Wild boar

Guest newboy

having been lucky enough to get caught up in a french boar hunt on the way to a cleint a few years ago - (HAD A BREAKDOWN LOL)

they had a mixture of "basset" types and monster mastiff types... but they have to be smart dogs - not just rush and grip types!

we use lurcher type dogs in nz for wild pigs and they do a very good job although they tend to only bail the larger pigs so using a firearm would be advisable, unless you run a pair of hard holders. any more than four dogs on a boar means the chance of dog injury is greatly increased.

yeah they have a bad name in sheep country, when the pig numbers are high and tucker is short some become lamb killers due to them eating all the after births and dead lambs lying around some pigs learn to catch and kill young lambs and sick sheep. the wild pig is one of the best rabbiters alive once they learn how to dig them up. we once dragged a dead horse up to the bush line and it was all gone in a week, they like eating meat. the more rotten the better.

There is a lot of diffence between a aussie,kiwi or US pig and a Wild Boar which we have here in the UK :icon_eek: They are very very different cutomers.

I am sure it can be done, but dog's will get dragged by big boar around hill sides and thro hedges these fellas dont stop for no one they dont turn but go straight through, I know peoples dogs this has happened too :good: The largest shot one i have seen was 550lb beast.

IMO to hunt them successfully with dogs you need a pack of schooled dogs!! Or a rifle....and even then the shot must be placed correctly as i have seen shots ping off the bone plate on a boar head.

I would highly recommend that you DO NOT step into the woodland and try and bag a Wild Boar with dogs if you think your 'billy big bannanas' and have no understanding of the quarry and there ability to evade predators :no:

Leave em for the stalkers :yes:

wish we had quarry in the uk like that. sash thats wat I thought love the look o`f the Arabs. Kiwi I heard that the pitts can get a little hot headed when on the pig and have turned opn the other dogs and even there owners is this true?

yeah pat pits have been know to turn on their owner in the heat of battle and other dogs even after the pig is all dead and they are still fired up. to be honest i don't rate them as a pig dog but they are common as a cross breed and pure. and yes the wild pig is not a european boar reload. but after coming to new zealand in 1776 the pig soon breed itself back to it's wild ancester and thats what we have running around our bush today, in fact the young of our pigs are striped just like the wild boar and apart from size, although we do get them over 300lb they are still a formidable foe for any dog. i understand as well as wild hogs the yanks have russian boar and hunt them with dogs just like we do. if you guys have them running around in the uk just use ya greyhound x's can't think of a better dog to pull up them pigs. even the 500lb boars will sit down with a greyhound x chewing on his family jewels. :yes:

Kiwi your terrain is harder, but climate, i don't know about that. I think hunting in 40 degree heat is tougher on the dogs than the cold.

Some photos of the pigs i've got and some of my dogs.

scan0012.jpg

One of the pittys i've had. Never had any problems. Not a great hunting dog though.

scan0009.jpg

Me and a boar from North Queensland

scan0044.jpg

A young Bull Arab i own.

pics04036.jpg