Seriously Looking Into Falconary

Bells face

Hi I'm new to all this and am looking into getting myself a harris hawk. I'm on here to do some ground work really. I need to learn alot before I can even consider a hawk. My father in law has a harris and hunts with it, and although I help him out and would have him to mentor me a little I'm pretty he doesn't know everything there is to know. So I would like to know as much as I possible can before I can judge whether I'm right for a b.o.p. anyway any advice on anything will be [BANNED TEXT] fully received :-) look forward to chafing to u all. So over the next year or so I'm going to listen and try to learn about everything from aviary to training and hunting, I'm think

• Like 1

Hello mate, I'm from your neck of the woods & have hunted with hawks on land very close to you.....the main thing apart from training blah blah blah is land & quarry......think about both very carefully, & think if you have the makings of a successful hawk, you can do all the training you want, but the more your hawk kills, the more everything else will come together.....no matter what anyone says.......here's a tip.....there is a very nice bit of forestry commission just out side of Colchester on the way to Tiptree, got a lot of kills there....no bother....fill your boots mate....ATB

Hi I'm new to all this and am looking into getting myself a harris hawk. I'm on here to do some ground work really. I need to learn alot before I can even consider a hawk. My father in law has a harris and hunts with it, and although I help him out and would have him to mentor me a little I'm pretty he doesn't know everything there is to know. So I would like to know as much as I possible can before I can judge whether I'm right for a b.o.p. anyway any advice on anything will be [bANNED TEXT] fully received :-) look forward to chafing to u all. So over the next year or so I'm going to listen and try to learn about everything from aviary to training and hunting, I'm think

Good for you its great to see folk willing to do research before jumping in feet first.....i was the same as you i was on the verge of getting a bird a few years ago but having done the research you are about to do realised i was biting off more than i could chew and i probably wouldnt of done the bird justice....... i still find it a fascinating subject and one i hope to come back to at some stage of life........all the best to you theres some great knowledge and decent people on here...for a window shopper like me this is one of the most interesting sections of this forum so whether you get a bird or not im sure you will enjoy your stay :thumbs:

Hi I'm new to all this and am looking into getting myself a harris hawk. I'm on here to do some ground work really. I need to learn alot before I can even consider a hawk. My father in law has a harris and hunts with it, and although I help him out and would have him to mentor me a little I'm pretty he doesn't know everything there is to know. So I would like to know as much as I possible can before I can judge whether I'm right for a b.o.p. anyway any advice on anything will be [bANNED TEXT] fully received :-) look forward to chafing to u all. So over the next year or so I'm going to listen and try to learn about everything from aviary to training and hunting, I'm think

Good for you its great to see folk willing to do research before jumping in feet first.....i was the same as you i was on the verge of getting a bird a few years ago but having done the research you are about to do realised i was biting off more than i could chew and i probably wouldnt of done the bird justice....... i still find it a fascinating subject and one i hope to come back to at some stage of life........all the best to you theres some great knowledge and decent people on here...for a window shopper like me this is one of the most interesting sections of this forum so whether you get a bird or not im sure you will enjoy your stay :thumbs:

Seriously Gnasher go for it, if you can get the land, the rest is quite straight forward really....

Hello accip74 cheers for the tip on the land. I've got a bit of land out suffolk way that my mate owns so I'm lucky on that score but it is a trek. So need some land closer to home. Father in law flies some the wood and fields Round here and don't seem get no bother So I'm sure I'm good on that score! Do you still fly your hawks? And how often do u fly/ hunt them? I'm concerned that I won't have enough daylight hours during the week! So I'm thinking of getting a proven bird that has maybe worked on the lamp, or would this be something that the bird will take too easily? Thanks for the replie mate its nice to know someone close by has the same interest. My mates look at me as if I'm mad when I talk about falconary :-) atb

Gnasher I'm sorry to hear u decided it wasn't the right time for u to have a hawk. But I'm sure you done all your homework and made the right decision based on this :-) hopefully in the future mate hey ? As I say I'm defo gonna look fully into it before I make any sort of decision, cause like you I want if I'm going to get one Id like to Do the bird the justice it deserves. Anyway ill keep you posted on my situation all the best pal :-)

• Like 1

Hello accip74 cheers for the tip on the land. I've got a bit of land out suffolk way that my mate owns so I'm lucky on that score but it is a trek. So need some land closer to home. Father in law flies some the wood and fields Round here and don't seem get no bother So I'm sure I'm good on that score! Do you still fly your hawks? And how often do u fly/ hunt them? I'm concerned that I won't have enough daylight hours during the week! So I'm thinking of getting a proven bird that has maybe worked on the lamp, or would this be something that the bird will take too easily? Thanks for the replie mate its nice to know someone close by has the same interest. My mates look at me as if I'm mad when I talk about falconary :-) atb

Well I'm not close now mate, I live in belgium....thats why I'm giving up good hawking spots near Colchester lol, yes I still fly hawks but not this season unfortunately due to some bad luck.....don't bother getting a 'proven' bird, do it your self, it's easy to get them going on the lamp....one session, & they catch on....the woods I mean are on the road from Colchester zoo....just before you get to Tiptree... Great spot for 'first light hawking'.. ..good luck with whatever you do!

Seriously Gnasher go for it, if you can get the land, the rest is quite straight forward really....

The land isnt a problem,if it was a night time hobby id be all over it as i have time to kill at night.........but as life is at the moment i think the bird would end up being " a pet "......and i just couldnt do that im the sort who would have to commit to it 100% or not at all.......i,ll get there one day.

Fair enough mate, it's a struggle at times to get the bird what it needs, that's for sure, & lamping is ok, but it's not really what 'hawking' is about.... Like you say, when the time is right....it's certainly never too late ATB

• Like 1

Yeh you go out and get a kill, bird gets some exercise.....you can't knock it, it's not something that really thrilled me & the weather conditions that are preferable for hawking don't always make good lamping conditions....I do prefer a dog running down the beam.....but it defo adds a 'string to your bow'

Yeh I must confess lamping the bird would be not be my first choice, buts its something I would have to do so I could work the bird during the week! Otherwise I simply could not even consider looking into it. And if it means that I'm keeping the bird hunting and flying that is what I will be doing. A small sacrifice I think to follow a passion:-). Weekends are no problem ferrets on my shoulder and hawk on glove :-)

• Like 1

That woods you are on about is that right on the edge of tiptree? Think I know where u mean its got couple of laybys just of the road near there. Anyway ill have a run up there wkend and have a look! U never needed permission there then? Few dog walkers get out there as well judging by cars in lay by. How long since you moved from colchester [BANNED TEXT]

I've just been on google earth lol....it's near Messing turn off, I used to drive down a lane called Haynes green rd & park in a little layby right next to the woods was going there for 5 seasons fairly regular no bother, but of course you should contact the Forestry commission before going lol, but you won't find their guy's there on a weekend ;-)

I moved from the general area about 18months ago I lived in the Dedham Vale area....constable country.....f*ck I miss it...

I had loads of permo round there....lots of little places....best way to do it, so you can alternate where you go, I never hunted the same place more than twice in a month....keep it fresh

Edited by Accip74