a lot of theory-it can happen!. This final point is why we assess both the backstop and the possible area of BACKDROP!

All bullets have a potential to ricochet as soon as they leave the barrel irrespective of type but some are more prone to others, and all are relevant to what angle its fired from and how it strikes the object it ricochets off. and it will be unlikely to follow the true line of aim ,they could rise high ,to the left or to the right or even deflect downwards all pending on the circumstances of the angles., this can occur within a short distance to the firing position or a greater distance, in other words there is no definitive answer to the original posters question.

The worrying factors to considers in relation to backstops when taking any shot with a firearm is that due to a possibility of a ricochets and the danger tangents that a bullet may strike away from an unseen and unknown object a backstop would need to be both considerably high and long in direction both left and right of the shooting position to be considered safe before pulling the trigger. And that something no shooter can guarantee so their is an element of danger everytime you pull the trigger at any distance of a ricochet taking place. at best a stalker can only minimise as much as possible in considering the consequences prior to discharging a projectile.

regards

Stu