Hawks Over Plummers

Monkeyjax

You would be far better off using a gundog breed.Terriers just by their nature aren't suitable,being bred to retaliate when confronted.I know there will be people saying I use one its fine etc etc but there are more suitable breeds out there.A mate of mine used a Russell for a good few seasons and I always used to say that it would end in tears and it did.The Hawk nailed a rabbit in cover that was being hotly pursued by the Russell.The Russell grabbed the rabbit the Hawk footed her in the face,then her terrier instinct kicked in and she took the Hawks rear talon off rendering and very good hawk useless.

Gundogs have a totally different mindset and can be trained to a very high standard to leave game once its been flushed as I'm sure that you are aware.

• Like 1

Yes, I do and have for years on and off, I'll put some pics up later, WM

Thanks for this WM would like to see some pics

You would be far better off using a gundog breed.Terriers just by their nature aren't suitable,being bred to retaliate when confronted.I know there will be people saying I use one its fine etc etc but there are more suitable breeds out there.A mate of mine used a Russell for a good few seasons and I always used to say that it would end in tears and it did.The Hawk nailed a rabbit in cover that was being hotly pursued by the Russell.The Russell grabbed the rabbit the Hawk footed her in the face,then her terrier instinct kicked in and she took the Hawks rear talon off rendering and very good hawk useless.

Gundogs have a totally different mindset and can be trained to a very high standard to leave game once its been flushed as I'm sure that you are aware.

I understand the concern from your first hand experience. The club I hawk with insist any dog in the field must be fitted with a shock collar. Would this have affected the situation described above or would the dogs instincts have still led to the above?

Vizslas are natural hawking dogs

Thanks for your input

Moorman 1, on 04 Feb 2014 - 5:33 PM, said:snapback.png

I understand the concern from your first hand experience. The club I hawk with insist any dog in the field must be fitted with a shock collar. Would this have affected the situation described above or would the dogs instincts have still led to the above?

I believe that the instincts would have over ridden the shock also its not fair to shock the terrier when its only doing what its been bred to do for hundreds of years.They are trying to catch the rabbit for themselves.Also in this situation it all happens so fast and usually in thick cover.

Gundogs are most highly suited to working with hawks and also of a totally different character. Being trained to flush and wait.Also you will have the problems of terriers going to ground on other quarry.Why would you risk your Hawk with a terrier when a more suitable breed is available that won't harm the bird.

Edited by Moorman 1

Monkeyjax,I agree with most of the replies so far about dogs for jobs but a well bred Plummer is capable of bushing to a hawk,I've kept birds of prey since I was 13yrs old and always had a dog of some sort including,pointers,lurchers and Plummers,I got my first Plummers in 1979 and providing you get a young bird to man then introducing a dog of any type needs to be done as early as possible,you will also need to introduce ferrets at this time,I use white ferrets only with hawks as its easier,you will require good obedience from your Plummer but they are intelligent dogs capable of differentiating between out bushing with lurchers,shooting,terrierwork and being out with the hawk,your choice of Plummer blood is as important as your hawk,my plummers will mark holes but do not enter untill told or commanded to "move on".I hunt in Cheshire and have badger sets on most hedges so control is a must, I would never use my Plummers with an adult hawk thats never seen them before as its a disaster waiting to happen,I know a few lads that have used terriers for bushing to hawks and barring the odd incident have had years of fun flying over them,they are better than pointers and vizlas at heavy cover on the rabbits,if you are looking to buy a dog just for hawking then a HPR is the route for you not a plummer especially on open land,good luck, WM

my lad Tom and Harriss

• Like 5

stunning bird, and some good photos there mate.

in regards to the terrier situation, a shock collar seems unnecesary. just use a dog suitable for the job at hand. its like trying to use a springer to course. sure it will get one or two, but whats the point..? use the breed for what it has been bred for.

• Like 1

stunning bird, and some good photos there mate.

in regards to the terrier situation, a shock collar seems unnecesary. just use a dog suitable for the job at hand. its like trying to use a springer to course. sure it will get one or two, but whats the point..? use the breed for what it has been bred for.

This female can take anything in front of her,fur or feather, WM