Rescue Dogs

Anyone successfully take on a rescue dog as a busher? Rescues are fully of terriers and you often hear on here "most terriers will enter cover". I've seen at least two or three none working stock terriers that woudn't enter cover if their lives depended on it though, so I'm a bit sceptical about that claim. I'd be interested to see how many people have taken on a rescue and turned it into a good busher, and equally how many people have taken on a rescue (terrier) that's been about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Obviously being a good busher is not just about entering the cover, but you can't make a good busher out of a dog that WON'T enter cover full stop....and by cover I mean brambles/gorse etc.

Had a b+t heinz 57 with everything in the mix when I was a kid, out of the pound, the obvious breeds in her were russel and lab, she spent all her time digging up nests of rats and voles and caught a good few rabbits everywhere from rough ground to cliffs and in places no lurcher could get to... being from a non hunting family we tried to discourage this lol

Wish I had her now I tell ye

• Like 1

Yes I've succesfully taken on rescue dogs.

My Brittany, taken from the rescue at age 7, clicked the first time out. Very passionate, stamina through the roof, will go anywhere a rabbit will go. Points, retrieves. Have said this in several other threads as well, although he is not build for speed he will outrun racier, bigger and younger dogs because of his drive.

The chiuahua JR cross. We (the GF) got him at 3 years old. He's now 8. Took him out ferreting last year, clicked the first time. He will not go into very dense cover but is a very intelligent little dog which marks and will catch some bolters or some small rabbits when bushing. He's got a very thick but soft coat, he's never affected by the cold/rain.

The JR, belongs to my brother in law. Think she's 3 atm. Took some time to click but from that moment on she's caught quite a lot of bolters and smaller ones while bushing. She will go anywhere the rabbits go. Due to her size, guessing only 8-9", a broken coat and a very light racy build she's become a valuable busher. Ideal in hedges and to bush under brambles. She's gone to ground after the rabbits, not that I like that but she is small enough to actually turn around in a warren.

There's another rescue. My sisters JR/ Teckel/ local terrier cross. Been with us several times. She's starting to like it, due to her size (another small one) she can go almost anywhere. However not as driven as the small JR.

I'm certain I'll use another rescue or dog that needs a home when out ferreting or bushing in the future. The Brittany was probably a once in a lifetime dog, turned out to be a ped. dog and a great worker. The other dogs that I've used that came from a rescue or have been rehomed have been usefull and work just fine. Some better than others,are all 4 great/good? No, probably 2/4. However all 4 are worth taking them into the field.

I think even the average working dogs (which you should be able to find in a shelter) can be ok as bushers, especially when they have started to work as a pack. With some luck you might just find a real good one.

The chiuahua cross is not to keen on brambles but will follow the Brittany (who gives tongue) and positions himself where he thinks something might bolt from the brambles. In my case the Brittany makes up for a lot of what the others lack. Without him some of the other dogs would look worse.

Why not send him a pm: http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/295864-cocker-spaniel-dogfree-to-good-home/

Edited by Bossie

I took on a dog back in the early 90s! it was a whippet terrier mix and feck me was he good. I would use him to flush rabbits to the lurchers but he would catch more than the lurchers. if I could have kept his nose off the ground I think he would have made a decent lamper. I went out with a local traveller and doubled him up on hares and actually nabbed a couple over the years!

No mate just asked to help find him a home but just an example of what comes in.

Why don't you give him a "forever" home? You ain't much use to the rescue centre if you can't look after one little terrier!

Hahaha you know damn well I'm full here but you've got plenty of room for a small one and seeing as yours are both show ponies this one will fit right in,well done on more rosettes yesterday ;)

I've got a top secret lurcher pup coming, all my time will be dedicated to that I'm afraid. And after my 15 minute dog walk, which resulted in 5 cats being chased, 2 which were treed, I'm in no need of another terrier.

Those rossettes were the fantasy type. We went spearfishing at first light and then I went home to drink wine all day. We never made the show!!!

The thing with rescues, is you never really know how the dog is bred etc. It could well be from a working back ground. You would probably do fine with a pup, but i'm not so sure about an adult dog?

And the statement 'any terrier will enter and work cover' is about as true as 'any ferret will work as well as others'.

You should advertise him on here as "100% proven worker from working lines, no faults" and sell him for £200.

There's enough messers already trying that stunt on here!!!

He's just a young dog which we know nothing about no point in bullshitting,might work out for someone might not who knows?

The thing with rescues, is you never really know how the dog is bred etc. It could well be from a working back ground. You would probably do fine with a pup, but i'm not so sure about an adult dog?

And the statement 'any terrier will enter and work cover' is about as true as 'any ferret will work as well as others'.

yeah but if you get a young dog or pup it's easy to tell if it's robust and energetic,and if it is and has some drive i cant see you going far wrong.

if anything going to the rescue you'd have a lot of choice and probably find something,whereas if you buy a pup you're stuck with it good or bad.