Sporadic Biter

I've had this before myself, it could be that as we come into the breeding season he's getting more tetchy if he's kept with other hobs & he's on the receiving end of the're aggression that he see's you as a rival he's basically a teenager full of testosterone, I would not have him near or within scent of your jils if you can.Also if the bloodline is a little to close (inbreeding) I've found this can throw up the odd savage, I had a polecat Jill that was a bit to inbred & she was untameable/unpredictable I got savaged daily until I ended up giving her the 'good news' she was one of a small number I couldn't tame over nearly 40 years of keeping ferrets.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If its only now and then it sounds like he might settle down , but it could be age ,hormones, something scaring him .If your handling him twice a day and hes no grabbing you stick with it i think he w

How many of us on here have had ferrets with genuine 'issues' that could never be tamed? There's too many bunny huggers on here who's ferrets have never been near a warren that always protest that eve

I have not been on the forum for long but I think I may be able to help. His problem may be down to association, the first time out and your dog probably scared him, you chased him and he bit you! I t

How many of us on here have had ferrets with genuine 'issues' that could never be tamed? There's too many bunny huggers on here who's ferrets have never been near a warren that always protest that every ferret can be tamed but that's nonsense. Some are just temperamental regardless off upbringing, feeding, hormones or handling the same as you can get dogs or cats which bite for no reason.

The worst I've had was a hob who was really soft at home but an absolute psycho if you tried to pick him up when out hunting.

• Like 1

Mate i know exactly what you mean with this ferret.I have kept ferrets for 30 odd years and i bred a litter last year and one jill from that litter was just not right.Exactly the same situation as yourself with this ferret,it was actively trying to take my finger off with my full arm still attached.This ferret would grab full power and shake and chew on any bit of my flesh that she could get hold of.And im not talking about a nip here! this thing was trying to do damage every time.Now we have all had the odd nip now and again with young ferrets especially out hunting but this was different and ive never seen behaviour like this before.One day she was fine and the next we were back to square one.Very unusual behaviour indeed and thankfully a one off for me,i spent hours upon hours giving extra handling to this ferret and fellow ferreters told me to put it down but my stubborn side wouldnt let me give up on it as id never seen this before.Eventually she calmed a wee bit but on occasion would still just go off on one for no reason so sadly she had to go as she was just too unpredictable.My two sons aged 9-7 years are into ferreting in a big way and the last thing i wanted was that thing latching onto one of them and putting them off.Good luck with yours mate hope your story has a better outcome than mine

h

Some just aren't right in the head. Very expensive flower food if castration doesn't work.

maybe so, I'd always be wondering how he might have ended up if I don't give him a chance though bud. He's a big strong and quick bugger, I've got quite high hopes for him as a worker.....but obviously the biting thing needs to stop!

es big strong and quick. hope you like digging mate..

h

Some just aren't right in the head. Very expensive flower food if castration doesn't work.

maybe so, I'd always be wondering how he might have ended up if I don't give him a chance though bud. He's a big strong and quick bugger, I've got quite high hopes for him as a worker.....but obviously the biting thing needs to stop!
es big strong and quick. hope you like digging mate..
my smallest jill kills more often then any ferret I've ever had, shes a bugger for it!

Over the years I've Had a few really good workers that have never quietend down ,would all of a sudden just bite for no reason,so I just use a leather glove when handling them . one is 7yrs old handle him every day but can never trust him.but an excerlent worker

Over the years I've Had a few really good workers that have never quietend down ,would all of a sudden just bite for no reason,so I just use a leather glove when handling them . one is 7yrs old handle him every day but can never trust him.but an excerlent worker

That's the type I'm on about, 7 years though feck that. Any stock of mine bit for no reason its pts.

How many of us on here have had ferrets with genuine 'issues' that could never be tamed? There's too many bunny huggers on here who's ferrets have never been near a warren that always protest that every ferret can be tamed but that's nonsense. Some are just temperamental regardless off upbringing, feeding, hormones or handling the same as you can get dogs or cats which bite for no reason.

The worst I've had was a hob who was really soft at home but an absolute psycho if you tried to pick him up when out hunting.

I agree with the above mosty but I would always go down the taming route if all else fails I'd pass them on to a "bunny hugger" I work all my ferrets & I'm not prepared to put my hand down in any warren to grab a ferret latched on to a rabbit only to have it savaged by an un trustworthy beast!

I'd never breed dogs or ferrets to be honest pal, too many of both already out there.

Going to give him benefit of the doubt with him being young still, but if it keeps happening I'll have a decision to make, need full confidence on your workers!

Anyone ever had this, cos I haven't.....

A couple of months ago I put a thread up about my hob, at the time he was only 7 months old and to cut a long story short, I took him out for the first time, he tried to run off, I had to run after him, dog got excited, ferret got scared and bit my hand.

Well since then I've not taken him out, I decided to leave him until next season to mature a bit and see how he goes then. Simply because I'm not convinced he's not going to either run off, or go down a burrow and refuse to come out. So he's been exercised in the yard for a couple of hours a day. He's soft but very energetic, very full on. Anyway, today I did the usual and let the jills out for a couple of hours and then let him out for a bit, went to put him in a minute ago and he was stood in some tyres I've put out for them to climb on, I called him and he ran at me and totally out of the blue grabbed my finger and shook....and it wasn't a playful grab, the f****r meant it! It wasn't even like a put my hand to him and he grabbed it, he actually ran to grab it.

It's proper done my head in, what on earth is going through his head? I've had ferrets before that have been a bit intense and they've calmed down loads when worked, I'm going to take him out to see how he gets on, if that doesn't work I don't really know what to do. Seriously can't be arsed with a ferret, or any other animal for that matter, where you can't be 100% sure it's not going to grab hold of you just out of the blue!

Suggestions anyone? he's around 9 or 10 months old now.

I have not been on the forum for long but I think I may be able to help. His problem may be down to association, the first time out and your dog probably scared him, you chased him and he bit you! I think that unless you can change his mindset when it comes to his relationship with you, you may always have this unpredictability. I would reccomend very regular handling and to feed him treats by hand during the handling and also regular positive interaction with your dog, the one that got excited. When he bit you for the second time was your dog around, had you been handling your dog? He may associate the smell, sound or sight of your dog with that moment of fear when he was 7 months old so I would introduce your dog, through scent and sight throughout the handling sessions. An excited dog to a young ferret could seem like an angry giant! :) You never know, he could turn out to be the best ferret you ever had, i think that we can sometimes underestimate the value of our working relationships with ferrets; could be hard work but worth it I reckon!

• Like 1