pretty much as the title says , over the years iv tried to grow (with some sucess ) cabbage/ sprouts/ ect , but what do others use to keep aphids/catterpillars a bay ?ive tried soapy water ,various organic sprays ,i was also advised to chop the end (the green leaf bit)of rhubarb and let it rot down in a filled water butt and water greens with this ,and it worked pretty well .

has any body any suggestions ? or can recomend any product ?

im toying with growing some greyhound summer cabbage ,but i want to be prepaired .

many thanks.........jim

Netting is by far the most effective in my opinion,one other method we swear by is fill a watering can up with water and bicarbonate soda,with a splash of washing up,the liquid makes the bi-carb stick to the leaves,the pigeon hate it,slugs won't touch it and caterpillars detest it,obviously re apply after heavy rain,I didn't beleive it would work but after a few years testing it does,failing that lady bug kills most things,

Atb

• Like 1

Agree with 223, netting the most effective method.

This year I'm growing Nasturtiums nearby to act as a 'sacrificial' plant, hopefully drawing the Cabbage White away from my cabbages.

Like the sound of the bi-carb trick, 223 :thumbs:

I think the fleece or fine netting is the best option. I usually leave one or two cabbage unprotected to attract the pests, giving them the easier option just in case they find some little way to get into my protected crop.Believe it or not every year them couple of cabbage get invested but due to all the pests being concentrated on these couple of cabbage its easy pickings for birds and predators and they completly clean them out.

• 3 weeks later...

I use scaffold (debris) netting which is available cheaply off auction sites, or if you know anyone in the trade (or just ask if you see a scaffold being taken down - I believe they can only be used on-site a few times before being replaced).

The holes on it are about 3mm; I read that up to 7mm will keep the cabbage whites off.

That and cheap washing up liquid in the water works pretty well. I'm growing Greyhound cabbage too.

Supported with poles and beer bottles: http://sdrv.ms/16M0BL5

Fleece rips in the wind, ive got raised beds up my allotment all the same size, and i knocked up some frames that can be moved to which ever bed i need then for, i cover the sides in scaffold netting and the top in butterfly netting, its works a treat and ive been catipillar free for the last 2 years. scaffold netting is also good to cover caroots to keep the fly off.

atb Paul

Agree with 223, netting the most effective method.

This year I'm growing Nasturtiums nearby to act as a 'sacrificial' plant, hopefully drawing the Cabbage White away from my cabbages.

Like the sound of the bi-carb trick, 223 :thumbs:

A bit like the 'wasps cake' at a picnic...

About 4.30 in, but all his rants are amusing :)