Patterdale Having Fits?

Ive got a boarder cross dog that used to fit occasionally. Started after he ran into my digger bucket flat out.

Used to fit if he got over excited or tried to keep up with my lurcher. Took him to the vets and explained the symptoms. She put it down to epilepsy brought on by the head injury.

He is now on meds everyday but the vet assured me that he cannot have a fit whilst on the meds and that it was perfectly safe to continue working him. Had my best season ever with him this year and without any fits at all.

I really thought i was going to have to retire him, now i just pay for the meds at £13/ month and have no worries working him.

Hope that helps

Mooching kelt, that is interesting reading, common in border terriers which is inherited. There is a vid on YouTube of a border having a fit & it looks a lot like what my pat suffers from apart from the vomiting. I'm sure patterdales may have had a bit of border blood thrown in over the years so perhaps some have inherited this syndrome, a low protein/gluten free diet is supposed to help, mine is feed mainly barf so might try it on some dry food might be worth a try. Cheers

• 6 years later...

My beautiful Pat used to fit maybe once a year but around the last 18 months now she is 7 they happen when she is over excited or worked even happy dreams . HEMP helps a lot but don't know how much longer she can cope bless . Good luck with your Pats x 

15653576175913285143160711419769.jpg