Asking For A Open Ticket?

HI there

im currently on a closed ticket with a mentor condition

just wanted to whats the best way to go about asking to lift the mentor condition and open my tickit?

is it a good idea to ask for both at the same time or shall i just ask to lift the mentoring and wait a bit to ask for an open ticket?

any advice greatfull

Thank you

middle of last year according to his post on another thread, long time to be on a mentoring for?

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hi all
i got my FAC with the use of a .22 rimfire around six months ago

i am wanting to apply for a 243 for fox and deer control as i have been asked by land owners if i could.do so.

is it best to leave it a certain time before applying or will it be ok??

cheers

I mentored a friend of mine , he did a spread sheet of all our outings , he logged all we see , why we shot , why we never shot , what we shot .What we did after the shot , etc etc . The firearms debt were that impressed with his portfolio he got his open ticket in 12 months.I might add he is a senior pilot & absorbs information like blotting paper, but his presentation was unbelievable & any firearms dept would have had a difficult job turning down his application ....it can be done with the right approach . The quickest I've ever had dealings with ..

Edited by sussex
  • Like 2

in reply to paulus

The mentor condition was only for the .243 not the .22 got my cert back with the .243 and the mentor condition just after christmas and bought my rifle and the end of january so about 5 months.

Thanks

I think you will be very lucky indeed to get your ticket opened up after just 5 months experience,I think you will find after you have had your mentor condition lifted you will be subject to a period of shooting on ground passed safe for the calibre, and then get it opened once you have proved yourself,you can ask but I would wager a bob or two on that being the reply.

• Like 1

hi all my experience was zilch and went lamping with a keeper ,i think it depends on the police force ,mine in north yorkshire gave me an open ticket

straight away and also the correct wording on your aplication helps ,i was told by 2 fac holders to state and write "the rifle to be used for fox and deer and for zeroing on ranges or land ,over which the holder has LAWFUL AUTHORITY TO SHOOT over any estate ,

this provides you with an open ticket as long as you have authority to do so ,the police force have to give you a reason NOT to warrant an open ticket as you are entitled to use your rifle where you have permission to MANAGE vermin or game

thats another important word MANAGE

THATS JUST MY EXPERIENCE and its served me ok

cheers all some sound advice

i wasnt thinking of asking just yet just wanted to know other people experience of gainig an open ticket.

sonds like logging down all the shooting i do sounds a good idea so thanks for that :thumbs:

Thanks again

Like so many aspects of firearms legislation it seems to be up to your local police force and even to the mood of your firearms officer on the day.

There is no legal minimum time, in law, before a licence can be "open".

Some forces may use 3 years as a rule of thumb and others the five years to renewal and even then only if you ask.

If you have a reasonable number of permissions, can persuade the police that you are mature, safe, and experienced and above all are being disadvantaged by having a closed ticket (missing shooting opportunities...) then write them a polite letter outlining your need for an open licence and see what happens.

If they refuse (a typical first response) write back and make your case again, politely asking them to review their first decision and perhaps backing this second letter up with a supporting letter from a farmer or fellow shooter. High rates of ammunition use also helps, not difficult with rimfire.

As I said, it is not a matter of law, it is a decision taken locally over which your firearms officer has a great deal of influence.