Need An Experienced Ferret

Kile

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your not going to get rid of them...   And have fell for the 'theyre good workers pal' spindle....   Keep taking them out... maybe try some piping... get them running through tunnels and such..

I've got a Hob here that wouldn't work at all, I got him early last season and kept trying him the whole season. Even tried him a couple of times through the summer to try and get him going. Tried him

Just an update . I was out ferreting today trying to get the ferrets used to the game trying all morning without much look, it came to 12pm and I decided to head home on the way back through the woods

this season alone iv broke through to bunnys sat neck deep in underwater streams, with my ferrets either paddling next to them locked on or stood on there back more than once, had bunnys weigh twice normal they were that water logged lol, had to take me jumper off last week, dry me fave jill and give her half hour back in box to come round lol she was straight back at them, she deffo swims for bunnys if needs be lol

If your not going to get rid of them...

And have fell for the 'theyre good workers pal' spindle....

Keep taking them out... maybe try some piping... get them running through tunnels and such...

If they have sat in a hutch for x amount of years... they wont have seen a dark space ..

In the meantime look for somebody with a few experienced ferrets to tag along...

If still no joy in a few months...

Get some fresh 8week old kits and learn from your mistakes...

• Like 3

I've got a Hob here that wouldn't work at all, I got him early last season and kept trying him the whole season. Even tried him a couple of times through the summer to try and get him going. Tried him in September, October, November. Nothing. Most he would do is disappear for a few seconds and then come back out.

I kept him because he is a really nice hob. Great looker and good temperament and my daughter loves him. I was gonna get him snipped and keep him as a pet.

Then one day out of nowhere just before Christmas he found a rabbit under ground. I dug to him and it was dead. Since then he has been bolting them left, right and centre and killed a good handful aswell. And he stays until dug to unlike my Jill who regularly comes off or gets dragged away.

He is now my best worker and is out 3 times a week.

But not everyone is in a position to wait 18 months for a ferret to start grafting. I was lucky that I had other workers and he was just an extra.

• Like 3

yeah gaz funny sometimes a bit ov perseverance , the penny will drop same as any animal mate give them a bit ov time they might come good especially if they are of gud bloodlines may it be dogs or etc etc you only get out ov any animal no matter wat it is wat you are prepaired put in it might come gud it might be bad. some folk say how do you get a dog or ferret or etc etc goin , hes the answer keep takein them out ,ferrets keep throwing them down them holes , give them the work , and fair play two you mate for stickin at it many wud have give up after them many months just shows you :thumbs:

Not sure how old and they just roll around the rabbit hole and they keep on coming right back out the set.i have never had this problem with ferrets befor .

Can you contact the person you got them from and ask how old they are. As said above, if they are last years kits give them time they may come good next season, if they are older ferrets I agree that there are workers and shirkers and probably the reason why you were given them. No one is going to give away seasoned good working ferrets, unless it's a close mate.

Do you have permission on land to go ferreting ? Surely there is someone on here in your area who will come to your perm and help you out!

Atb Mick