a lot depends on how much you run them as well

well am guna run her on this see how her performance is on it goldfinch mate. When I first put her on gain 28 she worked hard but since she's been on it a few months her performance has dropped. Don't get me wrong she's still putting in the kills , but she seems to dropped a bit on performance gone abit steady. Edited by bornhunterharvey

a lot depends on how much you run them as well

well am guna run her on this see how her performance is on it goldfinch mate. When I first put her on gain 28 she worked hard but since she's been on it a few months her performance has dropped. Don't get me wrong she's still putting in the kills , but she seems to dropped a bit on performance gone abit steady.
perhaps try mixing gain 20 half and half with gain 28, I think 20 a bit low for working dog and 28 a bit high, or if using just gain 20 mix plenty of fresh meat into it, I run mine on 24% protein complete meal mixed with fatty minced beef or sardines or raw egg
  • Like 1

I think all depends on how much you work your dogs. If you were to work your dogs hard 2-3 times a week consistently throughout the winter months plus being exercised then 28% but if like me it's once or twice a week 20% IMO is good enough. I also add meat or fish to it a couple of times a week.

Had a word with the Gain rep on this subject, feeding a dog in work, he recommended if adding meat use the 20%

if not use 28%

How long have you been working dogs Joe out of interest? What have you always fed?

45 years started in lurchers then had 4 years with racing Greyhounds, in the old days i had an outside boiler, bought meat from the local Knackery which was boiled up with Hare, Rabbit, Sheep Heids, and the butcher would give me the haggis that had burst, this was fed with the warm gravy, brown bread and SA45 which was a supplement,, fed this way for years and Dogs did good on it, only started feeding raw 4 years ago.

Had a word with the Gain rep on this subject, feeding a dog in work, he recommended if adding meat use the 20%

if not use 28%

How long have you been working dogs Joe out of interest? What have you always fed?

45 years started in lurchers then had 4 years with racing Greyhounds, in the old days i had an outside boiler, bought meat from the local Knackery which was boiled up with Hare, Rabbit, Sheep Heids, and the butcher would give me the haggis that had burst, this was fed with the warm gravy, brown bread and SA45 which was a supplement,, fed this way for years and Dogs did good on it, only started feeding raw 4 years ago.

Why the change to dry then? Sounds like you had it nailed first time round?