Extra Range For Fac Rapid 7

Hi guys, can i just say from the start that i am an FAC holder and don't require any legal advice (i've spoke to my local Firearms dept) just some advice from someone with experience in such matters...

I've just aquired a highly customised Rapid 7 in 22. I've got a feeling the previous owner has played with the power as in the slip was what looks like a kit (various springs, o rings and what looks like a valve stem) to increase the power. I don't want to fire the gun through a chrono just yet as i've no idea if its been put back together correctly.

Basically my question is this... It seems quite common for FAC holders to run the rapid 7 at 20-25 ft/lb what kind of advantage does this offer? Is the range dramatically increased?

I zero in my current sub 12 air rifles at about 40yrds and use them to hunt anything up to 50yrds, i use a rimfire for anything beyond that. is this gun running at say 20ft/lb going to offer me an alternative to my rimfire?

I want to use the gun asap so do i ask my gunsmith to get her up to FAC and add it to my ticket or save myself the myther and get it done to sub 12?

Also.... If anyone is familiar with the gun and the kit that came with it, could you please PM me so i can at least feel safe letting a few shots off with it.

many thanks guys.

I think the barrel rifling is different on an FAC to a sub 12, try using the guns ID number to see if it is a sub 12 or not, it may have just had new seals put into it, which would explain the spares in the gun slip :thumbs:

Hi chaps, After some very helpful PMs from donnyc i got the gun working at a consistant 25 ft/lb. i was able to hit targets at around 70yrds but looking at chairgun (great bit of kit i had no idea about!) and then shooting targets at closer ranges, i think the trajectory was more like an artillery shell than a rifle round!! and i could probably do the same with a sub 12 if i'm going to use 16inches of holdover! so i've decided to get her into the gunsmiths and get it down to sub 12 and sell her on,

a couple of things shocked me during this process.... the main one being how easy it was to adjust the power so much! (crazy when no licence is needed to buy it!) and the second being how little difference it made to the range of the 22 round. from what i can see on chairgun you'd need a whole lot more power to increase the usable range of a 22, which is imo the only reason to increase the power as i've never found that pellets exactly bounce off my quarry when using air rifles due to a lack of power at sub 12. so i've got no plans to add any FAC powered air rifles to my collection any time soon.

Ghillies, thanks for the PM. yes mate i know the power from a rimfire is far higher but i thought that the lighter round might help get the range to something like the same.

Its been interesting this and i've learn't a lot. thanks for the help guys.

yes mate i did.... i figure if im ever going to up a air rifle to fac it would be a 177.... looking at chairgun, i think the flatter trajectory of a 177 far out weighs any extra 'stopping power' you get from 22. i knew i prefered 177 for a reason ;)

go .20 best of both worlds :D

yes mate i did.... i figure if im ever going to up a air rifle to fac it would be a 177.... looking at chairgun, i think the flatter trajectory of a 177 far out weighs any extra 'stopping power' you get from 22. i knew i prefered 177 for a reason ;)

hmm about a half inch to three quarts an inch from 13-15 yards out to 60 yard...with the right pellet in, yu dont need the extra from a .22 lol. suttlety prevails :victory:

bare in mind though, as you get used to stuff, a heavey pellet carries a lot further..and holds a bit better (in fac turms..).

I was thinking that! but if thats the case why do so few companys produce a .20?? I'm searching guntrader as we speak for a .20 to play with.

hmm about a half inch to three quarts an inch from 13-15 yards out to 60 yard...with the right pellet in, yu dont need the extra from a .22 lol. suttlety prevails :victory:

bare in mind though, as you get used to stuff, a heavey pellet carries a lot further..and holds a bit better (in fac turms..).

I would worry about how a little .177 would behave with 30+ft/lb of power behind it.... but i'm now of the firm opinion that its the best calibre for sub 12.

I would worry about how a little .177 would behave with 30+ft/lb of power behind it.... but i'm now of the firm opinion that its the best calibre for sub 12.

i think at 30fps it would be aproaching the second sonic barrier with an 8.4 grain pellet..

a little less would mean more shots per fill of course, with a lighter pellet.. its the tragectry advantage over the sheer weight of a 20 plus grain pellet making the sub sonic 30fp.

as always, shot placement first..

Edited by ghillies

I was thinking that! but if thats the case why do so few companys produce a .20?? I'm searching guntrader as we speak for a .20 to play with.

plenty make .20 cal but mainly for the american market :thumbs:http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Rifles-for-sale/Gun-Search.aspx?newSearch=1

i think at 30fps it would be aproaching the second sonic barrier with an 8.4 grain pellet..

a little less would mean more shots per fill of course, with a lighter pellet.. its the tragectry advantage over the sheer weight of a 20 plus grain pellet making the sub sonic 30fp.

as always, shot placement first..

With a pellet so light at that pressure the pellet would most likley tumble beyond 30 yds and would be as accurate as a boomerang.