Still Cant Catch Rabbits

Well I'm gonna give ya a different answer fella. Take him for walks and let him be a pup. If a rabbit jumps up and he runs it so be it. Aint gonna hurt a damn thing. I let my pups start goin with the old dogs as soon as they decide to jump in the back of the truck. If its 5 months old then so be it. Do they get bit at times. Yep they sure as hell do. And the good ones even at 6 months old will get madder than hell once they get loose. The other ones, well I just dont care too much bout them.

Well I'm gonna give ya a different answer fella. Take him for walks and let him be a pup. If a rabbit jumps up and he runs it so be it. Aint gonna hurt a damn thing. I let my pups start goin with the old dogs as soon as they decide to jump in the back of the truck. If its 5 months old then so be it. Do they get bit at times. Yep they sure as hell do. And the good ones even at 6 months old will get madder than hell once they get loose. The other ones, well I just dont care too much bout them.

I agree with you if you're running a few dogs together dan, the pup still sees a catch at the end of it even if he was off the pace and didnt contribute. A dog running on its own with an unexperieced handler, at that age, may decide it cant catch rabbits a after a few failed attempts. Long after it is physically able, mentally the dog thinks its a lost cause and this manifests in the dog jacking or just being indifferent to chase at all. Will pick up on the young handler's lack of confidence too, making everything that bit worse. Much easier when you've an older experienced dog for the pup to observe, can even then provide 'droppers' for the pup to build its confidence. Just my thoughts mate atb.

heres what i did, ran mine to young, got it over keen, it learnt where the rabbits where itself, started hunting up, which effected its obdience it was more arsed about sniffing out rabbits or running the spots than me, ill never go that way about it again

spend a year with that pup or the next 6months getting it just obsessed with you and your commands then you show it the bunnies and you introduce it but have the obdience driller into that dogs mind, dont know if people will agree but you get my point

hi ave got a 6 in a hath month old sal/grey hes good at marking hols and picking them up from nets but if one slips he just cant keap up is this normal as am new to the sport eny advice will help thanks dayle

just keep up what your doing let the dog mark a set net up then id keep dog on the slip and slip on neted rabs dog shud pin them for you lots of prayes [BANNED TEXT] dog pins 1 then i will take the rab nek it put me dog back on slip and put the rab where dog can see it and try get dog to ignoor dead rab and look for the next bolt /pissis me off [BANNED TEXT] a dog misis a bolt [BANNED TEXT] sniff in a dead rab / and may be sum ball work to inprove the dogs strike

I love THL.

Man asks a question . . . . . and gets a sensible answer or two.

Then gets the same answer another 42 times :laugh:

Exactly....all he did was ask a question, he got a sensible answer or two, and then gets the same answer another 42 times!

:D

heres what i did, ran mine to young, got it over keen, it learnt where the rabbits where itself, started hunting up, which effected its obdience it was more arsed about sniffing out rabbits or running the spots than me, ill never go that way about it again

spend a year with that pup or the next 6months getting it just obsessed with you and your commands then you show it the bunnies and you introduce it but have the obdience driller into that dogs mind, dont know if people will agree but you get my point

depends what you're doing IMO, can't think of anything worse than mooching about during the day with a dog that will only do what you tell it to do. I've got a decent balance with my dog, she'll do what's expected when lamping, and will follow instructions (when needed) when ferreting, but will hunt up when mooching during the day. I could take mine out mooching now and can honestly say we could be out for 2 hours plus and I wouldn't need to open my mouth. They're better at finding prey than us, so a dog that constantly waits for instructions would just be a pain in the ass.

• Like 2

At 6and a half month the dog hasnt no where near developed proply imo you will ruin the dog i hav a pup nearly 11month shes only seen a few ran by the big dogs but with the season over ill be holding her back till next season and focus on every bit training needed during the summer ive heard some one say on here before seen many dogs spoilt starting too early but not many spoilt starting later i agree with that

I agree with you if you're running a few dogs together dan, the pup still sees a catch at the end of it even if he was off the pace and didnt contribute. A dog running on its own with an unexperieced handler, at that age, may decide it cant catch rabbits a after a few failed attempts. Long after it is physically able, mentally the dog thinks its a lost cause and this manifests in the dog jacking or just being indifferent to chase at all. Will pick up on the young handler's lack of confidence too, making everything that bit worse. Much easier when you've an older experienced dog for the pup to observe, can even then provide 'droppers' for the pup to build its confidence. Just my thoughts mate atb.

Ya for sure and thats why I said just let it be a pup. If once in awhile a rabbit jumps up in front of it then so be it. If it quits on ya the sumbitch was gonna quit someday anyhow. But there is a difference tween runnin a pup by itself and running with two older dogs that know whats goin down. But think bout this. If these dogs aint quit after gettin crunched across the muzzle then a pup should never quit after missing a half dozen rabbits or so when growing up. Overall though I totally agree with you.

hi ave got a 6 in a hath month old sal/grey hes good at marking hols and picking them up from nets but if one slips he just cant keap up is this normal as am new to the sport eny advice will help thanks dayle

Best thing to do would get it onto Baws island....f***ing hundreds of them there with no where to go, like shooting fish in a barrel.. :thumbs:

Imo keep taking the pup out and educating it just make sure you keep it winning. Running stuff it can't catch aint gonna do anything good for it. Carefully chosen ferreting etc will imo do it the world of good. The odd f**k up happens...

• Like 2

I love THL.

Man asks a question . . . . . and gets a sensible answer or two.

Then gets the same answer another 42 times :laugh:

:laugh: I know, I was just gonna say, it's a saluki, what do you expect :laugh:

Best thing to do would get it onto Baws island....f*****g hundreds of them there with no where to go, like shooting fish in a barrel.. :thumbs:

:laugh: its too fkn slow mate :D

depends what you're doing IMO, can't think of anything worse than mooching about during the day with a dog that will only do what you tell it to do. I've got a decent balance with my dog, she'll do what's expected when lamping, and will follow instructions (when needed) when ferreting, but will hunt up when mooching during the day. I could take mine out mooching now and can honestly say we could be out for 2 hours plus and I wouldn't need to open my mouth. They're better at finding prey than us, so a dog that constantly waits for instructions would just be a pain in the ass.

No not a robot, just so the dogs intune with you when hunting so you still have the command overit whilst its out, you get me? mine was to excited to do its own thing..