Rightly or wrongly,theres a pair of Beagle x Welsh 8 month old on Preloved of all places if this helps anybody 100 apiece.

:D That's a nice gesture but It's fox hounds he's after. i'll eat may hat if they are what they say they are.

• Like 2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well here's my penny's worth..   I worked for a pack in Scotland that used about 12 1/2 couple of foxhounds to do fox control days on shooting estates, gun numbers varied between 6 & 60 dependi

you do not use fox hounds for fox drives for a start,...............when they take a line they could end up miles away on other land...........and secondly this is the exact reason there not readily a

going to watch a pack hunt is completely different to hunting hounds yourself . you've got your mind made up by the sounds of things so i'm not trying to discourage you only state the facts for anyone

A couple of good hounds in a fox driving pack is a good thing if they have been bred right, here in Australia there is some decent stuff that is hot nosed, independant and biddable.

Mine wont go more than a km on a fox that the shooters have missed before he comes back and looks for another, l can call him off anything if he is within earshot or a vibrate on the correction collar will stop him and bring him back into the cover but as a rule he will do it himself as that was how he was taught.

Last season was a good one here and he would help push out up to 40 foxes on a days hunt, 15-20 of them directly from him casting out finding a scent then pushing to the sitters or a stag catching it that is working off him, after a bit of a scruff he would go and find another.

Its like anything you write down your desired traits and breed and cull heavy untill you have what suites your style of hunting.

40 foxes risen in a day? thats a hell of a lot

Yeah mate last year was a exceptional season, the year prior to that the bitches bred big litters of up to 7-8 and most survived due to a heap of food being available, the quail were thick on the ground the crickets were thick and we had plenty of locust plauges.

This year 10-15 is a good number for a satdy hunt with maybe the same amount being missed for various reasons, its not like that right through out Australia but more in the southern states.

lts also why good hard terriers arn,t so popular down here, back in the seventys when skins were worth $30-$40 each why would you spend all day digging one fox when you can bolt out 5-10 with a good small yappy terrier that didnt cop to much abuse.