MY POST???

Guest FOXDOG

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joe ox
im not saying the couldnt kill decent hauls on the lamp but what is the ingredient that stops them being able to kill hares regulary daytime? if they can kill 20 on the lamp, why arnt all the daytime lads using them for matching,,there has to be something missing,,,its either speed or stamina..i dont mean this as an argument it would just be nice to put an end to the continuing argument..why cant the collie/minshaw x kill hares regular in daytime???? saluki x can do it daytime and on the lamp....there is a few lads on here that use saluki x for ferreting, lamping ,bushing etc..but how many serious coursing lads are running colllie/minshaw dogs????

A heavy saturated saluki x killing hares into double figures on the lamp! has anyone seen this or got a saluki x what kills daytime hares with ease that can go into double figures regulary on the lamp?

Guest joe ox
Are you here to cause trouble joe ox because you are going the right way about it from some of the replies you have posted toward's other member's..

Millet

Please explain to me where i have caused trouble on this thread, I have expressed my opinion disagreed with other opinions but definatly not caused trouble!

im not saying the couldnt kill decent hauls on the lamp but what is the ingredient that stops them being able to kill hares regulary daytime? if they can kill 20 on the lamp, why arnt all the daytime lads using them for matching,,there has to be something missing,,,its either speed or stamina..i dont mean this as an argument it would just be nice to put an end to the continuing argument..why cant the collie/minshaw x kill hares regular in daytime???? saluki x can do it daytime and on the lamp....there is a few lads on here that use saluki x for ferreting, lamping ,bushing etc..but how many serious coursing lads are running colllie/minshaw dogs????

A heavy saturated saluki x killing hares into double figures on the lamp! has anyone seen this or got a saluki x what kills daytime hares with ease that can go into double figures regulary on the lamp?

yes i got two

Guest SKINNER

Ive been enjoying reading this thread for the last couple of days, apart from the very 1st post by FOXDOG swearing at a kid but that got removed, i cant see that Joe ox is causing trouble, he has asked a genuine question for the owners of salukis to answer, whats the problem in that? are you a saluki owner Millet and is it possible that you cant and havent done it is that the problem? I too would like to know if any saluki owners can and have done it.

Guest SKINNER
i know of several people who have joe .....baz is one off them i dont know if the others who i know of want to come foward but yes theres such dogs ... :thumbs:

Was that from 10 - 20 or over 20?

Guest joe ox

yes i got two

What way are they bred have they done it regulary?

Not taking side's (i keep a collie x) but this vid kind of sums up the saluki's determination and stamina.

I didnt see anything special there a greyhound could of straight lined that in 30 secs or less not 1 minute 49 seconds!

This thread is titled "STAMINA" Have taken this little snippet from a seminar given by Dan Belkin Ph.D

Dan Belkin earned a Ph.D. in biology at the University of Florida in 1961. He was an evolutionary biologist specializing in physiological and ethological ecology, supported by a National Institutes of Health Career Research Fellowship at the University of Florida Medical School. He also taught respiration and nutrition in the physiology department. His interest in Salukis arose from his experience in falconry. He began flying hawks in 1947, and flew passage peregrines from 1956 to 1970. Dan has had a lifelong interest in predator/prey ethology. In 1971, he abandoned his scientific career in order to course Salukis full time, which he continued to do until 1985. He remained active by judging and otherwise watching Salukis. Dan married his wife, Laura, in 1961. They have had Salukis instead of children, and are responsible for the Bayt Shahin prefix

The quarry also dictates the type of Saluki you need. If you are coursing donkeys (which used to be done), Oryx, or other large antelope, you need quite a different dog than if you are coursing hares. Theoretically, if you want to build a hound with which to course gazelle, and also build a hound to course hares, you are going to end up with two quite different hounds. When Salukis chase gazelles they run them down by exhausting them. There is no Saluki, in this country anyway, that can run anywhere near as fast as a gazelle. The Saluki can't just outsprint a gazelle as a cheetah does, but must somehow keep it in sight and exhaust it. For this, the Saluki needs a very efficient gait. It doesn't have to be a sprinter; it doesn't need to be able to turn in its own length at speed; it only has to be a good distance runner. If you want a Saluki for hares, you want an agile sprinter - a hound that can get up to the hare fast, with a long neck to reach out and catch it when it tries to escape by turning. Those are two very different looking dogs. If you look at the Salukis that have been imported from the Middle East you will see both of those types. That's why both of those types are there

Guest SKINNER

yes i got two

GEOFF i thought you said it was the ultimate sin to lamp hares so now are you saying that you do day and night and double numbers at that too? :hmm:

Guest joe ox
Not taking side's (i keep a collie x) but this vid kind of sums up the saluki's determination and stamina.

I didnt see anything special there a greyhound could of straight lined that in 30 secs or less not 1 minute 49 seconds!

This thread is titled "STAMINA" Have taken this little snippet from a seminar given by Dan Belkin Ph.D

Dan Belkin earned a Ph.D. in biology at the University of Florida in 1961. He was an evolutionary biologist specializing in physiological and ethological ecology, supported by a National Institutes of Health Career Research Fellowship at the University of Florida Medical School. He also taught respiration and nutrition in the physiology department. His interest in Salukis arose from his experience in falconry. He began flying hawks in 1947, and flew passage peregrines from 1956 to 1970. Dan has had a lifelong interest in predator/prey ethology. In 1971, he abandoned his scientific career in order to course Salukis full time, which he continued to do until 1985. He remained active by judging and otherwise watching Salukis. Dan married his wife, Laura, in 1961. They have had Salukis instead of children, and are responsible for the Bayt Shahin prefix

The quarry also dictates the type of Saluki you need. If you are coursing donkeys (which used to be done), Oryx, or other large antelope, you need quite a different dog than if you are coursing hares. Theoretically, if you want to build a hound with which to course gazelle, and also build a hound to course hares, you are going to end up with two quite different hounds. When Salukis chase gazelles they run them down by exhausting them. There is no Saluki, in this country anyway, that can run anywhere near as fast as a gazelle. The Saluki can't just outsprint a gazelle as a cheetah does, but must somehow keep it in sight and exhaust it. For this, the Saluki needs a very efficient gait. It doesn't have to be a sprinter; it doesn't need to be able to turn in its own length at speed; it only has to be a good distance runner. If you want a Saluki for hares, you want an agile sprinter - a hound that can get up to the hare fast, with a long neck to reach out and catch it when it tries to escape by turning. Those are two very different looking dogs. If you look at the Salukis that have been imported from the Middle East you will see both of those types. That's why both of those types are there

Although that proves my statement about a greyhound to be questionable. It also says in a round about way salukis are not all rounders. One type of saluki is not used for all the quarry it runs!

Edited by joe ox

Although that proves my statement wrong. It also says in a round about way salukis are not all rounders. One type of saluki is not used for all the quarry it runs!

Fair comment

Guest joe ox
if we are talking pure breeds what breed is an allrounder ???? what iam saying is the pure saluki will make a better allrounder than any other pure breed with the greyhound a very close second ....thats jmho :thumbs:

If thats your opinion you should be running a saluki x greyhound half x mate.