Lack Of Game Do Something About It

it is no good me moaning about lack of rabitts when i was takeing hundreds of rabitts in the seventies and eighties.ilike most on here i didnt give it a thought vast swathes of land up here is dead completely empty .which used to be teaming with hares and rabitts who is to blame ? we all are for exspecting the game to be able to handle being shot at ferreted netted and lurcherd.plus foxes plus myxy.the first thing to do is to introduce new stock net rabitts hares and reintroduce them into empty areas.there are some good grass fields where i live with good thick hedges ideal for new stock to reside in .also foxes need to be eradicated in these areas .game keeper land nearly allways has plenty of hares and rabitts on it because it is not over hunted and the foxes are regulary culled.there are still some good pockets of land which can supply the needed stock.once restocked then with senseble managemeant happy days can be had again.but doing nothing will not resolve the situation things will only just get worse

• Like 4

Unfortunately if you were to go to the trouble of re populating an area that's been bladdered by all the nobheads they would soon re bladder it.

I've deliberately avoided a lot of permissions this year due to low numbers and took it easy on the others but the rabbits are breeding now and getting left alone by me.

• Like 3

up here now hardly anyone has got lurchers .whaht has done a really piece of good land of several hundred acres is a idiot who contnualy went out with his .22 and shot rabitts all year round from his landrover and just let them laying on the floor.it is very disheartening to contInually find dead shot rabitts while out and about.i must agree with you that restraint is needed on some lands and that avoiding low rabitt number areas is a very good idea .now i am a old man the urge to killl everything in sight has died down but as you know some people never mature and will allways be thoughtless of the future welfare of thier quarry.the other week i went past a pheashant pen near a public footpath and the syndicate had shot a fair few rabitts and had thrown them into the tops of hawthorn hedges i was boiling mad for weeks and if i had seen them i would have torn a strip off them .just because someone has shooting rights it does not justify that sort of behviour.whaht a tragic waste of life and of meat.the hare situation is very bad up here ever since the keeper had a hare shoot 250 dead hares.they have never recoverd from it .i still think i will still drop some rabitts on barren land i have to try something to improve the situation

• Like 2

agree with that too mate,some rifleboys thought they,d caught me poaching thier permission,anyway i soon told them that they are a pack of c,,,,,s,leaving big piles of dead rabbits,foxes right were they park thier truck.

Reintroduction is a tricky area i would think, Everyone is in different situations as far as permission and who else shares your permission....

My point being my main permissions are farmland, the main reason I have them is to help control the rabbit population ( I'm by no means a pest controller or professional by the way lol), I also hunt with 2 other lads who have their own permission and they have the same obligation to the farmers.... It's up to you to look after your land, try to hunt within the season, heavy pregnant does let them go, lay less net towards the end if the season ( give the dogs a run, if they're as crap as mine you'll miss a fair few lol), just catch what you need after Christmas, you should make a decent dent in the first few months anyway...

I know you're gonna get the idiots who just kill everything for the sake of it, but there's nothing you can do about that is there,

There's a small spot we ferreted this year which is literally riddled, we had 64 for the day and that didn't scratch the surface, but no one can get to them it is secure as secure can be... Only natural predators, and they will never make the dent in population like man... We've got a few trips lined up there next year, but the landowner doesn't want them gone just controlled...also some places seem to bounce back every year, I think if you look at Tomo's threads over the last few years.. He takes big numbers but obviously manages the population correctly to do it regularly...

I hope in your situation it goes well, but I fear there's a reason for such a unhealthy population, be it natural or idiots with guns etc, you can't control everything

Good luck

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1

i agree heavily peregnant does and newly bitrthed does should be released i have got to the stage lately of not wanting to lamp hares ever again .and if i catch a pregnant rabitt doe i just feel very guilty and a bit depressed over it .especially if she is carrying a large amount of future sport.there was one peice of woodland thaht held so many rabitts ferreting it was impossible .it was like the london tube if you put ferrets in they would come out right up the other end of the woood the warren was thaht big

I was speaking to a neighbor who used to go ferreting back in the 80s and he said that the tabbot pipulations deadful you used to be able to walk in any field and it was packe full of rabbits!

I really hope you've done that on your phone and that you have really fat fingers :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cheers, D.

• Like 2

In my limited experience keepered estates are generally the best for game, I am fortunate to go on some great ground which is very well populated with game, everything from rabbits, hares, foxes, fallow, muntjac & roe. When I do go lamping (which hasn't been much this season) its just as much a buzz to see what is on the land. One farm I go on used to have a pair of Roe Deer on it, the farmer said run what you want but just don't let your dogs chase any roe deer, now a few years on he has 7 Roe, he also has a pheasant shoot. The land is just over 2500 acres and in my humble opinion one of the best places in UK for hunting, (sorry I am not prepared to say where it is, no offence) thankfully its rarely poached due to being quite open and anyone coursing would be seen straight away, his keepers are always out and about at night so it always holds lots of game.

Like you said some people have no respect for anything and mess things up for themselves, I once took a guy out on some land I had which was teaming with munty, I would catch the odd one accidentally every now and then, I found out he was back week in week out until everything was gone....! Through persistence, manners and respect I have managed to get a lot of permission on some fantastic ground, I have also learned to only share it with those I can trust....

• Like 1

i agree heavily peregnant does and newly bitrthed does should be released i have got to the stage lately of not wanting to lamp hares ever again .and if i catch a pregnant rabitt doe i just feel very guilty and a bit depressed over it .especially if she is carrying a large amount of future sport.there was one peice of woodland thaht held so many rabitts ferreting it was impossible .it was like the london tube if you put ferrets in they would come out right up the other end of the woood the warren was thaht big

lamping hares is illegal and reading some of your posts i think your full of it

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 1

lamping hares is illegal and reading some of your posts i think your full of it

isit because you wanted to be blackgreyhound? lol

• Like 2

Unfortunately if you were to go to the trouble of re populating an area that's been bladdered by all the nobheads they would soon re bladder it.

I've deliberately avoided a lot of permissions this year due to low numbers and took it easy on the others but the rabbits are breeding now and getting left alone by me.

and me its such a shame that we cant eving have a good time with the ferrets now its balls that this ban is on us cose if this was pre ban alot of people would have move on to other game given them a chans to come back but there geting hamerd week in week out up my way and am seeing my pop disaper for good if wee dont give them chanse atb

blackmaggie..i only have this to say to you /\ WHY SHOULD THE EAGLE SHEATH ITS CLAWS AND FOLD ITSWINGS AND SIT IN THE EYRIE ? WHEN THE EAGLE CAN UNSHEATH ITS CLAWS AND UNFOLD ITS WINGS AND FLY INTO THE SUN.THE HWAK HEADED MEN AN D THE JACKAL HEADED MEN THINK I AM OF THE DOVE BUT ITTLE DO THE FOOLS KNOW MY EYES ARE UPON THEM ALL :victory: