Went out on saturday morn for a shot and a young lad that has just acquired his licence came with me.He was also out on the 1st but even though my mate and i tried our best to put him in a position where he would actually get to shoot his 1st cock it was'nt to be,he was either the wrong side of the hedge or he missed.Well saturday started of much the same,1st cock fell to myself,my side of the hedge and next cock that was flushed was his side but he missed,too eager and did not let the cock out enough.We then moved to another place where we bumped into another mate who was also out shooting so we joined him for an hour.We seen 2 cocks fly from a really dence wood out into a dirty corner along the side of a field of kale that was recently cut so away we went in pursuit.The chap we met had 2 springers out so i had left mine in the van.When we reached the area where the cocks had landed he sent the 2 dogs in an straight away up with the 2 cocks,i could not fire as i was behind the 2 lads but they both let go and again no cigar,i just laughed and said they will be there for again.We decided to follow round that hedge and as the young chap was on my side i told him if anything breaks dont fire until i say so.We came to a clearing almost at the end of the hedge where a hazel wood then starts and out got a woodcock.The young lad was up with the gun in a second but i said wait,the other chap let of 2 shots with no hit then i said now at about 40yds and the young lad droped his 1st woodcock stone dead,you would think he had just won the lotto with excitment and also gave the other chap some slagging in the process.We were walking back towards the van when a pigeon came across well up and i said have a go and he up with the gun and down with the pigeon.He was on a high and on sunday morn he phoned me to say he had just shot his 1st cock using his mothers pet springer to flush it,i reckon he is hooked big time now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent to see people passing on a bit of knowledge and taking the time with new people, more chance of them doing the same in years to come. Good right up as well.

He is actually a good lad that listens when you tell him something.His family moved down into the country about 8 year ago and you would think he lived here all his life,loves the shooting and fishing and general country ways of life.I have been invited down south at the wknd for a days shooting +a couple of hours deer stalking so i shall bring him along for the day.