My Up N' Coming Hunter

I have very few regrets during my hunting life. The one that I do have that sticks out in my mind is that I never heard about the GWP's earier in my life. What a wonderfull breed of dog it is, I honestly think in the right hands there is very little that this dog can not do. If I was limited to one dog to cover many disiplines it would be the GWP every time.

TC

I agree completely, and I doubt very much that I will ever be without one again. Well said, and merry Christmas.

DnN

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello folks   This is my wirehair bitch. So far she has made quite an impression on me. And by far the best all rounder I've owned.       Good hunting all   DnN    

Heres one Jonny  

Super looking animal I've never seen one hunt in the flesh but it certainly looks the part :thumbs: ............and you could of got a bit of dirt on the collar first, the pic looks a garmin photo shoot :tongue2:

haha mint

Merry christmas

DnN

Merry Christmas :thumbs:

Been looking into gwp x greyhound for a while now will defo be adding it in to my lurchers

Im heading the same way I reckon, I've seen a few, that were very good on the moors, for all game and vermin. I wont be putting a greyhound over mine, but Ive got a few plans regarding the next generation of workers, (nothing concrete), Ive got to see how she goes on these boar and if all good she will be a finished dog this time next month.

DnN

One word of advice, when training a GWP as I am sure D&N will agree, You have to totally re-think your training strategy. It is no good trying to train them like a spaniel or a lab the dogs are meant to run big and that is what they want to do. Just because a dog is working 200 - 500 yards away from you does not mean that it cannot be under control. You have to learn to trust the dog, if you cannot do that, don't bother getting one cos it will just be a car crash looking for somewhere to happen.

TC

• Like 1

I work my lurchers at that range as I hunt the hill I have full trust when seeing there back ends going over the hill to do what they spose to do ie leave stock and return when lines lost ! I would probably not have a straight gwp just bid my time and wait for the right gwpxgrey

Yeee its seem like they add a bit to the working lurcher mate want to try it been in my head for a while now hopefully it all works out for you keep me updated how it goes mate !

One word of advice, when training a GWP as I am sure D&N will agree, You have to totally re-think your training strategy. It is no good trying to train them like a spaniel or a lab the dogs are meant to run big and that is what they want to do. Just because a dog is working 200 - 500 yards away from you does not mean that it cannot be under control. You have to learn to trust the dog, if you cannot do that, don't bother getting one cos it will just be a car crash looking for somewhere to happen.

TC

Spot on :thumbs:

Stunning animals in the flesh,seen a few strong looking shorthaireds as well,I think they are becoming bit too popular with the I'm going to walk it with my expensive looking Wellies and coat brigade round here.

It would be an absolute sin to get one of these as a 'posh pet'... very sad. They are hunters through and through.

• Like 1

nice looking dog, looks a lot like the one i imported from Germany, i see you have gps on her, on what are you going to work with her? we work the gwp with terriërs on big game and small fur and feather. they mature pretty soon, mine (7 months) grabbed a boar already 2 weeks ago.

Mine is 18 months now...She is mainly bred from imported stock from Denmark, the line were used mainly for tracking shot deer/boar. Mine was also working well from young.

I work her as a gundog, shooting all feathered game over her, she works well, points well, great retrieve...

I also hunt fox, deer and boar. But she has not seen a boar yet, she will be starting on boar mid January, a weeks hunting in Hungary, should make or break her. She loves foxing. She loves squirrel hunting.

She has hunted 2 black bears in Canada, where she spent 5 months of this year. One a sow with 2 cubs, which she dealt with sensibly,( though we were not after them, they were on a work site and needed to be cleared for human safety) She went a fair old distance on that trio. Her hunting came on a treat in Canada, heaps of squirrels, her marking is great.

She is not steady to any fur, but very steady when stalking deer, and steady to feather... i took her along stalking from a pup, and she is very accustomed to sitting and watching deer. She will go on command, and is strong enough to hold a red for dispatch.

Fingers crossed she likes the boar work. Ive been running her in her new vest and she now gets excited when I put it on. If she makes the grade on boar, then shes a keeper.

DnN

• Like 1