Exact Pellet Sizes 5.51/ 5.52 Etc... How Do You Know?

Not a rant at all Skot, you make a fair point. Any variation in any aspect of shot to shot comparison will see greater difference in results the farther your shooting. That stands to reason, as is perhaps why a lot of shooters don't notice any difference, maybe they're only shooting to 30-40 yards.

Cheers,

Jim

I got two tins of superdomes and theres no head sizes on the tins.. Under or on on top....

Superdomes don't come in different head sizes but are awesome in my HW77!!

I've been in to several gun shops between Hampshire and Cornwall. 3 told me that the AA Fields only came in 5.5mm. It amazes me that some gun shops seem to treat airgun shooters as second class customers.

That's about right ref the gunships telling you that! That's why I boycotted my local gunshop because I ended up having an argument with the owner who was hell bent on telling me that all domed pellets are the same and make no difference to groupings!!!!! Bloody idiot! I think my willingness to not accept that angered him so much he wanted to chuck me out!

Never been back to that shop! I would rather support online traders over my local shop any day of the week!

To continue the rant, there are approximately 140,000 FAC holders in the UK, approx 581,000 SGC holders and about 4,500,000 air rifles.

If it averaged at 2 air guns a person and we were buying just 1 tin of AA field each, or similar a month, that would come to more than £28,000,000 a year on pellets alone. My point (and I know I have hijacked the thread a bit, sorry), is that with the decline in competition as shops go out of business, you'd think that even the less renowned ones would try and hold on to some of that business through a small bit of knowledge about their products!

You'd have to get a SGC holder to spend £50.00 p/m and an FAC holder to spend £200.00 a month on average to represent the same turn over. That's 350 cartridges a month roughly, month in, month out, each for shotgun owners. That's loads, as an average!!

We represent a massive spending power as a group and I think we should, in some shops, be treated individually and as a group with a tad more courtesy. We are far more likely to be spending money on Mods, after market products, clothes, scopes and other related things than other areas of shooting.

That said there are cracking shops out there as well, as we all know. It just bugs me that in some gun shops, as soon as you mention air rifle, they call out the cat to serve you, in the hope of the next customer wanting a pair of Purdey's and even the cat has an attitude!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Woodsman, was going to stop typing but caffeine took over! As already said, head size on the bottom of the tin!! Going for a lie down!

• Like 3

i see it one of two ways, first is if as a gunsmith they dont actualy know, they aint having my gun for sure, and it's fairly posable that they may see me every few years out of desperasion,

or 2... they are 'assuming' your a noddy to remove funds from.....................

theres a third that sums the first two, if your good enough and know you wouldnt be near the shop, or those going in are noddy fodder and are quite happy not knowing.

what ever its feckin insulting. i have to bite the preverbial tongue 9 times out of ten..... two of the shops i go in they just look worried at me when they sell out lol. i try not to say out but some times yu know...yu have to say summut.

the daystate bloke has some nosions on 'our behalfs' followed by a 'therefor'..a shame really some people need to grow up lolol.

Again in English please .....

Once you've mastered it, its far better than Sudoku.................... :laugh:

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Mawders you are right I had the same problem with my local shop tried aa domed and the logun penetrators the aa grouped far better than the logun but told me they are both domed and would work the same as I had the logun s16 he recommended the loguns he is very wrong they only seenm to care if your buy a shotgun or live rifle

You can buy sample tins of JSB Exact pellets in 4.50, 4.51, 4.52mm. Might be worth a try and cheaper than buying loads of tins, if you want to establish which head size works best for you.

Mind you, with my springer, different nominal head sizes on different pellets work differently. When my 97 was running at sub-12 fpe, it loved Weihrauch F&T Specials (4.51mm), but they were just slightly shaded by AA Diabolo Fields in 4.50.

It's now running at 13 fpe or so, and prefers JSB Exact Heavies in 4.52.

Go figure. :hmm: