Getting The Best From Our Dogs

To get the best out of your dog, good dog men,and women, know you must put

the time and effort in, ie, getting them fit, the correct food, as skycat states.

But that special bond where both dog and dog worker, really have a good

understanding with each other, is really really important, the stronger the bond

the better the outcome, also obviously the correct fitness, would you agree....

Also getting that bond right takes quite a long time, and once that bond

is made, and both you and dog understand each other, your best friend

will run their hearts out. That special bond shows especially when out

mooching.

I agree that a good bond is vital, especially for a mooching dog. However, the quicker the owner understands the way the dog is "wired" and works to the dogs instincts/capabilities the better the working partnership will be. Too many dogs get ruined or passed on because the owner will not or cannot understand the strengths/mentality of the dog

• Like 5

You need the silk in the first place. But you've still gotta put in alot of graft to make that silk into a silk purse :thumbs:

You need the silk in the first place. But you've still gotta put in alot of graft to make that silk into a silk purse :thumbs:

Are you sure?

Seen a few silk purses turned into sow's ears over the years....

Many don't keep dogs long enough to develop any kind of relationship or bond....let alone something special.... :icon_redface:

Really special bonds between man and dog are rarer than you think....most would need a bucket of evo-stick to achieve it.....and even then some wouldn't be able to pull it off..... :thumbs:

• Like 4

Really special bonds between man and dog are rarer than you think....most would need a bucket of evo-stick to achieve it.....and even then some wouldn't be able to pull it off..... :thumbs:

Totally agree....I've seen people who own dogs who couldn't bond properly with a dog if their life depended on it.

There's a world of difference between a true dog person and someone who has owned dogs but is unable to make that connection, and I don't think it's something you can learn or change, not easily anyway. If you are a true dog person and have that vibe with your dogs then training and working them is a million times easier....and I also think it's one of the biggest reasons potentially good dogs turn to shit in certain hands, and on the opposite end of the spectrum why some people can get no so good dogs to reach their potential, not necessarily be brilliant workers, but to reach their potential.

Another point is that those people who don't have that ability to form a true bond, don't understand it and most of the time don't recognise that they don't have that nack. So if they have a dog that turns to shit they tend to blame everything but themselves, or put it down to one of them things.....IMO. Some dogs probably are a lost cause work-wise, but a lot is down to what's at the other end of the lead, so to speak.

I would say that with age comes maturity, but keep a very close eye on your dogs

really study them, and get to know what they are about, because they are studying

your every move, once you understand each other, as in my case, that bond was achieved..

Totally agree....I've seen people who own dogs who couldn't bond properly with a dog if their life depended on it.

There's a world of difference between a true dog person and someone who has owned dogs but is unable to make that connection, and I don't think it's something you can learn or change, not easily anyway. If you are a true dog person and have that vibe with your dogs then training and working them is a million times easier....and I also think it's one of the biggest reasons potentially good dogs turn to shit in certain hands, and on the opposite end of the spectrum why some people can get no so good dogs to reach their potential, not necessarily be brilliant workers, but to reach their potential.

Another point is that those people who don't have that ability to form a true bond, don't understand it and most of the time don't recognise that they don't have that nack. So if they have a dog that turns to shit they tend to blame everything but themselves, or put it down to one of them things.....IMO. Some dogs probably are a lost cause work-wise, but a lot is down to what's at the other end of the lead, so to speak.

yes+ no, its like in life you carnt always get on with every person you meet, some times you get on really well, other time you know its not going to happen. Same with dogs, some you get that feeling about them, others just do a good job, but you know deep down there no real bond. Ive always thought as we keep working dogs, and if they do in the field what you had the dog for, and does ok at that job, well does it really matter.? Ithink its (only) when the (dont) do that job in the field that you look as your relationship with the dog.? Iknow few lads that had dogs over the years ,that the dogs (natural) pre drive wanted to catch a hare or kill a fox, nothing to do with the bond of the owner, as these lads just looked at the dogs as tools nothing else.And to honest they had very good sport with them. Isuppose it make life easier if you do bond with the dog, but as above some dogs will work just as good if you dont, for the reason above. :yes: