Trip To The Railway

Nice haul that, just a quick question, do you or did you have to get permission from railway agency etc? Just that some of my permission is bordered by railway banks that hold a lot of rabbits, but was unsure what the crack was with ferreting them? I asked on here a while back and people said that I shouldn't ferret them as I could be done for trespassing on railways? Any info/advice would be great, cheers

Ha ha don't go near any used railway lines or embankment its trespass and carrys a hefty fine and just wearing a hi - viz is no good as railway workers wear all orange trousers the lot plus hard hats a train driver will spot you and report you stay clear mate ATB BB

I must disagree . As he is not working for the railway and it's advised for his own safety orange vest is highly recommend for his safety alone not to trick the driver or rail workers.

If the track runs through your permission and you keep well away from the track it's self then there is no problem as the railways understand the rules about the the control of rabbits going onto neighbours land and up to them to control them .

There for they see it as a free service provided by you saving them Fortune from getting pest control in to gas them

All they ask is that you and your dogs keep off the track at all times and HAVE permission from the neighbours

Let me assure you lads, if you are inside the railway perimiter fence without permission from Network Rail, it IS TRESSPASS, irrespective of what the maintainence boys may tell you, it's the B.T police who will take a dim view, as they are hot on the heels of cable theft.

Best you get permission, and assure the local N/R manager that you will not stray within a specified distance (prefferably in writing) to avoid a hefty fine

Edited by marticus
  • Like 1

I worked on the railways for 10 years, I can assure no network rail manger would put his name on paper to allow some one with out PTS training then you can't go on unless you have some who has a COSS ticket an then there's all the paper work. The health and safety is beyond, to dig the ferret out you'd need permits to dig, cat scans and insulated shovels.

• Like 2