what running dog should i get

hi

i have 2 terriers borders that i use for bushing for my mates dog.

but now thinking of getting a small running dog my self i dont no alot about running dogs

i like the luguna whippets would they work ok with terriers wanting a dog fast of the mark?

Edited by gun smoke

hi

i have 2 terriers borders that i use for bushing for my mates dog.

but now thinking of getting a small running dog my self i dont no alot about running dogs

i like the luguna whippets would they work ok with terriers wanting a dog fast of the mark?

beddy x whippet

Iv got a collie x whippet and she works well with my mates terrier wil trashing.

i recon the collie x whippet or the beddy x whippet seein them work as well but the chose is yours. let me know wat you get.

hi

thanks for the replys it will be my first running dog. for rabbits to work with my

terriers and with my mates dog.a dog has popped up have not seen it yet so i dont no what it will (puppys)

be like its a saluke x greyhound x whippet back to a pure whippet both parents are working dogs

anyone have any ideas what this dog should be like? need a dog fast off the mark.

As long as it isn't a great hulking monster I don't think size really matters. Intelligence and experience is fare more valuable than out and out pace in a rabbit dog . One of the best rabbit dogs I had was a shade under 26' tts. She developed great skill at snatching up rabbits flushed by my terrier. She learned how to position herself in the right place to make a goalkeeper style snatch rather than using her pace. Which she had aplenty I might add.

Understanding is key, working as a team over time and gaining experience will catch you more rabbits than simply running a dog with a bit of pace every now and then.

So although I like my beardie x's for the rabbit work I do, I don't think that it really matters what you plump for as long as it has a reasonable level of intelligence and you give it plenty of opportunity to develop it's skills.

All the best with what ever you end up with mate. :thumbs:

Thank God for a sane Magpie , reasoned and experienced answer at last! I could see this thread degenerating into the usual slaging match of the 'my sort's better than your's' type of thing.

I'd agree 100% with Magpie: brains every time and no matter what size or shape the dog it will learn how best to work with the terriers: I've had lurchers from 22" to 30" catch rabbits REGULARLY out bushing with terriers, though of course I'd have to admit that the dogs under 25" have more of what it takes in tight situations.

right then if you want a small dog that will work the cover and is fast off the mark there aint anything quicker than a whippet no matter what anyone tells you i should know we run a laguna whippet and he is lightning of the mark he is 4 yrs old now a bitch whippet would be smaller and lighter so would be off quicker but the male dog has it for me also the laguna has plenty of stamina and will work easily with the terriers we have two borders aswell however they can be a bit headstrong so getting them back can sometimes be a pain in the arse because they hunt on, anyway good luck with your choice

right then if you want a small dog that will work the cover and is fast off the mark there aint anything quicker than a whippet no matter what anyone tells you i should know we run a laguna whippet and he is lightning of the mark he is 4 yrs old now a bitch whippet would be smaller and lighter so would be off quicker but the male dog has it for me also the laguna has plenty of stamina and will work easily with the terriers we have two borders aswell however they can be a bit headstrong so getting them back can sometimes be a pain in the arse because they hunt on, anyway good luck with your choice

whipet x greyhound does the job for me a bit easier for her when the foxes bolt