Knee Pads For Mole Catching

interesting reading these posts by experienced mole catchers,i see some people say they set one or two traps per mole,for someone that doesnt know much about mole trapping how can you tell how many moles there are in a field / garden?

I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject and most of the scientists I read stated that there were an average of 3 moles per hectare and that moles are solitary other then the breeding season. Just shows that scientists don't have a flipping clue! As earth-thrower has said above you never really know until you put the traps in.

I took 6 from a 25 sq m garden and have been back twice for another 3. The field at the back of our house is absolutely riddled with tumps and yet I only got about 1 mole per 200 sq m. It beats me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

quad bikes rule, it means you have a life after work, when on foot , all i wanted to do after dark was sit, once i got a bike, i was out lamping with dogs or gun, pick up days , thurday /friday were a

Yep, ive an old camping kip mat cut into squares and tucked into the knee pockets of my work trousers. Saves alot of grumbling.

Well mate funny you should ask,cause im CERTAINLY not one of the fastest molecatchers, but it doesnt bother me.I have never rushed setting a mole trap,and im comfortable with it.

interesting reading these posts by experienced mole catchers,i see some people say they set one or two traps per mole,for someone that doesnt know much about mole trapping how can you tell how many moles there are in a field / garden?

I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject and most of the scientists I read stated that there were an average of 3 moles per hectare and that moles are solitary other then the breeding season. Just shows that scientists don't have a flipping clue! As earth-thrower has said above you never really know until you put the traps in.

I took 6 from a 25 sq m garden and have been back twice for another 3. The field at the back of our house is absolutely riddled with tumps and yet I only got about 1 mole per 200 sq m. It beats me.

Interesting stuff.

Interesting stuff.

To be honest I think that there is little current and relevant scientific opinion about moles. They are too hard to study because of their life styles. You guys who have been catching them in numbers for years know far more about moles than DEFRA and all the other organisations who have studied them.

Fact is, the moles still the most mysterious mammal in the uk.......thank God.

Having caught a few alive lately i was seriously considering making some kind of "run" for them out of clear pipe, to observe them. One thing i have learnt about the moles is that they don't care where they are, if a worms there they'll eat it!

I have worn kneepads all my working life and I am glad I did because knee trouble will creep up and bite your arse when you hit 50, the best ones are the sort coal miners used to wear, they were made from car tyres with leather straps and metal buckles ,these were made by men who had worked on their knees for years and knew what was required ,they are heavy and bulky but you soon get used to them , they will support your weight ,keep your knees dry and will not be constantly slipping down like modern ones , cheapest of the lot and they last for years.