Day Walkers

I used to have over 2,000 acres of permission near Lincoln in the early eighties.

Used to do daytime only with our Garstang and Pilling trained dogs :laugh:

Had several 3/3 and best day of 11, December onward.

Only because there was loads of hares. Our dogs were AVERAGE,or so we thought :whistling:

Cheers, D.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a sad fact that too many lurcher owners these days see their dogs as some sort of kudos thing. Whatever happened to the lurchers which went out quietly and worked with no fanfare,no shouting, no

You know what I'm sick of reading on here, day walkers bragging about their dogs and when it comes to the crunch, don't live up to the hype. It's f***ing easy to bum up a dog on here, get couple of yo

A good dog is exactly that don't matter a shite if it runs day,night,field or fen...sadly it's just part of the dog scene all this knocking of dogs and snidey remarks about their owners...to a degree

You know what I'm sick of reading on here, day walkers bragging about their dogs and when it comes to the crunch, don't live up to the hype. It's f***ing easy to bum up a dog on here, get couple of your mates to agree or better still, have a few accounts yourself to verify the claims.

Take the Lucas and bulldozer match. Both dogs before the match killing 5/5, a 4,5,6 minute course the norm. That's half an hour of flat out running. Some dogs to do that. Plenty to back up the claims 'with me own eyes'. Best 2 dogs on the net if not the isles if you believe the hype. Finally we all get a chance to hear what these mighty hare slayers can do on the most worshipped ground....... 2 f***ing hares each. And at that one is a kick up, bravo, give me a pup pleeeeease.

Then the self claimed winner of the draw(yes the kick up merchant) goes on to race in the coveted forley cup. This cup has be heralded as the ultimate test for all lurchers, your dogs some dog to win this...... Only the best have done it..... Result? 3/3? 4/4? 5/5? No, 2 f***ing hares and one was already f***ing run!!!!

Now I'm only using these 2 dogs as examples of the bullshit that gets spewed on here on a daily bases. Iceman had a puppy competition, I glanced at it occasionally. Think it ran from August to May. These dogs were the offspring of super dogs that folk could recite the ancestory away back to roman times. Most of what I read the dogs were catching f**k all. Pups from legendary dogs, f**k all???? So I ask you, why the f**k do these dogs get bummed up to f**k but when it's time to show your hand, the owners are left standing with their pants down!!! Is it because its all just hype to sell pups? Surely not...

I can sympathise with your annoyance Baw, but as for Lucas ,though I have not seen him run myself, a couple of respected. experienced dog men, whose opinions I trust have and they rate him a very good animal indeed.

On some land a lot of decent dogs can make a catch or two,and flatter only to deceive when they are on other ground where the quarry is either turbo-charged and straight lines them.or there is an abundance of hedges and drains for them to throw off the dog and pipe into.

The fact that his owner has been willing to run him in public out of his comfort zone of home ground ,speaks for itself. he has run and caught his game on all sorts of ground . i think it is a given he is the real deal. The other dog is still young and may improve further so I'd say its too soon to give a definitive opinion of him because he may get even better.

Good points mate. I wasn't really aiming it at Lucas as much as I was bulldozer but had to include him cos that was the match. Gorger has stood up to the plate, stood toe to toe with 'the best fen dog' on the fens. I've a lot of respect for that and gorger knows that. Yes bulldozer is a young dog but wouldn't you agree, if he's young and relatively unproven, all the more reason he shouldn't be at stud? £1000 at that, blimey, says what the coursing lads are all about now don't you think?

The owner of Bulldozer is entitled to charge what he likes for a lining.

As to whether it is worth it ? I couldnt possibly comment .

I think u can look at bully 2ways young and un proven in some people's eyes young and proven in other people's eyes. When u have had the benefit of seeing the dog in question back up the story's of 4s and 5s on best land and best quarry with your own eyes its difficult not to pipe up and argue the point but after all its an open forum and people all have opinions. People all know this year the forley wasn't great people pulling out or injured dogs but jb and bully can only run whoever turns up and he beat anybody who did but people also forget at 17months this dog competed in his first season on the fen against mature seasoned dogs and in 5 matches in the forley didn't miss a hare now no other dog in the comp did that not even fly the winner. It's a matter of opinion wether that makes him a proven dog or not and for the men who have paid the 1000 stud fee well it's obvious which way there opinion went. Then there's the fact of well respected coursing men who's opinions mean something that have all seen this dog run the likes of m baker j Davis jim lofty d reed m Loverage the list goes they also seen this dog back up the storys this is y bully has a busy summer off lol in my opinion he is proven and his generations of breeding from both sure and dam are also proven so for that reason alone I think he is well worth the 1000 stud.
You make the argument that he is proven on his performance on the field

.Well he's had a short career so far, he may yet improve, how many seasons has he been knocking them over?

.As you say , he can only beat whom he is matched against.

My counter argument would be that he is NOT proven as a stud, simply because he has NOT produced top pups . Until he has I would look somewhere else for a lining, especially at a grand a squirt .I'd look at. studs like his sire, or other dogs that have produced some Bulldozer's, and dogs of that quality .They are the proven studs. NOT their pups.Just my take on it.

No that is correct to a certain degree he isn't a proven stud until he produces top stock. The lines and genetics are there though I think next season will show what the dogs produced as there will be some very well bred pups running finally lol. The reason lads have used the dog and paid the 1000 so far is on his ability and sheer physical stature of the dog all this talk about bully producing but we all have to remember it also goes down to the bitch too. For example old barny he went to a lot of bitches and produced average stock but when he was paired with jims old bitch they clicked and it seems everything they produced was excellent but barny didn't start off cheap then get expensive when he produced neither did Ozzie people all took a chance and paid a 1000 on there ability and there lines that's the other side of the argument atb
  • Like 1