Building A Little Team

Sean Horgan

I have a six month old working cocker who flushed his first pheasent today! In the new year moving to a bigger property and will be able to keep a few more dogs. Like I said I already have a cocker but if you could get two more dogs what would you go for ? Two lurchers ? Another spaniel and lurcher ? Terrier, Hound etc etc...I'm looking to just go after the rabbits and that for now daytime stuff really. Any ideas will be appreciated.

I would go for 2 Lurchers as you have the busher already,one could be a whippet x terrier,which hopefully would double up as a second busher if need be.

My reasoning is if you only have one Lurcher,sods law the rabbit would come out the opposite side of it.

With 2 catchers and one busher,yourself could throw a stone in the bush or flatten the cover to spook the quarry.;)

• Like 1

I have a six month old working cocker who flushed his first pheasent today! In the new year moving to a bigger property and will be able to keep a few more dogs. Like I said I already have a cocker but if you could get two more dogs what would you go for ? Two lurchers ? Another spaniel and lurcher ? Terrier, Hound etc etc...I'm looking to just go after the rabbits and that for now daytime stuff really. Any ideas will be appreciated.

a terrier and lurcher would probably be better for you,nothing beats a good terrier for pushing through thick bramble after game

The white bitch 5th pic down, is that a russell or russell/plummer? Very nice :thumbs:

That Mr Shaarrrrk is a plummer off an early mating of "new blood",she was bred out of "LACY'S" kennel but due to carrying no colour (CAPE or SHATTERED) and carrying 28% bull blood she could not be registered with any club or society,she was micro-chipped and I have all her details,date of birth etc,but as she looks like a russell that suits me fine,it gives me 2 directions to breed from but up to now I've only bred her to plummers,she is a fantastic worker and cannot be bossed about when working,she always gives her best and is a tireless worker if out all day,nothing is ever too much for her,I love her temperament and if ever a bitch could have "pre-potency" then this is her,she has put her work ethic and stamp on all the pups out of her 2 litters that I've bred from her so far,a joy to own but the scurge of all plummer owners "A WHITE BODIED TERRIER" LOL's,WM

Lovely looking terrier, sounds a cracking worker and a bonus to your team too. :thumbs: