D.day As It Happens

Malt, I've made a promise to myself to get down to Portsmouth and see the HMS Queen Elizabeth when she's ready and kitted out with F-35s. These may be Britians last true carriers and I don't want to miss it! At some point I will go and see one of these Type-45s too, they're amazing bits of kit. I did a weeks sonar course not long ago and there was a focus on Astute class SSNs and military hardware, got to see a few bits brought in by guest lecturers from various defence companys, those few bits managed to keep me awake between the relentless mathematics! LOL

GTE, I think part of the trouble we suffer is production numbers...... We produce such small quantities of these ships that the costs are high and we're gonna see 'teething problems'. For instance there is half a dozen Type-45s made by BAE where as the yanks equivalent Arleigh Burke class destroyers number over 60! Besides, these babies don't have to move very far to f**k up entire air forces! :laugh: That radar system is quite capable! :yes: And it has proven success as part of a carrier battle group.

Just reading up, they are on about putting a rail gun aboard one of those Arleigh Burke jobbies! :icon_eek:

That's another thing we're leading the way with - rail gun development.. :yes:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like an interesting documentary on Chanel 4 tomorrow night at 9 pm...   It will be interesting listening to the old men telling there story's.. Brave lads the lot of them. Same as our boys to

I genuinely believe that if we were faced with a situation like WW2 again things would be no different. We would fight and succeed because we wouldn't have a choice. The young lads of Britain are as k

Feck me listen to you lot,,,lol,, you have already started ww3,,,   Unlucky for me I'm 46,, so to old to be called up,,, of course I would have volunteered I could be in the home guard of course,,

Posted Images

What the fucks a rail gun,,,, in fact I honestly have no clue about most of the stuff you lot are on about,,, all these letters and numbers,,, are these types of fighters, that can take off from aircraft carriers?

What the fucks a rail gun,,,, in fact I honestly have no clue about most of the stuff you lot are on about,,, all these letters and numbers,,, are these types of fighters, that can take off from aircraft carriers?

A rail gun is an experimental electrical (electromagnetic) weapon that can fire a projectile with enough speed and accuracy to do the same damage as a cruise missile. Have you seen the Arnie film 'Eraser?' They use a fictional miniaturised version that can shoot through any number of walls to hit it's target. In reality they are fecking massive and require so much energy to fire that they are only suitable for mounting on a ship which is capable of generating massive amounts of electricity.

The f35 is the new plane the Yanks are developing with input from us to go on the new carriers we're building. They have stealth technology and vertical take of and landing capability. They are going to replace the Harriers that we pensioned off early.

Cheers for that malt,, yeh I seen that film.

So what comes out of this rail gun,,, is it a shel like a normal cannon round ,,, but it powered by electric,,,, or is the round/ shel ,,, somthing different,, more like in that film

Type 45 destroyer:

post-8371-0-19491000-1370432287.jpg

One of the most powerful warships ever built, capable of simultaneously tracking and engaging more airborne targets than 5 of the ships she was built to replace..

I know this is a D Day thread, but the question was asked earlier on if we could ever defend ourselves like we did in WW2. As things stand I reckon it's only the Yanks who could pose a serious threat to our sovereignty without the use of nukes in an old fashioned dust up, and even then they wouldn't do so without a bloody nose. We still lead the world in radar development and detection. When the Americans got cocky with their new B2 stealth bomber, they flew it over the south of us only to be locked onto by the Royal Navy! :laugh:

Cheers for that malt,, yeh I seen that film.

So what comes out of this rail gun,,, is it a shel like a normal cannon round ,,, but it powered by electric,,,, or is the round/ shel ,,, somthing different,, more like in that film

Just a solid metal projectile I think..

post-8371-0-47533100-1370432768.jpg

It's the extreme speed it travels at that does the damage.

Malts covered most of Your questions Tomo. I'll just add my bit.

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter will be the Royal Navys new carrier air wing. It's a state of the art next generation fighter that is sort of a smaller more versatile version of the Yanks F-22 Raptor that is the single most deadly fighter in the world today! They're the 'harriers' of the new carriers.

Type-45 destroyer is our new fleet of RN Destroyers. They are the single most advanced air defence destroyer in the world. Nothing even the yanks have can match it! The effectiveness has led to the yanks wanting them as part of their air defence system for Europe! The Chinese are putting a lot of research into ship killing missiles, ones big enough and advanced enough to sink Yank carriers! These ships can defend against such threats! They're f***ing amazing!

Type-26 is basically our future frigates. A versatile warship of the 21st century.

These will make up the RNs carrier battle groups and restore the RNs 'power projection' to what it should be.

The rail guns take a number of theoretical designs but I believe what is mainly being played with is a 'rod' that the projectile slides over. So rather than a bullet in a barrel, the bullet slides over the 'barrel'/rod as you can see in malts picture. Then a big ass electro magnet accelerates it down the 'barrel'. It has many potential applications (like launching satalites!) but in this case it's a future weapons system.

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter will be the Royal Navys new carrier air wing. It's a state of the art next generation fighter that is sort of a smaller more versatile version of the Yanks F-22 Raptor that is the single most deadly fighter in the world today! They're the 'harriers' of the new carriers.

That bold bit is true, but once the Typhoon steps inside the zone and goes toe to toe with it in a good old fashioned dogfight with cannons, things get a whole lot more interesting! :laugh: Read somewhere a while back that German Typhoons more than held their own in mock dogfights with the F22 when they encountered each other somewhere. :yes:

That bold bit is true, but once the Typhoon steps inside the zone and goes toe to toe with it in a good old fashioned dogfight with cannons, things get a whole lot more interesting! :laugh: Read somewhere a while back that German Typhoons more than held their own in mock dogfights with the F22 when they encountered each other somewhere. :yes:

I guess the argument would be, the F-22 wouldn't be seen untill it was too late with it's stealth capabilites but I have read the same with regards performance of the two aircraft. It'd be nice to see the results of some proper war games......

Thing is stealth only holds an advantage for a limited time until the opposition finds a way round it. :yes: As we've already discussed, we lead the way in radar development and I reckon something like a type 45 would already have the capability to track and engage an F22 raptor.

Thing is stealth only holds an advantage for a limited time until the opposition finds a way round it. :yes: Like I said earlier, we lead the way in radar development and I reckon something like a type 45 would already have the capability to track and engage an F22 raptor.

Yeah, as that very interesting article explained, stealth ain't all that! Either way, my point being our carrier airwing is based on arguably :D the most deadly fighter in the skies. As an air superiority fighter, we will have the choice of either RN F-35s or the RAF Typhoons (are the RAF having F-35 fighters or just F-35 ground attack?).

Oh for fucks sake,,,,boring,,,, I thought it was some sort of ray- gun,, like star treck or somthing,,, that's just like a big bolt for a cross bow....