QUESTION FOR THE RAW FEEDERS ?

Right heres one for all you 100% raw feeders.............. does everybody that believes that 100% raw is the only sutible diet for the ferrets believe that working dogs should be fed the same ie no dry meal ? not directed at the raw and dry feeders more for the hardcore raw feeders,i ask this out of curiosity :hmm: as i respect everybodies opinion on feeding their own animals :thumbs: oh and if you dont have a dog but you did would you feed them the same ?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a good point actually, I feed my ferrets as much raw as possible and only use dry food in an absolute emergency :yes: But I feed my dogs dry food and never raw. All the people Ive spoken to about what food is best have always said RAW food for ferrets and to be honest Ive just done what they said - mainly because I havent had ferrets very long and wanted to learn from experienced ferreters. Yet dry dog food seems to be more acceptable :hmm::hmm: This will be an interesting thread I think :yes:

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Right heres one for all you 100% raw feeders.............. does everybody that believes that 100% raw is the only suitable diet for the ferrets believe that working dogs should be fed the same ie no dry meal ?

Speaking for myself? Yes, mate. 100% catagorically :yes:

yes i feed my dogs, cats and ferrets raw the dogs also get veg and all the leftovers from our dinner one of my cats has his minced as when we got him he had to have all but two of his teeth removed i believe this was because the woman the cats protection league took him from feed them nothing but tined supameat (the stuff looks like pate) so they went almost unused and rotted in his mouth ! :D

A big :thumbs: for everybody who sticks to their guns on the raw feeding with their ferrets and THEIR DOGS but wouldn't it be a tad hypacritical of someone to preach about raw feeding and put down the dry feeders of ferrets if they were to only turn round and admit that they feed their dogs on (this work of the devil ) dry feed ? :whistling::whistling:

I dont have dogs at the moment, although I was brought up with lurchers and collies, so Im not going to comment on that one.

But I can agree with the general point gaz has made in this post and in a couple of other related posts recently. People on this forum seem to go a bit high and mighty (probably myself included inadvertantly) and I can imagine it makes people who feed dry food feel bad about it. But some people dont have the oppurtunity to feed raw food especially not the year round, does give them any less of a right to keep ferrets?

I feed my ferrets almost exclusively on raw but I always have a bit of dry as a backup. Went over a year without needing dry until I bred kits this summer when I used it for 2 reasons, because I was struggling to keep up, and to make sure they could eat it in case their new owners fed raw. Since then I have also fed it a couple more times, does that make me a bad ferret owner?

Just some food for thought not wanting to provoke an argument :)

as i have said before hat you feed your own ferrets and dogs is your decision but you can not argue that as carnivores they were designed to eat meat i agree it is more time consuming and in the summer hard to get hold of enough raw meat for some. but there are means and ways i have a deal with my butcher he saves all the waste (chicken carcases necks lamb beef liver kidney etc for me about a black bag a week) this is enough to feed my four dogs and four ferrets two cats and any rescue ferrets i have in at the time in the winter i send a few bunnies a week his way everyones a winner ! and if i didn't have this deal with the butcher i would by from the supermarket.

and if i didn't have this deal with the butcher i would by from the supermarket.

Yep spent a fortune on chicken wings etc too. I want whats best for my ferrets but the odd dry meal is not going to harm. I know someone who keeps ferrets as pets only and they get fed on nothing but dry with the odd egg, and live long and happy lives. Not my way of doing it but to each his own.

Interesting that you mention cats as Ive often wondered if the people who feed their ferrets and dogs on a barf diet feed there cats the same, it would seem some of you do :notworthy::thumbs:

yes i feed my dogs, cats and ferrets raw the dogs also get veg and all the leftovers from our dinner one of my cats has his minced as when we got him he had to have all but two of his teeth removed i believe this was because the woman the cats protection league took him from feed them nothing but tined supameat (the stuff looks like pate) so they went almost unused and rotted in his mouth ! :D

The original question was do you exclusively feed raw and in the above post you imply you do...

But what about the fact that you feed your dogs on supa greyhound as well and they look bloody good on it?

hi feed mine on supa greyhound and rabbit and they look bloody good even if i do say so my self! people are always commenting on there shiny coats and mussle condition

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...15&start=15

If your dogs look so good on it why have you stopped feeding it?

And whats so wrong therefore with the odd dry ferret food meal?

Just wondering :whistling:

The original question was do you exclusively feed raw and in the above post you imply you do...

But what about the fact that you feed your dogs on supa greyhound as well and they look bloody good on it?

hi feed mine on supa greyhound and rabbit and they look bloody good even if i do say so my self! people are always commenting on there shiny coats and mussle condition

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...15&start=15

If your dogs look so good on it why have you stopped feeding it?

And whats so wrong therefore with the odd dry ferret food meal?

Just wondering :whistling:

if you are so interested in my previous posts you will see that i have stated that i feed it to PUPS along with raw !! once they reach four to six months they are feed raw only i only feed it as pups because in the wild they would be getting regurgitated meat and i think that raw might be a little to Rich for them compared with slightly digested stuff the pack would supply.

as six months is such a small part of their life span i dont see the relevance

Edited by ferret15

Ok fair enough then. Perhaps you should consider continuing to feed it into adulthood if your pups get such good muscle tone at under 6 months that its worth passers by commenting on it. Must be quite good stuff.