Puppy Food

Not been since I was a kid mate. Got be 10 years since I was there. Can't be arsed with the aggro now. Still try to follow them best I can.

its so bloody exspensive aswell now. do you find it tough to get and rabbit ground living there?

Yes mate there are more bell ends with dogs in stoke than rabbits. I have got a couple of permissions but I travel out of the area most of the time. I try to do at least 2-3 nights a week out of the area, 1-2 hour drive away.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This must be one of the most asked questions on here apart from "what's the best all rounder". Lol.   And if 10 lads reply you will get 10 different answers.   I started my pup off on gain puppy

Most problems come from an imbalance in calcium, vitamin D etc rather than the amount of protein. I raised my last on a base of 24% protein complete and he turned out well.

Gaz is bird your dad?

Posted Images

This must be one of the most asked questions on here apart from "what's the best all rounder". Lol.

And if 10 lads reply you will get 10 different answers.

I started my pup off on gain puppy and sapling which is 28%. Aswell as feeding tripe, chicken mince, wings, necks, carcasses, veg, fruit, brown bread and pasta.

By about 10 weeks old her front legs started bowing which I personally think was due to her growing faster than her legs could handle - too much protein maybe?

I put her on a low protein dry food (10%) for 2 weeks and they straightened right up.

Since then I haven't bothered with dry food except to leave her a few biscuits when I go to work and she's on the same diet as my older bitch (tripe, chicken mince, beef mince, wings, necks, carcasses, veg, fruit, brown bread, oats and pasta).

However I know lads that have reared pups on dry puppy completes with no problems whatsoever. I'm sure the puppy foods have more calcium, vitamin D etc than the adult completes but I could be wrong.

As you say everyone has different feeding regime they are happy with. im always surprised the amount of owners who feed a 28% complete along with red meat.

I spoke to the Gain Rep about this, and he said if feeding raw meat and you want to use his products, then he recommended using Gain 20% as a mixer, this is what I use with raw Beef, Rabbit and Fish, and never had any problems, and Dog looks good on this regime.

This must be one of the most asked questions on here apart from "what's the best all rounder". Lol.

And if 10 lads reply you will get 10 different answers.

I started my pup off on gain puppy and sapling which is 28%. Aswell as feeding tripe, chicken mince, wings, necks, carcasses, veg, fruit, brown bread and pasta.

By about 10 weeks old her front legs started bowing which I personally think was due to her growing faster than her legs could handle - too much protein maybe?

I put her on a low protein dry food (10%) for 2 weeks and they straightened right up.

Since then I haven't bothered with dry food except to leave her a few biscuits when I go to work and she's on the same diet as my older bitch (tripe, chicken mince, beef mince, wings, necks, carcasses, veg, fruit, brown bread, oats and pasta).

However I know lads that have reared pups on dry puppy completes with no problems whatsoever. I'm sure the puppy foods have more calcium, vitamin D etc than the adult completes but I could be wrong.

As you say everyone has different feeding regime they are happy with. im always surprised the amount of owners who feed a 28% complete along with red meat.

I spoke to the Gain Rep about this, and he said if feeding raw meat and you want to use his products, then he recommended using Gain 20% as a mixer, this is what I use with raw Beef, Rabbit and Fish, and never had any problems, and Dog looks good on this regime.

Yeh I agree with that. Red meat is about 35% protein so feeding that half and half with 20% complete would average to somewhere around 27.5% overall protein.

However I am currently feeding 1/2 Raw meat, 1/4 pasta or brown bread and 1/4 fruit and veg.

If the meat I use is 30% protein then this makes the overall meal 15% protein. My bitch is grafted hard and Carries good muscle definition. So I don't think these high protein feeds are THAT essential.

It's funny, but when I was young many years before the internet I fed my pups and grown dogs on things like vitalin, omega, pedigree chum and chappie. All grew well and were healthy. I now feed 50% raw and biscuits.

thanks mate, i often think what would of happened years ago when there was no such thing as dedicated puppy food all dogs would of been fed the same young or old, just another way for dog food companys to make more money i suppose

dog 2.jpg

im getting this 11 week old on saturday dams a bull collie grey and sires a collie grey whippet.

didnt really want a bull but comes from working parents and a freind owns the parents so thought why not, another mate has also got his brother so be quite fun on how different they are and how good they become as they will be doing alot together when there older.

pups looking great mate i must say abit of a looker really nice colours

Nice pup that mate. Nothing wrong with a bit of bull at all.

Sure I've asked you before but where in stoke are you from? PM if you prefer.

gaz after someone else's permission AGAIN???????lol ?? what a ? lol
  • Like 1