question, for lads who know what they are on about

hello all, just wondering how far will a lurcher run after a deer?? roughly? my lady took off after one while out on her run and didnt come back for over an hour. was thru thick forrest so i couldnt see anything of what happened,

i had a dog that on one occasion ran a deer and we lost sight of him in thick undergrowth we waited for over an hour and he came back to the exact spot we lost him cover in blood I'm glad to say it wasn't his i think as we weren't there to retrieve the deer he decided he would eat it him self but it was obvious this is what he had done as the blood covered him from the tip of his nose to his middle

Guest Frank

A deer dog in the making for sure conor. :D:thumbs:

She is young yet, give her time, some easy slips ect, with lamp and what not. :drink:

They will chase, till they cant chase no more, or if cought, the good ones that is.

Frank.

Its to be expected for the dog to be gone a while in forestry and either stay with the kill after the course or be hunting a drag but an hours a fair long time .

Its the only trouble when your dogs off in the woods sometimes they come back without a mark on em not even a bit of hair and theyve had one over and if they dont back track you will be leaving dead deer all over the place as its not easy

to backtrack the course yourself and its suprising how they blend in when down.

As frank says looks like hes in the making teach him to go back for dropped dummys with the command go back when you send him back for it then when he has something over he may take you back to it that sometimes works.

Myself if the dog not backtrack i wouldnt be letting him have his head in the woods as it will be a regular thing and you will be doing yourself no favours unless of course your good at tracking :thumbs: .

Same thing happened with my mates dog, it went off after a deer in some woods and was gone for about an hour, when the dog returned he had obvious signs of a kill, covered in blood, muck etc. A couple of weeks later he took off after a deer again with another dog, the other dog came back alone and the dog was never seen again despite best efforts to find him :( The not knowing exactly what happened is the worst part, youve just got to hope that the dog didnt suffer too much if it died in action :(

The scent of a deer sure is addictive to our four-legged friends.... :yes: Have losta few dogs for a while myself over the years. Always a great relief when you see them appear again. Its the worst feeling in the world when your trusty canine has gone AWOL tight to a deers scut.... :doh::doh: good hunting JD

Do your self a favor and invest in a tracking collar. It is a must for us when hunting hogs in forrest if the make a catch it is much easier to find them, this would be a benifit to you when the dog stays with his catch.

Stevemac

Guest reload

I Dont let em run in forestry its hard to get a kill and bloody hard work all round aswell as the risk of injury.

I doubt it did a hour course, just followed the scent, i dont like that, once lost, i like em to return, quick and efficient for the deer game.

I am sure the dog will learn :yes:

Good hunting Reload

av had mine lift deer and f**k off for 15-20 minutes i hate it cause you never know if the dogs hit somthing and lying injured or caught what it was chasing,one of mine is strong minded and will chase and not give up my other dog knows when its beat and comes back.i suppose thats where a tracker comes in handy but there not cheap.

A couple of years back I watched Jess....me cousins (rob-s..off here) 14 year old retired rabbit dog course a Roe for about 2 miles over aload of fields on the trent flats.....................crazy old bitch.........she'd been an excelent rabbit dog in her time, but had never really seen any big stuff...

she was almost dead by the time she'd got back............................quite embarrasing really as we were on permission after rabbits....and the farmer was drilling the field next to us as the chase commenced :blink: :blink:

i lost a good 3/4 bull x young dog in the same circumstances last season, slipped him on a herd of fallow and was never to be seen again, we shouldn`t really have been where we were but we hung about for a few hours calling him to no avail, no sight or sound of him ! a total mystery, even went back a while later and explored all the usual avenues dog wardens,police stations, local kennels etc everything apart from knocking on the keepers door :icon_eek: maybe the keeper caught up with him and dealt with him in his own way or maybe he hit a tree and lay quiet injured or even dead who knows? we tried our best to find him and eventually just put it down to bad luck, a real shame really but he was out doing what he was bred for and they dont normally die in the kennels :no: