Question Time

Esteemed gentlemen (and ladies if there are any reading this secretly) of the forum.

As some of you know I used to moddy this forum. Back in the day when I had airguns, shot them regularly, and had the time to post about it.

However life has a funny way of making you busy, and unable to do the fun stuff from time to time.

A hiatus, has taken me away from all things PCP and spring related but I managed to drift back in and enjoy the posts that have decorated this forum since I left.

My question is this.

Is there an springer, that doesn't require some kind of immediate tuning?

I ask because the posts I read, regarding new rifles, everyone appears to be looking for something else and is asking advice on which tuning kits/companies to approach to make their kit better.

Not a complaint. Merely an observation.

So is it possible to get something straight out of the box, that's still the balls?

Are the major manufacturers allowing their, once famed, standards to slip?

Or are we so fickle that we have to tinker with it, immediately, to make it something else?

I fully understand the ramifications of personalisation. Of tailoring to our own requirements. I guess there is no conclusive answer as to why. But is it still possible to get a seriously decent piece of kit straight from the box?

Yours In Turmoil

Chris

• Like 1

all us perfectionists just want THE BEST out of our kit.

get a hw97k and shoot it . it will still be a great rifle unturned

but the tune just smooths it out really making it easier to shoot.

I have just been out with my un-tuned hw97k and its brilliant. I have relubed it, but it didn't NEED doing and it still shot fine before I stripped it.

hi Chris

yes to answer your question.

AA all the way,whether it be a pro sport or a TX, you will still probably have to polish the internals,and use a moly grease,as a de-grease & re-grease as they are mass manufactured.

to get inside them is pretty easy for a hands on mind? just check out YT :thumbs:

Tony Wall says the top end springers from AA ie: Pro sport & TX are as good as it gets,out of the box :thumbs:

then on the other hand,you have your HW springers,which also can be as above.but of recent times as reported on this forum & others,they feel HW has a QC problem,I have experienced this my self with my HW97 .22,got to me at 8fpe,so i had to send it back via my RFD where i bought it from,and it came back 11.2fpe,and to be honest it was bloody accurate out to 45yds,but still had a boing to it.

i then wanted more from the 97,and that's where i found SFS could help,jeez it is super accurate now! out to 65yds :thumbs: and as my sig will describe :laugh:

there are other tuners out there,but i prefer to stick to SFS because i am happy with there results!

so my advise would be :hmm:

if you are going the springer route,it would be AA & HW for general plinking and 45yds quarry,and a de-grease and re-lube,you will be fine :thumbs:

if you was to shoot out to 65yds and shoot HFT competitively, then you will need to seek out a respectable tuner :thumbs:

i would say 95% of hft'ers shoot a tuned air rifle 100% :thumbs:

if i have gone on to long,blame the couple of stowford press ciders i had this afternoon :laugh:

try before you by Chris :thumbs:

• Like 1

Personally I've shot/owned the 97's and the TX's. Had a Prosport too.

Never had an issue with accuracy, or quality, ever.

My only grumble, and it's a minor niggle, was that the loading port on the TX is too small for my fat hands.

I started the thread purely because I was curious about the need to tinker. It seems no one is happy with the standard variation and is looking to have it tuned almost immediately. I understand the infinite needs to personalize, but it just seemed that everyone is doing it! When I was out with them, regularly we didn't have time to have a gun out of commission we just needed things dead.

Edited by ChrisJones

hi

i can honestly say from shooting un-tuned to tuned,its the way forward :thumbs:

would say the don't make them like they use to,much more mass produced,QC is lacking at most major air gun manufactures.

and you here of air gunners paying good money for there air guns,only to send them back due to a fault,you here more of it now then you did years ago.

if tuning isn't for you ,then i suggest when you purchase your next spring rifle,is you take it apart and degrease it,polish internals check for any sharp edges/burrs,re-grease and put back together.

this i have found make a noticeable difference :thumbs:

Oh yeah! I know the drill, it's not my first go. Just wondered why the trend seemed to head towards buy the gun then send it away!

as i have mentioned chris "QC" and if you want the best of both worlds,for hunting and target.then most have there air guns tuned!