Which food??

Guest Fishaben

Hi all, my friend has a 2 year old working cocker dog and whilst being a pup he fed him a cobbydog dogfood. But the dog soon decided he didnt like half the things in it and it made him have bad guts. He is now on Chappie tinned dog food to clear up the bad guts. which it is doing, he will soon be wanting to change to a permanent dog food and is stuck between two. These are:

Cobbydog Supreme

or

Sneyds Wonderdog Gold

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Ben

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I see you're in Lancs, Ben? So ye may well still be able to find a Butcher there ~ as opposed to a meat retailer?

Ask for a couple of breasts of lamb. Couple of short bones a day off that should do a spaniel. Then ye can look on in wonder as ye rediscover that crumbly, white Dog shit that we used to see as kids. (Well, the older among us would remember it).

No more anal gland problems. No more hyperactivity. No more skin or digestive disorders. No more bad teeth and gums. If ye feed them raw meat and bones from the start? Precious little likelihood pf premature death from cancer either.

Sound too good to be true? Ye can trust us: We're Not vet's! ;)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ben; If ye can get hold of a couple of 'Breasts of Lamb', it'll likely cost ye about £1.00 - 1.50 and would last a Dog that size over a week. How cheaply do ye Want to feed the poor buggers???

Neck of lamb and Ox Heart are good too. And cheap as chips. Feed heart once or twice a week, meat with bones the rest of the time. Just train ye mind to over ride ye eye when ye doling out the miniscule ammounts ye give them. They'll blow up fat as moles in no time on all that good grub, if ye so much as line their bowls with it.

Incidentaly; I've never even seen that famous book, by that Dr who seems to think he invented the notion of " BARF ", as he calls it. I'm not a member of any Yahoo Groups who expound on it. I'm just a bloke, from a family of Professional Dog People who's been around the block a bit. And I worship my Dogs and will go to the ends of the earth to give them the best I possibly can. I feed them as I've just explained ;)

Up to you what you do.

Wish I could get breast of lamb as cheap as you mention DS.Feeding raw doesn't need to be expensive tho.Costs me just over £1 a day to feed two lurchers and a terrier type and thats buying the food in.Also worth asking your local butcher for bones etc as it costs them to dispose of them now.I also get the bits of chicken body left after local fishmonger has taken the bits he can sell.....two carrier bags full last week,fortunately had space in the freezer.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I don't know where ye are, Barneym but I have found a 0 - 1,000 scale of regional variation, mate. Darn Sarf, these days, " Butchers " have become 'jointed meat retailers'. North of the gap I found there were still Butchers ye'd see shouldering whole pigs carcasses into their shops, like the old days in the south, before Nanny T started wiping their bottoms for them and closed all the abbi's down. That probably effects prices dramatically then, as a govt. employee has to saw out the breasts. Shrink wrap them in plastic. Label and bar code them and send them further south to the meat retailers :rolleyes:

Now here, in deepest rural Co. Leitrim? Un F*cking Believable! I was in my local butchers just the other day and asked for a couple of my usual beef steaks. Then I simply doubled up laughing out loud as he humped in an entire cows back leg and ran it through his band saw! I wanted steak? He'd get me steak!

I said then; " F*ck me, mate! I could've filmed that and shown it on the forum! " Then I explained about the situation back in england. He was astonished. He pointed out how he personally walks the fields. Chooses which of whose herds he fancies. Fetches them into his abbatoir. Slaughters them and then butchers them and that's what he's doing with large portions of cattle and whole sheep in his cold store. Only way he's ever known.

That's why I get breast of lamb so cheap ~ it's virtually a waste product to a Real Butcher. And I've also watched him whip the breast meat and legs off a chicken, then throw the rest in the bin :icon_eek: But my Dogs have so much perfect, human grade meat available, I simply can't be doing with rescuing the chicken carcasses too. Local Hunt takes all the tripe and so forth from the abbatoir - right across the road from my local ;) - so we're all happy as pigs in places devoid of sharp sticks.

Crazy thing is; The local stores Still do a roaring trade in plastic sacks of what people here call " Dog Nuts "! How brain washed can people be??? :no:

i am in the hart of surrey and have the privilege of one of the last few butchers who deals in whole carcases he supply's me with enough to feed the dogs ferrets and cats (Brest of lamb chicken carcases and ox hart and some trotters as a treat for the dogs) in return i supply him with 8 - 10 rabbits a week through the winter costs me nothing now we have this deal but was costing me about £12 - £14 a week to feed four dogs two cats and anything up to twenty ferrets when I'm full. i have done the research if i was to feed dry to all of them it would cost me about £30 a week :icon_eek: (if i could feed the horses meat i would :D ) he even weighs it out in to daily bags that i pick up once a week and store in the freezer so all i have to do is pull it out the freezer and defrost :thumbs:

what I'm saying is there are a few down south but they are few and far between.

Have to agree with the above. I switched to feeding raw about nine years ago and haven't looked back since. Smaller, less smelly stools, less hyper dogs, less fleas: better all round! :thumbs: As mentioned above though, the only problem can be finding a decent butcher, especially where I live near Portsmouth. On the other hand, even if it were more expensive, which I generally find it isn't, it would still be worth it.

HI, DEFO RAW , GOT 3 BORDERS AND A JACK . 2 OF THE BORDERS HAVE FITS SO THE RAW MAKES SURE THEY GET NO ADDITIVES , WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO KEEP THE FITS DOWN , IT DOES. OUR LOCAL BUTCHER REKONS ALL THE BREAST OF LAMB GETS SNAPPED UP AT THE MEAT MARKET TO MAKE DONNER MEAT FOR KEBABS , WATCH OUT THOUGH MATE COS THEY CAN GET FAT ,TOOK US A WHILE TO GET THE PORTIONS RIGHT. JACKO :bye:

Guest Fishaben

thanks for the replies fellas, didnt actually think that feeding raw was soo cheap, will put it to my mate and see what he says, but just incase which of the two foods would you guys suggest if he doesnt want to go raw.

Ben

P.S can I just say that it is my mate that wants to know about feeding his dog, not me, just incase you guys thought it was me,lol. cheers

get your mate to feed raw, i have changed over after reading the posts on here and my dogs a lurcher and a terrier have never looked better. i live in dorset and my local butcher still gets whole carcasses he does bags of pet mince which is all his scraps minced offal and everything for 45p a pound and he gives me bones for free cos he'd have to pay to get rid of them.