What antiseptics do you lot use if your dogs have been bitten either by rats of foxes I had a call out this weekend just gone and my bitch got bit quite hard so her wound is quite deep on end of nose and muzzle I have used salt water but just wondered if savlon or something else would be better

. Tcp

If in doubt see a vet but for minor wounds.

Clean the wound to remove debris that harbour infection, clean really well squirting with syringe is a good way.

Use clean water, boiled cooled, add a little salt if you wish, I add salt but more for habit than anything else.

Most times dogs heal well but occasionally there will be an infection.

All the antiseptics, sprays etc are more for piece of mind than doing anything to treat any infection and dogs tend to heal in spite of rather than because off them.

The exception would be keeping deep wounds moist with wound gels etc as this will aid healing and encourage healing from inside rather than on the surface first.

If there is an infection the dogs system can’t deal with it will be in the tissues and so nothing put on the surface will stop it and the dog will then need antibiotic tablets etc

Link with info here

http://www.infectioncontrolservices.co.uk/wound_cleansing.htm

• Like 2

Salt water is as good as anything. Beware hibiscrub can cause a wound to breakdown in some cases. Good to wash and scrub up with but not so great to clean existing wounds.

I agree with that. We have always been taught to wash a wound with hibiscrub for it's antiseptic properties, and then rinse the wound after with saline ( salt water) so you don't leave a layer of hibiscrub on the actual tissue itself.

• Like 2

the most important thing with any wound is to wash it as soon as you can after it happens, even just with water. you can flush most of the muck/bacteria etc out before its even had time to establish in the wound. diluted pevidine (iodine based ) is really good, but make sure it is weak as strong solutions can break down healthy tissue as well as bacteria. if the dog can lick the wound it shouldn't need too much treatment unless a pucture, and then it will need to be flushed out once or twice a day. if the dog will let you, put a syringe into the wound and GENTLY wash out the pucture, if it is too sore for the dog to let you do this wash the surface . if an infection does take hold, get to the vets for antibiotics; as Sandymere said nothing you put on the surface will have any seffect on internalinfection

• 4 weeks later...

Salt water is as good as anything. Beware hibiscrub can cause a wound to breakdown in some cases. Good to wash and scrub up with but not so great to clean existing wounds.

I agree with that. We have always been taught to wash a wound with hibiscrub for it's antiseptic properties, and then rinse the wound after with saline ( salt water) so you don't leave a layer of hibiscrub on the actual tissue itself.

that's what i have been doing for years with no problems... :thumbs:

• Like 2