Gutted

jam1

Got up this mornin gone out to rinse dogs out an f****n ferret cage door was open, no ferrets! I've had a look around a got one young hob back, they just mother an son missing!! Do you think they will come back? Any advice to try an get them back?? Thanks

Rabbit live trap bated if you have one and fill with sleeping metetial if large wire hole, they do like a good sleep! Also look in snug areas that they may curl up in under shed etc mine love the sound of jangling keys and will come out to see what's making the noise. Check with the neibours and ask them to let you know asap + ask a mate if you need to be at work if they could be about at short notice to pick one up from area.

Good luck

Gutted for you

ATB

Lee

mine went missing when she was in season, in the boiling weather we had a few weeks bk, i phoned all the vets around the area,asked in local pet shop, i put posters up every where, i had a phone call 5 days later, and she was a mile away, i think she might of got picked up though as to get where she was she would have to swim over a massive tidal river,or walk over a really busy road/bridge, i paid a £20 reward, just glad to have her bk, but normally they dont go very far, check around the niebours gardens, squeek like a distressed rabbit, good luck mate, let us know how you get on, ATB FT

Got up this mornin gone out to rinse dogs out an f****n ferret cage door was open, no ferrets! I've had a look around a got one young hob back, they just mother an son missing!! Do you think they will come back? Any advice to try an get them back?? Thanks

Did you have padlocks on, mate?

My Jill came back still missing a young hob, there a lot of feral cats up my way hope he ok! No pad locks mate I will be now.

I doubt you need to worry about feral cats. They are complete cowards. It takes a special cat to hunt full grown rats or squirrels, let alone a ferret. If your ferret isn't tough enough to fight off a wussy cat then you didn't have a ferret worth keeping anyway! LOL

Last winter one of my tiny little 700 gram female mink killed a full grown feral cat, so no need to worry about cats. I think your ferret would kill a cat long before a cat would kill him, but of course I'm far from a ferret expert as I've only had a couple, and now I work with mink, not ferrets.

I have a mink that I've lost at least half a dozen times and I always get her back. This year she was free for most of the month of August. I would assume that if a wild animal like a mink returns home 6 different times, then his tame and domestic cousin the ferret sure should!

Edited by Minkenry

My Jill came back still missing a young hob, there a lot of feral cats up my way hope he ok! No pad locks mate I will be now.

I doubt you need to worry about feral cats. They are complete cowards. It takes a special cat to hunt full grown rats or squirrels, let alone a ferret. If your ferret isn't tough enough to fight off a wussy cat then you didn't have a ferret worth keeping anyway! LOL

Last winter one of my tiny little 700 gram female mink killed a full grown feral cat, so no need to worry about cats. I think your ferret would kill a cat long before a cat would kill him, but of course I'm far from a ferret expert as I've only had a couple, and now I work with mink, not ferrets.

I have a mink that I've lost at least half a dozen times and I always get her back. This year she was free for most of the month of August. I would assume that if a wild animal like a mink returns home 6 different times, then his tame and domestic cousin the ferret sure should!

Wow! did you see the cat/mink encounter happen? must have been a weak little feral cat :whistling:

Edited by onthehunt

Wow! did you see the cat/mink encounter happen? must have been a weak little feral cat :whistling:

It looked pretty average to me. Not too big, not too small. Sure put up a fight! At first the cat was looking at the mink like "ooo what do we have here? A nice overgrown mouse?" My mink was locked in her cage and going crazy running back and forth, wanting to get at the cat. I laughed and said, "So you think you can handle her do you? Well go ahead and try but don't come crying to me when she kicks your butt."

I let the mink have at her, and she ran straight up to the cat who showed no fear until the mink was just a couple feet away, then she arched her back and hissed, striking at the mink's face with her claws. My little mink dipped and dived dodging the cat's claws, and then jumped in and grabbed the cat by the nose like a little pit bull baiting a bear! I had my camera, and almost started videoing it, but decided I better not because I might have someone turn me in for animal cruelty. Just about no one cares when your mink kills a rat, but everyone's up in arms when it's a "cute little kitty". It's the same reason you won't find any videos of me give domestic rabbits to my mink, though I do it all the time when my mink are young and still in training.

So the cat and mink were rolling around on the ground and I started to get worried. I was about to step in when it looked like my mink's head was in the cat's mouth, but then my mink squirmed around and maneuvered herself to the cat's back. She looked like a little jockey ridding a thoroughbred! She chewed into the back of the cat's head as the cat squirmed around and around, trying to get the mink off of it's back. Finally the cat somehow escaped (I don't remember how or why, just that it did) and the cat ran off and tied to climb to get away from the mink. The mink just jumped up and grabbed the lowest hind leg on the cat as the cat was climbing, and the cat released it's grip and fell as it tried to get the mink which was attached to it's leg.

They both ended up in a heap rolling around trying to get at each other, and it was only a moment before the mink was back on top of the cat chewing on the back of its neck. Eventually the cat went into shock, and my mink ran off to get a drink and soak in some water to cool off. Then she came back to the half alive, but too in shock to move cat, and tried to drag it away. The cat was too big for her to move, so I grabbed it by its tail as she grabbed it by it's head, and I helped her drag it to her carry box. I then gave her some meat to eat while I put the in shock cat out of its misery.

Guest norseman

Neighbours are the best, mine escaped once, neighbours called round to tell me they were in their garden,

same here, shear luck I put an add on gumtree for missing ferret and the neighbour seen the add, called round with her when she was able to get the ferret. tell your neighbours to keep an eye out.

It looked pretty average to me. Not too big, not too small. Sure put up a fight! At first the cat was looking at the mink like "ooo what do we have here? A nice overgrown mouse?" My mink was locked in her cage and going crazy running back and forth, wanting to get at the cat. I laughed and said, "So you think you can handle her do you? Well go ahead and try but don't come crying to me when she kicks your butt."

I let the mink have at her, and she ran straight up to the cat who showed no fear until the mink was just a couple feet away, then she arched her back and hissed, striking at the mink's face with her claws. My little mink dipped and dived dodging the cat's claws, and then jumped in and grabbed the cat by the nose like a little pit bull baiting a bear! I had my camera, and almost started videoing it, but decided I better not because I might have someone turn me in for animal cruelty. Just about no one cares when your mink kills a rat, but everyone's up in arms when it's a "cute little kitty". It's the same reason you won't find any videos of me give domestic rabbits to my mink, though I do it all the time when my mink are young and still in training.

So the cat and mink were rolling around on the ground and I started to get worried. I was about to step in when it looked like my mink's head was in the cat's mouth, but then my mink squirmed around and maneuvered herself to the cat's back. She looked like a little jockey ridding a thoroughbred! She chewed into the back of the cat's head as the cat squirmed around and around, trying to get the mink off of it's back. Finally the cat somehow escaped (I don't remember how or why, just that it did) and the cat ran off and tied to climb to get away from the mink. The mink just jumped up and grabbed the lowest hind leg on the cat as the cat was climbing, and the cat released it's grip and fell as it tried to get the mink which was attached to it's leg.

They both ended up in a heap rolling around trying to get at each other, and it was only a moment before the mink was back on top of the cat chewing on the back of its neck. Eventually the cat went into shock, and my mink ran off to get a drink and soak in some water to cool off. Then she came back to the half alive, but too in shock to move cat, and tried to drag it away. The cat was too big for her to move, so I grabbed it by its tail as she grabbed it by it's head, and I helped her drag it to her carry box. I then gave her some meat to eat while I put the in shock cat out of its misery.

Mmmmm..Sounds like a tall story :laugh::laugh::laugh: Not sure a mink would bother with a cat unless trying to defend itself. would sure love to see that on videotape..shame you didn't record it :D