Pcp Can You Use An Ordinary Divers Bottle Or Does It Have To Be One Addapted For Airguns

The cylinder and valve do not share a serial number, they are separate units and can and are changed, but the cylinder is stamped with a serial number and the bs standard it is tested to, in steel case BS 5045 /1 and in the case of alloy bs5045 / 3. In most cases the cylinder and valve are made in different companies, the pictures are of MDE valves and the steel cylinder is probably a faber, dont know the alloy one. Cylinders are stamped at test, valves are not. The cylinder is hydraulically tested, the valve is not. it does not even need a valve to pass the hydro test.

If it is surface use you can use it for any surface purpose you want, so filling a boat is fine should you want to. Take your boat if it makes you happy, but it is the stamp on the cylinder that will count, and not the valve fitted. Ruddy great fire engines have surface use ba cylinders that do not have a gauge attached, it is a simple DIN valve, which rather blows away the argument that all surface cylinders have an attached gauge. Oxygen, helium and argon surface use cylinders do not have wee gauges fitted. Equally, spareair cylinders, for emergency use underwater have a submersible gauge attached to the cylinder valve.

However, it matters not a jot if you believe me or not, just google BS 5430 - the standard for the testing regimen, BS 5045, the standard they are manufactured to and which sets the testing time scales or IDEST, the independent set up for testing dive equipment. This is the standards that scuba shops work to and what a diver would expect to see when filling a cylinder. A few years ago, before scuba shops knew of the surface standards all cylinders required the same testing regimen, and if you wanted the cylinder filled then you got it tested. Now, because so many air gunners and paint ballers use scuba cylinders most shops know the standard. if you get the cylinder filled at a fire station or gas company, they will work to the surface standards.

I know the standards well, and the valve does not determine the test requirements. If in doubt check BS 5430 or BS 1968, the latest standard. However, i am not to proud to admit if i am wrong, and if you can show me any standard that says the valve determines the test i will happily admit i am wrong. happy googling - it may take you a while!

Well Moley, is he right? sounds pretty convincing to me. (Can't be arsed to Google it though, not my discussion) :boogy::boogy:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes they work with all pcp

With them all holding a dangerous amount of pressure they need testing every so many year's before they can be filled..and that is regardless of weather they are used for diving or filling a pcp up..

By most accounts .20!!!!