Hearth Tiles --Malt

I just used normal ceramic floor tiles for mine, from what I looked up it was more important to ensure you stck them down with the right stuff than anything else.. I read somewhere that the best type of adhesive to use is the multi surface stuff you can use on wooden floors, rather than the normal cement based stuff. I've had no issues at all with mine.. :thumbs:

fire cement ??

I just used normal ceramic floor tiles for mine, from what I looked up it was more important to ensure you stck them down with the right stuff than anything else.. I read somewhere that the best type of adhesive to use is the multi surface stuff you can use on wooden floors, rather than the normal cement based stuff. I've had no issues at all with mine.. :thumbs:

fire cement ??

I didn't use it mate, but then that was under a wood burner and the tiles don't get all that hot, not sure about a hearth for an open fire though..

I am just in the process of fitting a log burner at the moment, am planning on sitting the burner on stone and tiling at the back and sides of the burner in the inset. I too was wondering what tiles to use, have googled it and had mixed veiws on whether to just use normal tiles or heat resistant tiles, anyone in the know ??? But i think i am going down the quarry tile route, also had mixed reports on what adhesive to use. Again some say a cement based one and others say just normal tile adhesive, so anyone ???? I also have an old original oak beam that came out of a mates farmhouse that i am going to use as a mantel above the log burner when i have adged it off and cleaned it sanded and oiled ect, should look smart that when inn ( Have you seen the price of them in reclamation yards on fleabay :shok: Bandits come to mind :ninja: LOL ). So any thoughts gents on tiles and adhesive :thumbs: Cheers Atb

I am just in the process of fitting a log burner at the moment, am planning on sitting the burner on stone and tiling at the back and sides of the burner in the inset. I too was wondering what tiles to use, have googled it and had mixed veiws on whether to just use normal tiles or heat resistant tiles, anyone in the know ??? But i think i am going down the quarry tile route, also had mixed reports on what adhesive to use. Again some say a cement based one and others say just normal tile adhesive, so anyone ???? I also have an old original oak beam that came out of a mates farmhouse that i am going to use as a mantel above the log burner when i have adged it off and cleaned it sanded and oiled ect, should look smart that when inn ( Have you seen the price of them in reclamation yards on fleabay :shok: Bandits come to mind :ninja: LOL ). So any thoughts gents on tiles and adhesive :thumbs: Cheers Atb

You need to use a flexible adhesive /grout (cement based)this will allow for any expansion due to the heat.Depending on what sort of tiles you use you will need the appropriate impregnator/sealant to prevent staining ,ceramics do not need this but any natural stone and quarry tiles do.If you get stuck send me a PM ,Im a tiler by trade :thumbs:

• Like 2

sorted ------------got some left over tiles off my brother in law from when he did his log burner --- picked the fire up thurs morning fitted it friday and painted the room out --laid floor sat moved the furniture in today lit the fire at 6 --- had a peacefull night away from the mrs and her from me :D .... had it all smoke tested and checked over got carbon monoxide and smoke alarms being dropped off in the morning -- freebies so its all good -- and jacko thanks for staying off the bidding it was a bargain at 67 quid :thumbs: