Nylon Purse Net Rings

I was making some purse nets and was having trouble finding a good 1inch ring in Aus , There was the usual asian quality rings around, but i was going to all that trouble hand making a net i wanted a little better ring , I had already spent about an hour on the phone trying to locate some and couldnt , I thought i will make my own so i did around 500off , They are strong and slip nice , and will never rust made from nylon 66 ,, Here is a couple of pics see what you think

Bernie

anhflu.jpg

2ahefs4.jpg

1g0mbn.jpg

what purpose does a ring do other than something to start and finish a net on and allow the draw cord to close. why does a net need 2 rings infact why does a net need any rings when a slider would surfice at one end only :hmm:

I was thinking the ring doesnt do that much , but it easy to tie the net to

I prob should elaborate a little , I make injection moulding tools for a job , So i made one for the ring

I have been using these for around a month they work very well ,, the twine used in my net is plastic and now the ring

Bernie

Edited by bjay

Stainless steel butterfly wall ties what bricklayers use un twist them & straighten them then use a piece of inch pipe as a former to bend them round, cut them leaving say a 1mm gap in the two ends & braze them. Spot on for purse nets.

Bjay,,,you say you we're having trouble locating rings in oz,,,, could you just not order a load from here in the uk,,, and pay the extra post....... Mind like me and Paul said,, they don't realy need them,, and you seem to have come up with a good solution anyway

I have some old nets here with nylon curtain rings on. They work just the same as any other ring. I was ferreting a lot of sand dunes at the time and the salt in the sand would rust the normal rings in a season so I tried the nylon ones. Worked just fine.

TC

Paulus is right,, seen plenty of nets without rings at all,,, also seen a lot made with that plastic blue one inch pipe,,, cut in to thin strips,, about 3 mil or so

This is what my mate does. cuts strips off then rubs it up with strips of sandpaper till nice and smooth. he is a lazy doley with nothing else to do though.

I would be worried the heat in your country might cause them to perish ?. but as said ive got plenty nets with no rings , sliders etc even got a few made with a old wooden ruler , cant you go to a metal work shop and explain what you want because even here theres a vast difference between a inch ring and a good heavy inch ring

Nothing wrong with your plastic rings in my opinon, aslong as they dont get brittle and shatter. they certainly arnt going to rot. And apart from begining the net, there is no real reason for a top ring, ive seen plenty knitted to a 30mm bar, and only a bottom ring to "Purse" up the draw string. Hope they do you good.

Edited by Kenny.B