Hi, i'm a Belgian hunter and i was wondering if it's possible to get blackneck pheasant chicks from england. Cause there aren't any about here, checked in france but they didn't know what I was talking about. I did some research and i found that blacknecks really stay in woods (my shoot is about 200ha of woodland). Or do you guys think any other strains are better?

Thanks

• Like 1

I would disagree with that different breeds have very different habits. I am quite shocked how different Kansas pheasants, bazanty and the Scandinavian first crosses all behave so differently on my shoots.Four years ago I would have never thought this. They all have different holding habits and flying habits. I have actually been caught out and found the Kansas and bazanties hold so well you have to work hard to get them out of the area of the release pens to make sure they don't suffer from disease. I believe that Kansas hold the best on my farms but I don't have much woodland compared to some. They fly very like a wild pheasants and are a bit unpredictable. I swapped back to the bazanties this season they hold not as well as the Kansas but pretty well certainly a lot better than anything we used to put down but fly very well standing on there tails given half the chance but fly in a lot more predictable manner making them easier to drive on my shoots. This is not just my opinion but a general consensus between my friends who run shoots as well. They also behave very differently when trying to blank them into drives etc you have to give them a lot of time as they don't like running and prefer to hide and then fly so to successfully move them you have to take things very slowly then they will go..

• Like 2

All breeds of pheasant behave differently but it is up to you as the keeper to decide what attributes fit your shoot from how they are to be shot (rough or driven),what the cover is like,topography,disturbance,availability of natural food and keepers attendance (full time,part time or weekend warrior).After that it is down to the keeper to recognise how the chosen breed reacts to its environment and then adapts his "style" of keepering which frankly given that most keepers blame their failings on their chosen breed for the season rarely happens.

• Like 5

Agree. I've tried French commons, Kansas, bazanty, black necks, manchurians, melanistics, first crosses, to name a few. All have different properties and all vary from shoot to shoot in some degree. Black necks are fine but unless flown often can struggle to reach a decent height and on a woodland shoot with small rides etc you'll be best off with a smaller breed that can make it over the canopy. French commons suit pretty much every shoot.

Cheers Gk

• Like 3

I would disagree with that different breeds have very different habits. I am quite shocked how different Kansas pheasants, bazanty and the Scandinavian first crosses all behave so differently on my shoots.Four years ago I would have never thought this. They all have different holding habits and flying habits. I have actually been caught out and found the Kansas and bazanties hold so well you have to work hard to get them out of the area of the release pens to make sure they don't suffer from disease. I believe that Kansas hold the best on my farms but I don't have much woodland compared to some. They fly very like a wild pheasants and are a bit unpredictable. I swapped back to the bazanties this season they hold not as well as the Kansas but pretty well certainly a lot better than anything we used to put down but fly very well standing on there tails given half the chance but fly in a lot more predictable manner making them easier to drive on my shoots. This is not just my opinion but a general consensus between my friends who run shoots as well. They also behave very differently when trying to blank them into drives etc you have to give them a lot of time as they don't like running and prefer to hide and then fly so to successfully move them you have to take things very slowly then they will go..

Got to say , ive found that Kansas crosses hold like glue , and are a a light framed bird that flys very well and eats a bit less food . Downside is when you are trying to blank them into an area to a flushing point , they are likely to just get up and fly back over your head . So i just put them into rides where the beaters flush them with dogs . Common ring necks or black necks can be driven miles .

• Like 1

Buy of the french with caution !!! A lot of the lads i know by me who dealt with stuff coming from France , had nothing but trouble , in the form of microplasmosis . There was a lot of rota virus going around French hatcheries . And they sent all their sh-t over here !!!

Buy of the french with caution !!! A lot of the lads i know by me who dealt with stuff coming from France , had nothing but trouble , in the form of microplasmosis . There was a lot of rota virus going around French hatcheries . And they sent all their sh-t over here !!!

With respect I have dealt with gibovende for many years purchasing hundreds of thousands of eggs and day olds.

With respect I have dealt with gibovende for many years purchasing hundreds of thousands of eggs and day olds.

I didnt say dont buy from the French , they have the best closed flocks . I said buy with caution ! And if you recommend them and have had no problems then thats good enough !!!

I didnt say dont buy from the French , they have the best closed flocks . I said buy with caution ! And if you recommend them and have had no problems then thats good enough !!!

Sorry didn't mean to sound arsey :thumbs: but it was all those exclamation marks threw me :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 2

Sorry didn't mean to sound arsey :thumbs: but it was all those exclamation marks threw me :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No problem mate , no offence taken . The French are years ahead of us with their set ups over there , which have to be seen to be believed . But you must of heard of some of the problems this season ?

No problem mate , no offence taken . The French are years ahead of us with their set ups over there , which have to be seen to be believed . But you must of heard of some of the problems this season ?

It is interesting comparing french suppliers to uk and without doubt they are much better set up than us (though that in no way guarantees a lack of issues), I'm sure you have seen some of the shite holes that profess to be quality gamefarms in the uk, whether there is any truth in the oft rumoured problems in France (and uk suppliers have their fair share) or just how many of those problems actually start in uk hatcheries or rearing fields with french sourced stock I wouldn't speculate so as with most rumour,speculation or hear say I just ignore it and work on real time experience :thumbs:

• Like 2

We got our birds from gibonvende (sp) for the shoot in Belgium, nice healthy feisty things. Think there was only one deed out the whole lot ... the problems started when they were on the ground and the goshawks came out to play :cray:

• Like 3