Digging Books

There's a few books about terrier work but I don't know if they'll give you the answers your looking for. The best way is as always start small try bushing or ferreting maybe try doing ratting . learn about the countryside from getting out there and mooching it's how I learned . And still learning about ?.

• Like 2

Hi Jack,The modern working terrier by Michael Shaw is not bad . But you asking a question that is a bit like , "are there any books on how to ride a bike ". It is something that you learn through practical experience .

Getting the right dog is the first thing . Beware of people peddling digging dogs . Most digging lads dont sell their dogs and gift them to mates , who also dig .

Im afraid it is a bit of a closed shop , the best dogs wont be advertised in pets for homes , put it that way .

Maybe someone on here will take you under their wing and show you the ropes , but dont count on it . People are very wary about taking strangers on permission , for obviouse reasons . Best of luck !

• Like 1

Hi Jack,The modern working terrier by Michael Shaw is not bad . But you asking a question that is a bit like , "are there any books on how to ride a bike ". It is something that you learn through practical experience .

Getting the right dog is the first thing . Beware of people peddling digging dogs . Most digging lads dont sell their dogs and gift them to mates , who also dig .

Im afraid it is a bit of a closed shop , the best dogs wont be advertised in pets for homes , put it that way .

Maybe someone on here will take you under their wing and show you the ropes , but dont count on it . People are very wary about taking strangers on permission , for obviouse reasons . Best of luck !

A Plummer psuedonym :icon_eek: (spelling)

Cheers. D.

• Like 1

I was thinking maybe theres a gap in the market for something like it was my only thoughts.

Theres a hell of a lot of books on working and training dogs off all types.

Theres alot of books about how to work a lurcher your basic do's and donts same with the spaniel lab ect just thought id put it out there to help alot of genuin young lads like myself who want to get into the game.

I fully take on board that its somthing that needs a first hand experince to bé learnt, but also the same with the spaniel, lurchers even shooting and fishing theres alot of books out there to give a good idea of what its all about and what it takes.

Atb jack

Cheers. D.

from when he pissed terrier lads off and hid under another name :laugh:

The advice I'd give to any beginner is to prove to a knowledgeable and active terrierman that your trustworthy. Tag along with him and keep your mouth shut and your ears open.

In failing that if I was to suggest a book then Eddie Chapmans first book "The Working Jack Russell Terrier" is a book full of hands on experience.

• Like 2

I was thinking maybe theres a gap in the market for something like it was my only thoughts.

Theres a hell of a lot of books on working and training dogs off all types.

Theres alot of books about how to work a lurcher your basic do's and donts same with the spaniel lab ect just thought id put it out there to help alot of genuin young lads like myself who want to get into the game.

I fully take on board that its somthing that needs a first hand experince to bé learnt, but also the same with the spaniel, lurchers even shooting and fishing theres alot of books out there to give a good idea of what its all about and what it takes.

Atb jack

I know there are a lot of books out there on variouse branches of dog work , but lets be honest , most people who buy working terrier books have a fair idea about whats involved , its a bit like ferreting ,only with a dog . Chuck a dog down a hole and wait , if it bolts either shoot it or catch in a net , if it dosent bolt you use a locator and dig , apart from stressing the case that you must be careful when breaking through , i dont know what else can be added .

Ok that is a very simplistic view , and there is more to it than that , but it is best learnt in the field , and from someone who knows what they are doing !

Cheers. D.

seriously ? I didnt know that .

Cheers. D.

true--he used to write for the shooting times/news using it and even slagged dbp himself off ... :laugh:

Edited by the_stig
  • Like 1

This was the only one I remember having any practical tips in it when I was younger....but I read this a long time ago and haven't picked it up since. I think I've got two copies as well for some reason. I will check tonight and if I have, then if anybody wants one, it's theirs. Can't vouch for if it's any good or not though.

post-32-0-35769500-1390424426.jpg

The advice I'd give to any beginner is to prove to a knowledgeable and active terrierman that your trustworthy. Tag along with him and keep your mouth shut and your ears open.

In failing that if I was to suggest a book then Eddie Chapmans first book "The Working Jack Russell Terrier" is a book full of hands on experience.

both chapmans books are decent reads :thumbs:

Cheers. D.

true--he used to write for the shooting times/news using it and even slagged dbp himself off ... :laugh:

Just had a flick through said book and noticed he refers to Plummer "no greater ratter ever drew breath".Self praise is no recomendation , aint that the truth !

Cheers. D.

Just had a flick through said book and noticed he refers to Plummer "no greater ratter ever drew breath".Self praise is no recomendation , aint that the truth !

i think he wrote in the shooting news of a day out with plummer and that some of his ways were dated..