Which Dog?

Hi, looking to get into hunting after fishing for

Many years i wouldnt mind a change. im thinking lamping rabbits and as its all new to me I'm a bit unsure on where I can find any information on what dogs etc will suit my needs. If anyone can offer any advice it would most appreciated. Thanks.

Lewi

Anything with Whippet or of Whippet size would do you fine for Rabbits I'd guess.

It depends on the terrain you want to run the dog on, how your going to be using it (lamping, Ferreting etc.) even things like how much cover you have on your permission can change what dog might be suitable to you.

Their all good at differant things.

Longdogs are obviously the faster crosses but by putting Collie in the mix people try to make the dogs more intelligent or give it more stamina, or by adding Terrier breeds they try to add better coat or more tenacity. The list is endless and so are the points of view.....

There's a search bar at the top right of the THL 'Home' page. Try typing your Topic title into that. This site has masses of information on it, I can almost guarantee most topics on 'Which dog for X quarry' will be covered including pics of the various crosses.

Everyone has their favourite breeds...

Cheers for the feedback. I do intend on doing my homework. I got a few mates who are into it so will be joining them on a few outings to get more of a understanding of it before i dive in and get any old dog. i have been taking my weimaraner out on his walks and he loves chasing rabbits but hes just a bit to slow off the mark. Thanks again ppl

Good luck with your search mate.

You'll get plenty of answers on this but my advice to you is to read as much as you can on here. Research, look back over old threads, see what other people use, ask plenty of question, take some answers with a pinch of salt but take them all on board. This place is a wealth of information if you listen to the right people.

Good luck and all the best :thumbs:

Sam

• Like 2

You say your going to be lamping rabbits, then my choice would be either 3/4 whippet 1/4 collie or 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy, i,d be looking for one that tops out at around 21-22", having said that a good straight whippet would also fit the bill if the ground suits it, atb, buster.