Sporadic Biter

Anyone ever had this, cos I haven't.....

A couple of months ago I put a thread up about my hob, at the time he was only 7 months old and to cut a long story short, I took him out for the first time, he tried to run off, I had to run after him, dog got excited, ferret got scared and bit my hand.

Well since then I've not taken him out, I decided to leave him until next season to mature a bit and see how he goes then. Simply because I'm not convinced he's not going to either run off, or go down a burrow and refuse to come out. So he's been exercised in the yard for a couple of hours a day. He's soft but very energetic, very full on. Anyway, today I did the usual and let the jills out for a couple of hours and then let him out for a bit, went to put him in a minute ago and he was stood in some tyres I've put out for them to climb on, I called him and he ran at me and totally out of the blue grabbed my finger and shook....and it wasn't a playful grab, the f****r meant it! It wasn't even like a put my hand to him and he grabbed it, he actually ran to grab it.

It's proper done my head in, what on earth is going through his head? I've had ferrets before that have been a bit intense and they've calmed down loads when worked, I'm going to take him out to see how he gets on, if that doesn't work I don't really know what to do. Seriously can't be arsed with a ferret, or any other animal for that matter, where you can't be 100% sure it's not going to grab hold of you just out of the blue!

Suggestions anyone? he's around 9 or 10 months old now.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If its only now and then it sounds like he might settle down , but it could be age ,hormones, something scaring him .If your handling him twice a day and hes no grabbing you stick with it i think he w

How many of us on here have had ferrets with genuine 'issues' that could never be tamed? There's too many bunny huggers on here who's ferrets have never been near a warren that always protest that eve

I have not been on the forum for long but I think I may be able to help. His problem may be down to association, the first time out and your dog probably scared him, you chased him and he bit you! I t

it might just be because its still young i used to have one about the same age that was fine to handle but it went for you nearly every time you went to pick it up but once in your hands it was fine just persevier with it pal it might come right in the end atb with it :thumbs:

Seems you keep him separate from the jills? If he is entire could be a hormonal thing? Are your jills coming into/in season? Did he draw blood? Anything else noted like weight gain/loss or changes in eating/drinking, toileting etc?

More info would be great, but some animals just have their 'quirks' that aren't always ideal. Usually the more intelligent the animal the more quirks it has.

Atb.

Seems you keep him separate from the jills? If he is entire could be a hormonal thing? Are your jills coming into/in season? Did he draw blood? Anything else noted like weight gain/loss or changes in eating/drinking, toileting etc?

More info would be great, but some animals just have their 'quirks' that aren't always ideal. Usually the more intelligent the animal the more quirks it has.

Atb.

Yeah could very well be that. When I got him I put him in with my spayed jill that was getting on a bit, she used to boss him around a fair bit and then one day I went to the hutch and she was flat out, died half an hour later but she had bite marks on her neck....not throat, bite marks similar to what jills get when being mated. So I got two new jills and basically he came into season and was hammering them so I had to seperate them. I guess it could be pent up frustration? I'm going to get him castrated soon so I can keep them all together again so fingers crossed he'll calm down after that.

No changes in habits at all, he was piling on the pounds a bit so I've cut down his food a little, nothing major though.

sounds like hes just playin wit you ferrets play ruff espescially when there excited.imo you can never trust a ferret 100% even well handled ferrets like yours like a bite now and then :thumbs:

nah, definitely not playing pal. I've had ferrets long enough to know when one's playing and when it means business.

And re. trusting them, I've never had an issue with it at all. Every ferret I've ever had has been a bit nippy when young, but after a couple of weeks, a month tops, they've been 100% with me. Had the odd ones that would bite strangers, but not me....until now!!! :laugh:

Atb.

Yeah could very well be that. When I got him I put him in with my spayed jill that was getting on a bit, she used to boss him around a fair bit and then one day I went to the hutch and she was flat out, died half an hour later but she had bite marks on her neck....not throat, bite marks similar to what jills get when being mated. So I got two new jills and basically he came into season and was hammering them so I had to seperate them. I guess it could be pent up frustration? I'm going to get him castrated soon so I can keep them all together again so fingers crossed he'll calm down after that.

No changes in habits at all, he was piling on the pounds a bit so I've cut down his food a little, nothing major though.

Atb.

Yeah, get his nuts off! Would probably expect up to 3 weeks after castration for him to settle more as the hormones seem to bring out the aggressive side to him, but if he hasn't drawn blood I'd likely expect him to settle down well once the excess testosterone is out of his system. Wouldn't give up on him just yet, some animals are just quirky. Atb.

Atb.

Atb.

Yeah, get his nuts off! Would probably expect up to 3 weeks after castration for him to settle more as the hormones seem to bring out the aggressive side to him, but if he hasn't drawn blood I'd likely expect him to settle down well once the excess testosterone is out of his system. Wouldn't give up on him just yet, some animals are just quirky. Atb.
oh he drew blood alright!!! yeah I'll get his balls off and see how he goes, I'm sure that'll help, better flamin had do....fingers bloody killin!

Some just aren't right in the head. Very expensive flower food if castration doesn't work.

maybe so, I'd always be wondering how he might have ended up if I don't give him a chance though bud. He's a big strong and quick bugger, I've got quite high hopes for him as a worker.....but obviously the biting thing needs to stop!

Atb.

Atb.

oh he drew blood alright!!! yeah I'll get his balls off and see how he goes, I'm sure that'll help, better flamin had do....fingers bloody killin!

Once he's castrated and given a few weeks to settle, let us know if he keeps up with the biting episodes. Sounds like the behaviour is hormonal but once he's done and can live in with the jills should really help, ferts do so much better in company rather than isolation. Anyway, keep us posted on how he gets on. Atb.

Edited to say: Couldn't find my smallest violin to play for your finger :laugh:

Edited by ferret100

Thats it rob i think give it a good go when spaded.Or it will always be on your mind what he would of turning out like. But to be honest i would not put to much time into it some ferrets wont be tamed no matter how much you handle them, theirs nothing worse than getting locked on to.. A hob has a powerful bite as you know Ha! and ive been their.Not nice!! If it keeps it up pet cemetery ha!

If its only now and then it sounds like he might settle down , but it could be age ,hormones, something scaring him .If your handling him twice a day and hes no grabbing you stick with it i think he will settle down pretty quick

• Like 1