Bedlington Terrier

each to their own, wouldn't be much of a forum if we all agree, i own both, i find the cocker a pleasure to work with, his job is to flush to the lurchers not catch himself and i find bedlingtons hunting free to be a pain in the arse regardless of the time put into them but like i say, each to their own, what i do suits me. best of luck with your bitch baldocks, hope she works out for you.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a sweeping comment!   I don't know any serious bushing people who use cockers for bushing but a lot who use small terriers that kill heaps more rabbits in a bramble than a cocker would.   I

i don't get it myself, there's better options for bushing than a bedlington, they tend to hunt to far in front, they're famed for going deaf on a line, so trying to get them in can be a nightmare, you

i'm sure theres some out there mate but few and far between i would say but i keep myself to myself so don't really know. i was lucky 20 odd years ago to start with a good one but they're harder to ge

i'm sure theres some out there mate but few and far between i would say but i keep myself to myself so don't really know. i was lucky 20 odd years ago to start with a good one but they're harder to get now which tells a story in its self. its the undocked fell type, as you describe them :) i would prefer, i had a pure gutchcommon dog for a while back then, nice size but a good breeze would've blow him over.

3th generation dog i bred myself a long time ago,

2v1qecm.jpg

half lakeland bitch i have now but i wouldn't call her a bedlington

2lo0rvn.jpg

r0xi11.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not saying they can't bush, my bitch bushes and hunts as good as any dog I've seen but everywhere I go there bambis which are pain in ass, if she gets on there scent it's a sit and wait job. She's good as gold when close but when on strong scent she's deaf. She is for earth work but doesn't dropped to ground when I don't want her to, I put plenty time into her when young. I respect her for how all she wants to do is hunt and never gives up but has me pulling my hair out very often

if you want to waste a good walk get a beddy,i have spent meny a hour waiting,shouting,whistling with a empty dog lead in my hand,ive found them totally deaf when on a scent

Spent many an hour up on the mountain looking for mine, for them to turn up 24hrs later. No more for me, too old for that game now.

• Like 1

I have been looking for a beddy for past yr or 2 for a bit of mooching & odd dig, found proper working ones very hard to come by and a lot of over priced show/kc shite flying about.. Been reading what you lads have to say and as a mooching dog they don't sound too good, is this really the case or the odd one?

I have been looking for a beddy for past yr or 2 for a bit of mooching & odd dig, found proper working ones very hard to come by and a lot of over priced show/kc shite flying about.. Been reading what you lads have to say and as a mooching dog they don't sound too good, is this really the case or the odd one?

Ive owned about 7 or 8 Beddy,s,one out of them was an ignorant liability and a loss in waiting,he,s now a pet,the rest have earnt or are earning their keep.Throw them in a kennel and take them out on the odd weekend and you will have a problem,graft them regular and hard and they soon settle into a stable pattern of work and recall,well the ones ive persevered with have.

• Like 1

Ive owned about 7 or 8 Beddy,s,one out of them was an ignorant liability and a loss in waiting,he,s now a pet,the rest have earnt or are earning their keep.Throw them in a kennel and take them out on the odd weekend and you will have a problem,graft them regular and hard and they soon settle into a stable pattern of work and recall,well the ones ive persevered with have.

Fair enough, Problem is finding the work for them round here lol. Can go out on a 3 hour walk and put up loads of pheasant and bambi which am not interested in, I wanted one as a mooching dog and for the odd dig when mr fox was about. Most people iv'e talked to have said I am wasting my time & to get a Patterdale, Too common for my liking and the Beddy catches my eye,