More Advice Please

I was out ferreting today with me jack, I say ferreting was really just a walk as there was nothing home, just as I was walking back home the dog started marking up when I got to him it was a fox earth, ive seen it befor but the dog normaly dossent bother with it, this time was different he started digging at the mouth of the opening and baying he dug enough to start squeezing in but I pulled him out and stuck him on his lead, is this the onset of my dog going to ground????? Or is it inquisitiveness??? Will my dog eventually go to ground totally of his own accord???? And if he did would a short legged jack be able to hold his own till I got to him (obviously something I want to avoid but I dont know where every earth on every field is) help please

Hi Mitchell

As Bobby suggests... first of all you'll need to familiarise yourself with the law, especially if you're not to fall foul of it.

As you're based in England, you'll need to carry with you written permission from the landowner, as well as complying with all sorts of other regulations.

You should find all that you need to know at...... http://www.terrierwork.com/huntingact.htm

And when the right time comes.... be properly prepared and enjoy it.

Y.I.S. - Barrie

Edited by Barrie

hey mitchel1982 I think you just started this new thread cause you wanted to see a fair dig lol

im not sure what you mean dont forget ive never dug a fox n dont know what im doing the dog looked pretty game for a pop at one though and now im going to have to lead him up all the time till I can aford a collar..... My main concern is how do I know my dog is strong enough to take on a fox if he enters when he's bushing for me(wich is what I use him for) ill get the collar for insurance but theres to many unanswered variables for me to feel comfortable with him off his lead wich I need to do for him to work!

Ain't you got a ferret locator pal? Can use insulation tape to attach the transmitter onto dogs collar and use ferret finder receiver to find dog... ideally tho you want somebody to take you out and let you see a few digs,give you an idea as to what goes on...

Already on that one, soon as he did it I thought off the ferret collar thing..... My point is though one my dog isnt at full health yet and I dont particularly want him going down at all it's just with the nature of the work I have him doing, are these sign's he's gunna go down as he gets older(he's only just 1yo) and will a small jack hold his own till I get him out???

Hi Mitchell, don't worry too much about your dog, he will be capable & if it gets too much for him,he will act accordingly.....like the others have said, get a locator & know the law & be prepared.....your dog should be fine mate....ATB

• Like 1