Redtails

turk

Depends on what quarry your planning on taking with it...harris and reds are similar on quarry all tho a female red will take hare in style .....male reds are good on rabs and squirrel and will take pheasants ...a lot of harris will take squirrel but I think I male red is better suited if squirrel is one of your main quarry's .....if hares are your main quarry with a few rabs here and there then a female red is more suited......however reds can be real bad sulkers and there's been plenty of times they just don't want to play ball and sat in a tree ignoring you ......if fun flying is what your after and you plan on getting a rabbits with the occasional hare and occasional squirrel then a female harris is what i would've choose

However that is my opinion but others vary.....get out with both see which suits you better......

However if you have no mentor and unsure of what your doing then a female red can be dangerous .......so can any bop

• Like 1

I have flown all sorts of birds iv got a female Gos and 2 female Harris hawks together which is fun but never flown a red some people I have spoke to say once you have flown a red ul never fly a Harris again which I find hard to believe but me and my boy will be having a male and female this year and give it ago I do have a lot of hares up my way which my Harris struggle on even together be interesting to see how they compare against a Harris thanks for the reply

You must get them really fit or its not worth bothering, and yes they can be moody, but when they are good they are very good, and the power in those feet omg is awesome, if you have trained a gos then you will be fine, the trick is repetition with them, rather than weight loss, thats a common mistake with reds, it does not perform so the owner drops its weight, still does not, so drop some more, it then goes into fasting mode and wont do bugger all, take it any lower and it WILL be a very dangerous customer, every time I look at the feet on mine I realise how very little escapes from a reds grip.

• Like 1

You must get them really fit or its not worth bothering, and yes they can be moody, but when they are good they are very good, and the power in those feet omg is awesome, if you have trained a gos then you will be fine, the trick is repetition with them, rather than weight loss, thats a common mistake with reds, it does not perform so the owner drops its weight, still does not, so drop some more, it then goes into fasting mode and wont do bugger all, take it any lower and it WILL be a very dangerous customer, every time I look at the feet on mine I realise how very little escapes from a reds grip.

What do you fly mate m/f.......?

I currently fly a female red and she is an absolute cracker, she flys at 2.12oz and takes rabbits over ferrets and has had a couple of hares.

They can be grumpy on kills but it all comes down to good handling on kills and not openly robbing the bird as they will not stand for it.

Atb

Rob

• Like 1

I dont honestly know mate lol, I have only had this one for a while and was kind of a rescue, its either a small female or a big male, will have it tested later on in the year, its turning out to be a bloody good bird though.

......I can remember once been told by a decent falconer( used to be on here)who noes hid stuff...when it came to hawks he'd always choose a small female or a large male....

I really do like them, a friend has a large male he flew for 16years, now retired, it was his first bird & the breeder f*cked him over, told him it was a parent reared, but turned out to be a mal imprint.................needless to say it's a handful, but my friend loves it to bits..........despite his scars :-)

I really do like them, a friend has a large male he flew for 16years, now retired, it was his first bird & the breeder f*cked him over, told him it was a parent reared, but turned out to be a mal imprint.................needless to say it's a handful, but my friend loves it to bits..........despite his scars :-)

A mate of mine has got 8 stitches a couple of mm from his eye......from a Nast male....he took it in as a rescue and it was a menace...it had him in his face and his mate through his lip.....god only noes what happened to the bird before they had it..

My friend told me the first two years the noise was unbearable & the aggression was just dangerous, so he secluded him for a year & he came out a different bird!..............then each season after the moult he would be difficult until he had a few kills,then he would be fine..........I went out with him in his last couple of seasons & he was great......:-)

I dont honestly know mate lol, I have only had this one for a while and was kind of a rescue, its either a small female or a big male, will have it tested later on in the year, its turning out to be a bloody good bird though.

......I can remember once been told by a decent falconer( used to be on here)who noes hid stuff...when it came to hawks he'd always choose a small female or a large male....

That was jaspser on here, wonder what happened to him? Used to be a mod i believe