A Few Little Outings On The Rats With Lakie

Hello all

Ive been bringing on my supposed black and tan lakeland bitch on rats recently as she is about 11 months old now. She is really going to be used on foxes and has seen a couple of dead ones and tends to bay at them which looks promising! Every night after work ive been taking her out around the yard to hunt for some rats.

At first she knew how to chase the rats but didnt know what to do when she got one, its been a good few weeks and alot of constant determination on my part to get her going that now she has begun to realise what to do with them. She has seen about 20 rats but only killed 8, she has taken a very long time to cotton on how to kill them and still now she tends to play about with it abit before killing it. Unlike my mates JRT that just goes in quick shakes like mad then job done. My bitch has been bitten a few times now so stays away from the front end and tends to fling em if they try and bite. She marks holes and under troughs well and im beginning to trust her nose. We have had a good few digs now ! (Thought u guys said rats dont burrow very deep!!) ive dug up half the woods after one bloody rat but the bitch was so determined to get the rat I couldnt give up! She has just started killing them by herself without the aid of me!

Ill keep at it with her and hopefully keep showing her the vermin! This is my first terrier so dont really know whether its this normal to take this long for them to learn the ropes!

The pics are of a few little outings, some before she had her matted her cut!

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

Many thanks

Gk!

• Like 3

i got a 9 month old lakeland, clearing up rearing field other day and mice running everywhere, at first didn't know what to do but chase them, til one bit her then it was killing time. at the end of the day she was obsessed with every bit of wood we lifted off the floor.

• Like 1