Bore Snake = Rubbish? Or Is It Me?

I got one of these included when I bought my .17HMR, I recall the brand is Hoopes. I tried to use it yesterday and could not pull it through the bore as it got stuck - I am a fairly strong fella but I found it impossible and in the end gave up.

Anyone else had this problem or is this "operator error"? Maybe they gave me the wrong size snake.

My .22 snake is also ok. When the barrel is dirty, the snake does take a bit of effort to pull it through, although, not as much as your .17 obviosly does.

As already mentioned, check that you have the right snake for your calibre,

John :hmm:

I was "sold" a boresnake, used it once and decided it would do more damage than good.

In my not so humble opinion (I don't do humble anymore) the only way to clean the .17hmr (or for that matter .22) is with a good quality rod, jag, patch and a bore guide. You spend good money buying a finely crafted gun with incredibly fine rifling and then yank a bit of string with a brillo pad embedded in it through a couple of times and think that is good enough...........

My barrels are clean..... really clean...... and I do not have this nonsense about having to fire half a box of bullets before it shoots straight again.

I shoot, typically, 5 shots within an inch circle at 100 yards. Fire a couple of boxes at rabbits and targets over a few days, clean the barrel thoroughly and the first shot on the next outing will be just as accurate as it was before cleaning (ok, sometimes the second shot).

Only ever use one prior to cleaning. If it was going to do any damage by pulling crap through the barrel, then the bullet head would do way more as that travels a hell of a lot faster and is a way more tighter fit. I see it as a big boot lace with a bit of brush built in.

When I bought my CZ452 .17 (Dowlings, South Bucks), I asked about a cleaning kit and they recommended the bore snake. Mine is a Hoppes. The cord has a loop at the back end, I assume to pull it back through. I cut through this and the whole lot pulls through. It's tight, but not painfully so. I use a squirt of Bisley gun oil on the front brush, if I've shot over ten shots, or so. Mine fires spot on after cleaning. My first shot this week was a rabbit at 142 paces (130 yards +?) with 2 inch hold over for a chest shot, a 2 foot leap and a dead rabbit.

I got one of these included when I bought my .17HMR, I recall the brand is Hoopes. I tried to use it yesterday and could not pull it through the bore as it got stuck - I am a fairly strong fella but I found it impossible and in the end gave up.

Anyone else had this problem or is this "operator error"? Maybe they gave me the wrong size snake.

I had the exact thing happen many moons ago, i hate these with a passion. Mine snapped half way through the bore.

The only thing they will achieve is to remove some loose fouling, that is it. Get a good quality - rod, jag, patches, brush & a bottle of Shooters Choice

When I bought my CZ452 .17 (Dowlings, South Bucks), I asked about a cleaning kit and they recommended the bore snake. Mine is a Hoppes. The cord has a loop at the back end, I assume to pull it back through. I cut through this and the whole lot pulls through. It's tight, but not painfully so. I use a squirt of Bisley gun oil on the front brush, if I've shot over ten shots, or so. Mine fires spot on after cleaning. My first shot this week was a rabbit at 142 paces (130 yards +?) with 2 inch hold over for a chest shot, a 2 foot leap and a dead rabbit.

:thumbs::laugh::thumbs:

Makes you wonder why they went bust, or was it because of the stale cigarette smoke smell in the whole place, or the fact they simply didn't know what they were on about and tried to offload whatever they had! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

...but, on the plus side, I had a few cups of tea out of them :laugh::thumbs: