Gilford Lurcher And Terrier Show (Borris)

Just like to say a big well done to Ian ,Justin and their crew on a fantastic days racing and showing, judges done an excellent job ,everything ran extra smooth ,great crowd ,great craic ,just a real good show, ,overall show winner a cracker well deserved :thumbs: .

Just like to say a big well done to Ian ,Justin and their crew on a fantastic days racing and showing, judges done an excellent job ,everything ran extra smooth ,great crowd ,great craic ,just a real good show, ,overall show winner a cracker well deserved :thumbs: .

they didn't well totally agree ;)

Sorry but I totally disagree with most of the above comments.My main complaint is LOCATION, we were stuck away over a hill out of sight from the main crowd, like second class citizens and much too near the clay shooters.When people did find the judging area the small gateway was almost invisible and lots of people had to get over a sheep/barbed wire fence ! If the terrier and lurcher people have any chance of getting a better acceptance with joe public at least if they could see our dogs and maybe spend a while at the ringside things might improve.At the fair I couldn't find a sign to tell you where the terrier and lurchers were, there was a sign in the main area with direction arrows to everything except terrier and lurchers ! To tell the truth the number and quality of terriers was low with the usual entries by hooray Henry's with their immaculately groomed lapdogs that never saw the inside of an earth.

A.t.b. Burrowman

• Like 2

Well done Ian and co. We had a good day out and there was some great prizes. Well done to Denis with his winning whippet and the lurcher winners too. Good job done also John Rooney, taking the snaps and doing a great job calling the shots at the finish line of each race.

I thought the field was a big improvement than 2012, as last year the showing and racing was near enough in the main carpark and entrance to the fair. This time round, the racing track and show rings were well laid out, and with 4 dogs with me, I was happy that my dogs were safe and I could see them at all times.

Just a point on the signs and shooting, I made it into the main fair and did see 3 big signs for the lurcher/terriers section, no different to all the other signs in there. I got chatting to a fair few people and families who strolled in from the show, looking at all the dogs and commenting even though they were working dogs, they could see the effort put into them.

And regarding the clay shooting, the positioning was same as Birr last year. They were close but didn't notice them after a while, and they weren't as loud as the airplanes skydiving towards us when we were in the show ring :)

Again, thanks everyone for a good day out with the dogs.

Edited by blue 999
  • Like 1

would have to agree that the terrier numbers were well down from last year. in saying that thought the terrier that won overall terrier was in the best condition ive ever seen a terrier.fair play to the chap that owns it. and would agree with blue 999 i thought that the whole lurcher terrier and whippet area was a big improvement on last year. so other than the terrier numbers being low . i think the show was a well ran event.

• Like 1

its very hard to keep everyone happy all of the time , i agree with both comments above ,its a day out with friends, family dogs whatever bit of craic ,the lads done a good job ,as i said you just cant please everyone ,good to see most people had a good day.

• Like 1

We would like to say thanks to everyone who attended our show which was a great days racing & showing,

It was good to get catching up with a lot of folk whom i hav'nt seen in a while and the crack was good.

A big well done to all the class winners and congratulations to the Lurcher,Terrier & Whippet Champions whom

went home with top prizes.

A special thanks to the following people for their effort in helping with a successful show.

.Mark O'Neill - Lurcher Judge

.Fiona Devlin - Whippet Judge

.John Heslip - Terrier Judge

Also thanks to young Liam & John Rooney for their help with the racing & taking photo's.

And finally thanks to the following sponsor's.

Red Mill Dog Meal

.Slaneyside Kennels

.Lazer Now Trophies

.National Country Fair

Regards Ian.D

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By appleblossom
      UP DATED LIST OF DOG SHOWS / RACEDAYS/ GAMEFAIRS FOR 2022 UPDATED ( 31.7.2022)

SUNDAY 14th AUGUST  22 ( DOG SHOW AND RACEDAY )
      MAN - O - WAR
      WILL BE HAVING THEIR ANNUAL SHOW ON SUNDAY 14TH AUGUST 22. AT KEADY, CO ARMAGH ( Venue opposite Clay Lake) ON THE CASTLEBLANEY ROAD OUTSIDE KEADY. THIS SHOW IS FAMOUS FOR ITS BRILLIANT RACE COURSE. FULL DETAILS LATER. SATURDAY 27th AUGUST 22
      TALLYHO DOG SHOW AND RACEDAY. AT NUTTS CORNER Co ANTRIM
      SUNDAY 28th AUGUST 22
      TALLY HO WORKING DOG CLUB, WHIPPET DOG SHOW AND RACEDAY  AT  NUTTS CORNER, Co ANTRIM
      SUNDAY 16TH OCTOBER  22
      LOUD AND PROUD UP THE NORTH, DOG SHOW AND RACE DAY. FULL DETAILS LATER.
      SUNDAY 18th DECEMBER 22
      LOUD AND PROUD UP THE NORTH, DOG SHOW AND RACE DAY. FULL DETAILS LATER.
      MARGARET Mc STAY
    • By appleblossom
      ***HI HOO,HIGH HOO**
      ITS OFF WE GO TO THE 
      MAN – O – WAR  DOG SHOW AND RACE DAY THIS  SUNDAY 14th AUGUST 22 
      VENUE : (FIELD OPPOSITE CLAY LAKE ON THE KEADY / CASTLEBLANEY ROAD)
      FOR YOUR SAT NAVS:
      BT60 3QS
      RACING WILL BE BEFORE SHOWING
      GATE OPENS AT 9.30AM
      ***Racing entries will be taken from 10.00am, With first Race commencing  at 11.30am. This is the Best Racing up hill course in the Country.
      Showing will start after the Racing is finished.
       ***RACING CLASSES*** 
      GREYHOUND
      WHIPPETS
      UNDER  21”
      UNER 22”
      ELITE UNDER 23 “ 
      LURCHER UNDER 23”
      UNDER 24”
      UNDER 24” HAIRY
      OVER 24” MASTER Mc GRATH QUALIFER
      HAIRY DOGS MICK THE MILLER QUALIFER
      HEAVY BULL X
      TERRIERS
      PUPPY ( IF ENOUGH INTEREST )
      ***NOW DON’T YOU FORGET NOW, ALWAYS A TOP CLASS SHOW AND A GREAT FAMILY DAY OUT***
      Margaret Mc Stay 
    • By appleblossom
      THE BURREN WORKING DOG SHOW AND RACEDAY
      SATURDAY  30TH JULY 22  ALL PROCEEDS GOING TO CHARITY.
      Despite the intermittent rain showers, a very enjoyable day was had by all on Saturday. There was a large crowd in attendance with all breeds of dogs, and all out to support this most worthy cause.
      HERE ARE THE SHOWING AND RACING RESULTS  FROM THE SHOW
      SHOWING
      ***OVERALL SHOW CHAMPION AND BEST IN SHOW**
      * CONOR QUINN WITH MEG AND HANDLED BY STEPHEN MC KEOWN*
      CONGRATULATIONS CONOR AND STEPHEN
      RACING  RESULTS
      Under 21s 
      1st... Kirsty Harpur with Rosie
      Under 22s
      1st... Kirsty Harpur with Dash
      Under 23s
      1st...Yapper Hayes with Jessie
      Under 23s Traditional Lurcher
      1st...Johnny Hunter with Jess
      Master McGrath 
      1st...Sheamus Hart with Moses
      Under 24 Hairy
      1st...Shane  Brett with Rose
      Hairy Mick the Miller 
      1st...Adam O Riordan with Joey
      Light Bull 
      1st...Joyce Scott with Mabel
      Heavy bull
      1st...James  with Storm
      Whippets
      1st...Joyce Scott with Duncan
      Puppy race
      1st...Adele Morrissey with Fia

Margaret Mc Stay
    • By appleblossom
      SUNDAY 7th AUGUST 22 ( SHOWING AND RACING )
      MID AND EAST ANTRIM WORKING DOG CLUB,ALONG WITH THE HURLEY FAMILY, ARE HAVING A CHARITY EVENT FOR THE KEVIN BELL REPATRIATION TRUST, AT "THE FIELD OF DREAMS" GULLADUFF, MAGERAFELT.  
      FOR YOUR SAT NAV : 
      BT45 8PA

Margaret Mc Stay
    • By appleblossom
      Loud and Proud Dog Show and Race Day at the "Field of Dreams"   Sunday 24th July 22

The Field Of Dreams is an established business run and owned by the Hurley family, with an up to date Schooling Track , set in grandeur on the edge of the beautiful North Coast of Ireland. This was the venue for the Loud and Proud Dog Show and Race day Sunday 24th July 22. After a trouble free journey, with dogs in tow, we arrived at our destination at approximately 11.00am.
      On entering the field, the place was full to capacity, buzzing with activity and excitement with a burger stand on site to feed us all for the day. With a few heavy showers of rain thrown inn, this did not dampen the spirits of the good Canine folk, who came out for a great days sportsmanship, and maybe go home with a rosette or trophy thrown into the bargain.
      It was nice to see so many new faces there, along with the regular show goers. The banter and the craic was good, with large and small families, old and young taking part in the showing, racing and all the activities that goes with all the fun of a Dog Show. 
      Harry John Digging, of North Down K9 Facilities, in conjunction with Barry Kelly, Drom Aluinn Kennells ran their Dog Athletics and Dog Agility all day alongside the show, imparting their knowledge on Dog Athletics and Agility and giving some helpful hints to our dog owners. This proved to be a very successful part of the show and the interest was phenomenal. Long may it continue.
      It is always nice to meet nice people, and they were out in abundance at the Field of Dreams on Sunday. The Hurley Family put their grief aside for an hour or two and came out on Sunday to support this great cause that is so dear and so deeply wedged in a broken heart. 
      Time passes so quickly, and very soon I could hear Morris Tomas dulcet tones ringing out “ Its Race time” With Mc Grath Racing team on the starting line, The Loud and Proud Dog Show and Race day was soon on its way. Here are the Racing  Results
      FROM THE PEN OF THE Mc GRATH RACING TEAM
      KC Whippet
      Pat McGovern with Musketeer
      NON KC Whippet 
      Sean Burke with Jack
      Under 21s
      Linzi Gardiner Magill with Beauty
      Under 22ss
      Rose McCoy with Texas
      Under 23s Elites
      Linzi Gardiner Magill with Briar
      Under 23 Traditional Lurcher 
      Matthew Fennelly with Leela
      Under 24s
      Colin Tucker with Fletcher
      Over 24s (Master McGrath)
      Michael Mc Grath with Welford
      Hairy Dogs (Mick the Millar)
      Eddie Kane with Duke
      Over 24s Lurcher 
      Paul with King 
      Heavy Bull Cross
      Joyce Scott with Mabel
      Showing Results
      Champion Whippet
      Colin Tucker with Cooper
      Reserve
      Milly Grant with Sally
      Champion Lurcher
      Conor Doherty with Shaq
      Reserve
      Jay Hara with Caneleno
      Champion Terrier
      Richard O Callaghan with Sabour Tout
      Reserve
      Peter Morgan with Fiddler
      Champion Strong Dog
      Gail Ross with Harry
      Champion Terrier Pup
      Terry Moore with Digger
      Reserve
      Paddy O Lynn with Tess
      Champion Strong Pup
      Danielle McDowell with Loki
      Champion Whippet Pup
      Tasha Treusdale with Pokka
      Overall Champion Pup
      Tasha Treusdale with Pokka
      Overall Show Champion
      Richard O Callaghan with Sabour Tout
      Reserve
      Colin Tucker with Cooper
      Best in Show Champion
      Tasha Treusdale with Pooka
      A big Congratulations to all above winners.
      And Finally, may I take this opportunity on behalf of the Loud and Proud show organisers, to thank the judges for a very efficient and well conducted judging routine carried out on the day.
      Whippets/ David Campbell - Terriers/Scott Collins - Lurchers / Pat Mc Govern & James Woods - Strong Dogs/John Steele.
      It was a sight to see little Prea Duff judging the Childrens handling class and most definitely the highlight of the day. For a little girl of a very young age, it filled my heart with pride and almost brought a tear to my eye to see the job this young lady was doing. Very well done Prea and a great example of our up and coming young sportsmen and women of the future. Its nice to know in years to come Prea will be more than able to take over my job after the Angels have carted me away to the sky.
      As usual the Mc Grath Racing Team looked after the racing, and done a wonderful job sending many avid racers home happy with a trophy or two.
      And Finally, Finally, if it were not for the organisers of the Loud and Proud Dog Show Morris Tomas, Harry John Digging, with assistance from Chontelle Mc Meekan and The Hurley family, none of this would off happened. This was certainly a show with a difference, and a roaring  success, a credit to the Loud and Proud team, and above all for a great cause.
      At the end of the show Morris Tomas  and Harry John Digging presented Chontelle Mc Meekan and Mark Mc Callion with £500 proceeds from the show, to go to The Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust. This Charity is very dear to the Hurley Family and was there for them when they needed it most.
      I have learned from my own experience you can never mend a broken heart, but you can try to live with it. It takes time and it is hard when you loose two members of a family, both so young and so much to live for. Hopefully this donation from the Loud and Proud Show will help another poor family in a similar situation.
      Thank you Morris Tomas and Harry John Digging of the Loud and Proud Dog Show for a lovely day and we are already looking forward to the next one.

Margaret Mc Stay