Hi All,

I've recently build kennels in my back garden because 5 dogs in the house was getting to much with 4 kids too, all the dogs are brill in them except Binx (racing bred whippet) he howls/whines non stop and just won't settle no matter what I do, he's not on his own he shares with Zak (grew, which he has a bond with most) and the 3 girls are in the other one right next to the boys,

the kennels are roomy and the runs are very spacious too, they have been in them for 1 month now and Binx is still a nightmare, and the people next door are complaining now, they have loads of toys to play with and go out twice a day for a walk, I've tryed brining Binx back into the house but he still howls and it's driving me MAD!

these are the things I've tried so far, telling him to shut up, spraying him with a water gun, giving him raw bones, pigs ears etc, ignoring him, taking him for 2 massive 4 hour walks to tire him out over 4 days, making a loud noise every time he starts, (which is every ten mins 24/7), bringing him and Zak back indoors, and now I'm out of idea's and slowly going out of my mind!!! :angry:

it's all night too, anyone got any other suggestions please!

and I know he's been in the house since a puppy but so have the rest and I've not heard them once, it's just Binx :censored: I don't want to re-home him but if I get an offical complaint I'll have to look into it :(

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, trying a DAP spray may work (Dog Appeasing Pheremone) available on-line from pet shops, it comes in a spray form to be used on bedding or as a plug-in..the spray is better in my opinion..its great stuff for calming dogs down and chilling them out..it is basically the scent that a mother gives her pups when they are very young.

thanks for the advise everyone,

he's 2 and 1/2 years old, castrated, no bitches on heat, will go and get some DAP spray see if that works, not to keen on the inhibitor collars though, but if it comes to it I'll try it, I'll try anything at the moment!

will the collars work even though he's not barking? just whining and howling?

keep the advise coming though please :thumbs:

Tina, a lot of people don't like the "thought" of bark inhibitors, but would you use one or risk loosing your dog? The collars work on vibration from the vocal chords, howling would trigger a correction the same as barking, some collars allow whining but if its loud then the the vibration usually triggers a correction. Have a look on the dogtra website and invest £60 odd quid on a colar that wil stop your problem the day it arrives. You could also purchase a dummy collar, dogs aren't stupid and soon learn not to bark when the collar is on, you can then switch to a dummy collar. Don't be tempted as so many people are to purchase the citronella spray collars thinking they are more humane, what is more humane, a quick correction or citrus sprayed directly into your primary sense?

i once had a terrier that would not settle in kennels i tried every thing even them bark control collars no effect so for the last straw i borrowed one of theem electric collars that you trigger yourself two sleepless nights later and i never heard a sound again unless he was to ground and he was a very head strong terrier that always got his own way if it worked for him it will work for any imo. :thumbs:

well just an update, the DAP spray hasn't worked, but it's only been since Friday I've been trying it, I think I'll have to invest in one of them collars tommorow and see how we go with that,

Molly, yeah he's had a full M.O.T 3 weeks ago when he went for his nails trimmed (I can do all the rest my self but Binx is such a baby) vet's said he's very healthy, and at the time said that he would get used to being in the kennels and settle down, how wrong were they!

lets hope this collar will do the job, before I get evicted for his constant howling!

Guest bitsa lurcher

i've used one of those anti bark collors , and in my opinion i would say they do what it says on the box .....stops the dog barking ........also tried it on a terrier that kept whinning and it shut him up to .........well worth £60

Just ordered the collar, it should be here by Wednesday, I'm praying it works!

Thanks Molly, need all the luck I can get,

Thanks to everyone else too who's helped with this, I'll let you know how we get on :thumbs: