Help With Breeding.

If you repeat a mating the same potential is there that was in the first mating. The dog or bitches dna has not changed so i cant take it as a FACT that repeat matings dont work. Thats nonsense. Chances are the first mating didnt work so these oldtimers didnt chance the second. Ive seen repeat mating work very well for the work i do. JMHO. I think its as GTE says theres nothing garanteed with any litter first or a repeat.

I didn't say it was FACT I just said I've heard it before ! I get what you're saying about the DNA being the same so the chances " should " be the same . Surely though once you've bred a litter has thrown grafters then the repeat should through grafters every time ?

It should work that way in my opinion but you just never no wat way a litter will go in the terrier world thats what keeps things interesting. Its nice when you have a good working dog and bitch preferably off the same blood and you think they should compliment each other and produce well bred workers but sometimes thats not the case and the mating may not gel and could produce a large ammount of waste. I have a good strong choc bitch who has served me well for the past five seasons in pup to a related strong black dog who is very impressive with a hell of alot of game dug. She is due any day now and you couldnt help but think itll be a sucess. Im hoping lol. Time will tell

You say with your bitch you but it over a dog related to - line breeding right. Not a problem im not slating line breeding.My bitch is line bred but you not think puting some fresh blood in the line I.e another proven dog from complete different line freshens up the bred, as I've herd too much line breeding over and over the same line can result in under/overshot jaw and most important no brains and complete nutcase of a dog.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

!!!!!Breeding is gambling!!!!!   You want garantie then better go and buy a toaster!

If the line is that good why are you left with 1 young birch to keep it going? Surely there are older tested dogs in the line you could use, even if they are somebody else's????

The way i see it huntermanic is that the least anyone can do is put a good dog over a good bitch worker to worker. But youd be more likely to have sucess and should breed a higher percentage of workers if you use blood that you know inside out. You could get very good pups by using unrelated blood and sometimes an outcross of unrelated blood is needed if a line has gone to far but youll usually find the best results come from a family of terriers as your not taking a chance on somebodies word that a terrier is as good as they say and you know the capabilities of the dog and bitch you are using and your keeping all the qualities of your dogs firmly in place. Alot of care has to be taken when bringing in outside blood as theres alot at stake if you dont do your homework right. I ithink im starting to ramble on again lol

You sound more like a goat entering a terrier at 8 months, breeding a bitch when shes in her first proper season, and coming on here asking advice off people you dont even know. I have also heard about repeat matings not being as good as the first but I will disagree, what if the first litter produced more workers but the repeat mating produced workers with the extra gear, what would you class as the best litter? Like I said it's your bitch and you will do what you like and no doubt your going to breed her soon as a bit of blood trickles from her minge. But if I gave you a pup and you started her at 8 months I doubt id give you another, also if you bred her at two year old and you and your mates had plenty of terriers about you id probably not be happy...but that's just me. We don't breed unless we need to.

I get the impression you don't like me mr goat.
never judge someone without knowing them..just I disagree with some of your ways, and im sure you will disagree with some of my ways.

Fair play.

The way i see it huntermanic is that the least anyone can do is put a good dog over a good bitch worker to worker. But youd be more likely to have sucess and should breed a higher percentage of workers if you use blood that you know inside out. You could get very good pups by using unrelated blood and sometimes an outcross of unrelated blood is needed if a line has gone to far but youll usually find the best results come from a family of terriers as your not taking a chance on somebodies word that a terrier is as good as they say and you know the capabilities of the dog and bitch you are using and your keeping all the qualities of your dogs firmly in place. Alot of care has to be taken when bringing in outside blood as theres alot at stake if you dont do your homework right. I ithink im starting to ramble on again lol

So would you say people line bred because they no what they are putting in than gambling with some dog they don't no about and ruining the line and stock.

People line bred out necessity back in the day transport was not what is today. So imagine a bitch come in season and the nearest dog was a right march away. And you had a worker sat in the kennel who was related. Some how think lines were what they were and not a planed venture to create a type they worked they worked

I see.