Pup Drooling When In Car, Any Cures ?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a good 20-30 mins before the journey, or it won't have time to be absorbed into body. If the dog won't eat the ginger biscuits, you can buy ginger capsules really cheaply from Holland and Barratt - gi

It'll take time I have an 11 month old alaunt bitch here who couldn't travel more than a mile or two when she was a pup without getting stressed and slobbering and even being sick...short and often is

If you stop the journey before they start dribbling and getting stressed, they have a "good experience" - repeat that, and you will be able to extend the journey. Each time they get stressed and dribb

ginger biscuits, and short journeys - drive til she looks like she is uncomfortable, then stop - reinforce good behaviour.

I've heard about the ginger biscuit thing before, I will give that a try, how long before going in the car do you give it ?

a good 20-30 mins before the journey, or it won't have time to be absorbed into body. If the dog won't eat the ginger biscuits, you can buy ginger capsules really cheaply from Holland and Barratt - give a capsule 30 mins before travel.

• Like 3

Try to take the dog on regular short drives out. When you get to your destination, do something fun like go for a walk or have a run around. After this the dog will associate going in a car with fun and won't be nervous in the car.

It worked with me :thumbs:

ATB

Sam

ginger biscuits, and short journeys - drive til she looks like she is uncomfortable, then stop - reinforce good behaviour.

I've heard about the ginger biscuit thing before, I will give that a try, how long before going in the car do you give it ?
a good 20-30 mins before the journey, or it won't have time to be absorbed into body. If the dog won't eat the ginger biscuits, you can buy ginger capsules really cheaply from Holland and Barratt - give a capsule 30 mins before travel.
thanks for info, hope it works, surely the slobbering cant go on for ever, hope she is out of it by 10 or 11 months old

I've a bitch that when you put her in the car she won't stop panting and gets hot her heart feals like its beating out of her chest even in the winter with the widows down she's the same and it's lie fens far says its travelling times I've got about 3 hours till I'm where I want to be and she looks fcuked before we get there lol

thanks for info, hope it works, surely the slobbering cant go on for ever, hope she is out of it by 10 or 11 months old

I hope so too. Be "matter of fact" about it, put in car, no fuss, no dramatics, no "there there there sweetie xx" even if she has not dribbled - just do it ( I know, I sound all Yoda and stuff, but it works ! ) Short journeys, no fuss, and she will learn it is nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Try to take the dog on regular short drives out. When you get to your destination, do something fun like go for a walk or have a run around. After this the dog will associate going in a car with fun and won't be nervous in the car.

ATB

Sam

cheers, that's what I've been doing, just a 5 or 10 min drive then out for a good walk, but its already started by then, and go a longer route on the way back to try and get her use to it in car but other dogs covered in slobber by time I get back, she get better in time I hope

Mate had one the same he had a pal that owned a security firm he gave the dog to him for 2 weeks, and it lived in the van for 2 week solid only coming out for a shit and a piss, did the trick for him and his dog was really bad traveller, you will never get anything out of a dog that has bad travel sickness

• Like 1

ATB

Sam

cheers, that's what I've been doing, just a 5 or 10 min drive then out for a good walk, but its already started by then, and go a longer route on the way back to try and get her use to it in car but other dogs covered in slobber by time I get back, she get better in time I hope

Have you got other dogs or know anyone with dogs that are good in the car? If so then try doing the same with the other dog(s) for reassurance

ATB

Sam

Have you got other dogs or know anyone with dogs that are good in the car? If so then try doing the same with the other dog(s) for reassurance
yea she always in with other dogs

My youngster is the same ... It's a mental thing with mine as she starts drooling as soon as she gets in the truck ... Not moving engine off ... And she won't go near the truck on her own accord ... I am slowly but surely getting her accustomed to it day by day but it does take time ........

• Like 1

ATB

Sam

yea she always in with other dogs

I'm out then :laugh: Good luck though mate.

Be interesting to see what others suggest :thumbs:

ATB

Sam